The Student Room Group

2020 Maths Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laura10203
Hi, I'm really sorry, I'm not applying for pure maths but I think this is the best place to ask this. What is the difference between maths and further maths? I live in Scotland where we just have maths and I often see universities talking about. Again sorry, I'm not applying to maths although I have applied for mathematical physics if that counts, but I really want to know this.

Further Maths is basically just more maths! It's an extension of straight maths and is probably slightly harder (I think?)
Reply 41
Hi Laura just to say yes most schools in Scotland only offer AH maths( pure) however there are 2 other advanced higher maths subjects mechanics of maths( applied) and Statistcs( even rarer for schools to offer that I think). Hope that helps.
Reply 42
Hi everyone! :smile:

What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge (Clare), Cardiff, Edinburgh, Imperial, Lincoln
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: 777765
GCSE grades: 666666555 (equivalent to A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA)
Extra curriculars: Cycling, Red Cross Peace Corps

Any other international applicants?
Maths and further maths are two 'different' a level qualifications. Further Maths is an extension of the mathematics learnt in Maths as well as covering other topics that aren't in Maths and are perceived as being more difficult.
Original post by RoryAEB
Hi everyone! :smile:

What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge (Clare), Cardiff, Edinburgh, Imperial, Lincoln
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: 777765
GCSE grades: 666666555 (equivalent to A*A*A*A*A*A*AAA)
Extra curriculars: Cycling, Red Cross Peace Corps

Any other international applicants?

Yup! International/EU applicant here. I'm applying to: Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick and Birmingham :smile:
International student here too! Taking a gap year right now, really hoping to get into Cambridge

Universities I am applying to: Cambridge (Magdalene), Edinburgh, Warwick, Imperial (for Mathematics and Computer Science), UCL
A-level achieved grades: A* A* A* in Maths, Further Maths and Physics
IGCSE Grades: 6A*s 4As
STEP 2019 Grades: S, 1, S
ECAs: not much :c im a big nerd. I play a little piano I guess
Original post by jiaminglimjm
International student here too! Taking a gap year right now, really hoping to get into Cambridge

Universities I am applying to: Cambridge (Magdalene), Edinburgh, Warwick, Imperial (for Mathematics and Computer Science), UCL
A-level achieved grades: A* A* A* in Maths, Further Maths and Physics
IGCSE Grades: 6A*s 4As
STEP 2019 Grades: S, 1, S
ECAs: not much :c im a big nerd. I play a little piano I guess

I play the piano too.
I am very worried about my MAT tho
Original post by agentofchaos
My schooI has registered me for the MAT few weeks ago, however only University of Oxford was entered. (CAAT web page about MAT : w . admissionstetsing.org/ for test takers / mat / how to register/)

The lmperial mathematics deparmtent web page states that aIl candidates who appIy prior to 15 October are required to sit MAT and conditionaI offers to post-15 appIicants who were unable to take MAT wilI incIude a STEP requimerent. In my case, l have successfuIly registered for the MAT before the deadIine, but lmperial coIIege Iondon was not incIuded as universities that the MAT is for.

So will CAAT be abIe to provide my MAT result to multipIe universities that I would appIy to with my unique UCAS number (Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham) regardIess or am l mandated to take the STEP? also HOW will Warwick and Durham know my MAT result? were the uni names supposed to be entered when registering MAT????

I'm not too sure about this but a similar thing happened to me last year. I registered for MAT but only for Imperial, and not Warwick... But Warwick somehow magically got my scores (I assume?) cuz they reduced my offer after I sat for the MAT.
Original post by agentofchaos
My schooI has registered me for the MAT few weeks ago, however only University of Oxford was entered. (CAAT web page about MAT : w . admissionstetsing.org/ for test takers / mat / how to register/)

The lmperial mathematics deparmtent web page states that aIl candidates who appIy prior to 15 October are required to sit MAT and conditionaI offers to post-15 appIicants who were unable to take MAT wilI incIude a STEP requimerent. In my case, l have successfuIly registered for the MAT before the deadIine, but lmperial coIIege Iondon was not incIuded as universities that the MAT is for.

So will CAAT be abIe to provide my MAT result to multipIe universities that I would appIy to with my unique UCAS number (Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham) regardIess or am l mandated to take the STEP? also HOW will Warwick and Durham know my MAT result? were the uni names supposed to be entered when registering MAT????

Contact CAAT and inform them ASAP
Reply 49
3dwkb9.jpg
Hello, for Q4)ii on the 2010 paper, how come on the mark scheme they have the graph sketch as going through 1? I know sin0/0 would be undefined and is not in the domain, but why would they continue the graph to 1?
It is the limit of the function as it approaches x=0. The previous part of the question makes you show that as x approaches 0, the value of the function approaches 1 (squeeze theorem)
Technically it IS undefined at that point, but its limit exists and it is 1
Original post by PADE123
Technically it IS undefined at that point, but its limit exists and it is 1

That made sense thank you, I meant to send this to the MAT prep thread.
Reply 54
Hi there! EU student here!
I'm applying for MATHS, too. Thinking of Stirling, East Anglia, Coventry, Portsmouth, Reading, Essex and maybe York.
Any suggestions? I could definitely use your help!

I also have a question: Mathematics in East Anglia Uni isn't accredited by IMA. Do you consider this a reason not to apply to this uni? I really love its modules but not being accredited really worries me.

Thank you!
Original post by Nidri
Hi there! EU student here!
I'm applying for MATHS, too. Thinking of Stirling, East Anglia, Coventry, Portsmouth, Reading, Essex and maybe York.
Any suggestions? I could definitely use your help!

I also have a question: Mathematics in East Anglia Uni isn't accredited by IMA. Do you consider this a reason not to apply to this uni? I really love its modules but not being accredited really worries me.

Thank you!

Check out this advice page so you can decide whether it would be important or not for your future careers to have an accredited degree. https://university.which.co.uk/advice/choosing-a-course/accredited-courses
Original post by d0nkey_dude
I’m applying to do maths at Uni! Studying biology, chemistry and maths( all AAA predictions) and self teaching further maths.
Any other maths applicants?

Hey I saw you were self teaching yourself FM.
Which exam board are you doing?
Maths at Alevel is similar to Advanced higher maths in Scotland, whereas further maths is just more maths (and at a higher level.) There is no equivalent in Scotland
Any offers to fellow mathematicians?
Me!!! Warwick and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is unconditional (cuz i alr have my results) and Warwick is basically unconditional just asking for some english language cert

Quick Reply

Latest