Anyone writing their dissertation?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Those who will be graduating in 2020 and students going in their 3rd years, are you starting to write or plan out your dissertation?
How are you going about it?
TraceyStewart
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I'm in the same position and haven't started mine yet. Don't know how long it is or the subject. Do I make my own subject pertaining to my degree in sociology?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not yet.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TraceyStewart)
Hello, I'm in the same position and haven't started mine yet. Don't know how long it is or the subject. Do I make my own subject pertaining to my degree in sociology?
Yes you can make your own subject within your course.
C.EC.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I graduated last week but if it’s any help when I wrote my dissertation we were told to focus on reading around our topic, perfecting the question and writing a literature review
TraceyStewart
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for replying. I'm really worried I won't get my degree as my marks are 55% highest. Feel I'll stumble at the last hurdle
Anonymous #1
Thank you for replying. I'm really worried I won't get my degree as my marks are 55% highest. Feel I'll stumble at the last hurdle
I feel the same tbh. I got 2.2 this year as I had a lot of emotional and health issues. So I'm worried too
Anonymous #1
(Original post by C.EC.)
Hi,
I graduated last week but if it’s any help when I wrote my dissertation we were told to focus on reading around our topic, perfecting the question and writing a literature review
How about an humanities dissertation? I'm supposed to write 10000 words. Topic is antisemitism
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do I make my own subject pertaining to my degree in sociology?
This will depend on what your department wants students to do. Some will provide you with a choice of topics or titles, while others will allow you to construct your own.
C.EC.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did a BA in Ancient history and Archaeology so mine was also humanities based! It was 12,000 words - sooo long! Over summer define your question; what do you want to look at within antisemitism? what case studies will you use to study this? Why study it for your topic- what will a dissertation on this aid? Find some key texts or reoccurring authors. Define a question or title for the dissertation over summer and go from there. If later down the line you find the question does fit what you’ve written you can always tweak it so it’s fits You might want to start draft a literature review too, that’s basically a mini context explaining previous research by other academics
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep, I'm starting my dissertation this year. I've formulated a question and done a very small literature review to get an idea of the current ideas on the topic.

No idea where to go from here. As my dissertation is based on secondary research I have no idea how the 'methodology' works i.e. do you know need to make a note of what search terms you use, what your inclusion/exclusion criteria are, what databases you've used etc (like a systematic review) or can you just review the literature yourself as you wish and condense the topics into your own argument as needed?

Basically, I need to wait until I meet with my supervisor before I do anything else.
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We did some dissertation planning in second year, and in third year we're expected to use that plan and write our diss.
In reality? I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do, or what I should do it on.
I would love to start right now and get a jump start and get everything prepared, but, life is busy, and that's just how it goes.

Best of luck in starting yours!
Joshua
C.EC.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sounds like you’re ahead of the game already! For methodology I would explain your criteria and why you used the case studies/data you’re using chat to your supervisor, they’ll be impressed!
(Original post by Angury)
Yep, I'm starting my dissertation this year. I've formulated a question and done a very small literature review to get an idea of the current ideas on the topic.

No idea where to go from here. As my dissertation is based on secondary research I have no idea how the 'methodology' works i.e. do you know need to make a note of what search terms you use, what your inclusion/exclusion criteria are, what databases you've used etc (like a systematic review) or can you just review the literature yourself as you wish and condense the topics into your own argument as needed?

Basically, I need to wait until I meet with my supervisor before I do anything else.
Angury
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C.EC.)
Sounds like you’re ahead of the game already! For methodology I would explain your criteria and why you used the case studies/data you’re using chat to your supervisor, they’ll be impressed!
Aha, thanks. As I’m doing my dissertation alongside full-time employment I try to use my spare time effectively (doesn’t always work though!). I’ve just heard a lot of people say their Masters dissertation year was the ‘worst/most stressful’ etc.
C.EC.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahaha, I’ve got that to come.. fingers crossed it’ll go to plan 😂
(Original post by Angury)
Aha, thanks. As I’m doing my dissertation alongside full-time employment I try to use my spare time effectively (doesn’t always work though!). I’ve just heard a lot of people say their Masters dissertation year was the ‘worst/most stressful’ etc.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I started the reading for mine the summer before I had to write it. Didn't take any more than a week all in to write it up.
RandomTennisfan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve got to have my proposal written up this summer and honestly it’s just trying to think of a good topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads