Angel-234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am going to year 11 in September and when I revise for history I can't seem to remember any of the information and I only got a 4 in my y10 mocks.

I don't know how to properly revise for it.
Any advice please

The topics I am doing are :

-GERMANY 1890-1945
-ELIZABETHAN ENGLAND (we still haven't studied this at school)
-HEALTH AND THE PEOPLE c.1000 the present day
-CONFLICT AND TENSION 1945-1972

AQA
Last edited by Angel-234; 1 year ago
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Flashcards - make them using quizlet, and maybe I'd recommend making them with one of your friends in the class as it makes it less boring and more active.
Past papers - 100% do this method, and always try and get your teacher to mark them as thats what your teacher is there for& they will be useful and give tips on what you can improve on for next time. In year 13 for History, I ended up doing 3 essays a week so by the time it came to the exams I already had done all the essays which could've been done, so it's really useful.
Mindmaps - not really useful for me, but I know friends which would make mindmaps and them rewrite them off on memory
Timelines - can always put a small number of dates from a certain topic so if you struggle to remember a load of dates, you have a small amount which you can rely on
lxila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey
As much as information is important in History, knowing exam technique is what helps you gain more marks.
You could know everything but if you don't know how to structure your answers properly, you won't get a good grade.
I would practise answering questions and looking into how to answer each type of question.
Tell me which questions in particular you struggle with and I'll explain the technique to you.
What topics are you doing?
I learnt the dates by associating the numbers with the amount of letters in the event
e.g. first Fort Laramie Treaty was 1851 then the second one was 1868. There's 17 letters in 'Fort Laramie Treaty' and there's 17 years between them
Stuff like that, although it's very strange, I would stick to Seneca. It's very good at helping you remember the information.
I would pay for premium if I were you, because the extra stuff is so much help

Just give me more information and I can help you
Angel-234
Rep:
?
(Original post by jbrdodd)
Flashcards - make them using quizlet, and maybe I'd recommend making them with one of your friends in the class as it makes it less boring and more active.
Past papers - 100% do this method, and always try and get your teacher to mark them as thats what your teacher is there for& they will be useful and give tips on what you can improve on for next time. In year 13 for History, I ended up doing 3 essays a week so by the time it came to the exams I already had done all the essays which could've been done, so it's really useful.
Mindmaps - not really useful for me, but I know friends which would make mindmaps and them rewrite them off on memory
Timelines - can always put a small number of dates from a certain topic so if you struggle to remember a load of dates, you have a small amount which you can rely on
Thanks!! How did you find A level history?
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Angel-234)
Thanks!! How did you find A level history?
I would say it's more difficult than GCSE, as theres a lot more content you need to remember& you have to develop a completely different essay structure as you're starting to develop concepts into your work but once you get used to it, it gets fairly easy. Are you thinking on doing it for A Level?
Angel-234
Rep:
?
(Original post by jbrdodd)
I would say it's more difficult than GCSE, as theres a lot more content you need to remember& you have to develop a completely different essay structure as you're starting to develop concepts into your work but once you get used to it, it gets fairly easy. Are you thinking on doing it for A Level?
No ,not really
fathomsss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t know what exam board your doing but I’m doing edexcel, so I got the exam board text book for each topic and just highlighted the important stuff (key dates, important figures, laws etc). Did this for each page and then wrote what I remembered on a blank sheet of paper. I did this, going through the booklet, twice before each exam, and this was my only method or revision. I only started about a week before exams and got an 8 in my mocks. This is also what I did in my GCSEs but I don’t know what I got for real.
Angel-234
Rep:
?
(Original post by fathomsss)
I don’t know what exam board your doing but I’m doing edexcel, so I got the exam board text book for each topic and just highlighted the important stuff (key dates, important figures, laws etc). Did this for each page and then wrote what I remembered on a blank sheet of paper. I did this, going through the booklet, twice before each exam, and this was my only method or revision. I only started about a week before exams and got an 8 in my mocks. This is also what I did in my GCSEs but I don’t know what I got for real.
I do AQA. Congrats for getting an 8 in your mocks
username3893816
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would personally recommend seneca for revision, goes through the main points of history that you need. Although, mix it with other forms of revision otherwise you'll start learning how to answer the seneca questions and not the topic itself! flashcards are good for dates and names, timelines for dates and info, mindmaps to test your knowledge. (did my mocks in may and got a 7 in it, hoping to get a 9 in the end)
Angel-234
Rep:
?
(Original post by HannahTheCarrot)
I would personally recommend seneca for revision, goes through the main points of history that you need. Although, mix it with other forms of revision otherwise you'll start learning how to answer the seneca questions and not the topic itself! flashcards are good for dates and names, timelines for dates and info, mindmaps to test your knowledge. (did my mocks in may and got a 7 in it, hoping to get a 9 in the end)
Thanks , I will try Seneca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (24)
22.02%
Unhappy (34)
31.19%
Conflicted (51)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise