d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m applying to do maths at Uni! Studying biology, chemistry and maths( all AAA predictions) and self teaching further maths.
Any other maths applicants?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Application details ice-breaker questions.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You can find other threads for applicants to your universities in this big list here.
LJS25
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I’m planning to apply maths too. I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry Where are you thinking to apply?
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by LJS25)
Hi! I’m planning to apply maths too. I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry Where are you thinking to apply?
Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and maybe somewhere like Aston as a back up
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
YEEEEEEEEEEES welcome, fellow legends :yy:
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Your Local Cat)
YEEEEEEEEEEES welcome, fellow legends :yy:
Haha Hi! I’m guessing you’re also applying to maths too, what unis are you interested in?!
Your Local Cat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Haha Hi! I’m guessing you’re also applying to maths too, what unis are you interested in?!
Imperial or Warwick but do not know which one. I hear Warwick is better but I prefer Imperial's location. Bristol as a backup option. I would apply to York but it's too far. I will apply to Queens' College, Cambridge too but I think my personal statement would be too weak for an interview.
STEM.lover
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! I’ve only just seen this thread.

I’m going to be applying for maths and physics so I half apply to this thread lol. I’m applying to Cambridge, Durham, Lancaster, Warwick and maybe Bath.

Imperial or Warwick but do not know which one. I hear Warwick is better but I prefer Imperial's location. Bristol as a backup option. I would apply to York but it's too far. I will apply to Queens' College, Cambridge too but I think my personal statement would be too weak for an interview.
I was thinking of applying to Queens’ college as well!
benjiboy46
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve been to open days at Cambridge and they said they don’t take much notice on Personal Statement for Maths because it’s basically the same 4000 characters for everyone. They interview 90% of all UK applicants
Rohan77642
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For people applying to Oxford/Imperial/Warwick, can someone start the MAT prep thread similar to previous years?
There is no thread up till now, and the exam is 2 months away.
Myboy66
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I would like to have some opinion about studying Maths course in LSE and KCL. Thanks.
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Myboy66)
Hi, I would like to have some opinion about studying Maths course in LSE and KCL. Thanks.
The LSE maths course is not a standard maths course.

It is much more an applied maths course, teaching you areas of maths that are useful for the social sciences like economics/business, etc.

So essentially the question you should ask yourself before applying to LSE is whether you want to do maths for the sake of it? Or do you want to study maths that is useful to a specific social science like economics?
Myboy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rohan77642)
The LSE maths course is not a standard maths course.

It is much more an applied maths course, teaching you areas of maths that are useful for the social sciences like economics/business, etc.

So essentially the question you should ask yourself before applying to LSE is whether you want to do maths for the sake of it? Or do you want to study maths that is useful to a specific social science like economics?
Oh OK. Thanks for the advice.
tabsbower54
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For people applying to Oxford/Imperial/Warwick, can someone start the MAT prep thread similar to previous years?
There is no thread up till now, and the exam is 2 months away.
Do you know the date of the exam? I’m really confused because I thought it was in October but when I googled it it said September 1st?
tabsbower54
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tabsbower54)
Do you know the date of the exam? I’m really confused because I thought it was in October but when I googled it it said September 1st?
Sorry looked up the wrong thing the exam date is October 30th!
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tabsbower54)
Sorry looked up the wrong thing the exam date is October 30th!
yes. https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-her...dmissions-test
Myboy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is it compulsory for imperial maths applicant to take MAT? If one has taken STEP can he not take MAT?
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m thinking of applying to Warwick, it says they lower the entry grades if you take STEP, but they also consider MAT, so which one would be preferred?
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Myboy66)
Is it compulsory for imperial maths applicant to take MAT? If one has taken STEP can he not take MAT?
You should take the MAT.

That is what they use primarily to give out offers. In very exceptional circumstances will they accept a candidate who has not done the MAT
Myboy66
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You should take the MAT.

That is what they use primarily to give out offers. In very exceptional circumstances will they accept a candidate who has not done the MAT
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?