The Student Room Group

The Oxbridge trade-off

I'm a first year at Oxford, and it's pretty good.

But it seems to me, that by coming to Oxford or Cambridge, you do miss out on typical student life.

I've spent a lot of time at other universities, and the social life here isn't the same.

People do work here. Now, yes, I realise I should be doing work. I do enough work, and I enjoy it. I hand in essays, prepare for classes, go to lectures. But this still leaves me with extra time. Time, that by the rights, should be spent drinking.

Going to a cafe for tea should be a part of student life- but only as an occasional change from the pub.

No-one here understands the idea of afternoon drinking. No-one understands the concept of Pub. Pub is a friendly place, where you sit with your friends in the afternoon and relax. Somehow, conversation flows easier - even if you aren't drinking. You end up talking about philosophy, the relative merits of different flavours of crisps. You make friends with the people behind the bar. The hours slip by, and you enjoy it all the more, because you know that there is something else you really *should* be doing.

I'm not asking for this every day. But an afternoon in the pub, once a week? Once a fortnight even.

I know people drink here - I do - but its all about clubs and bars. Getting so drunk its hard to remember your name two or three evenings a week isn't all that much fun. I find it a tad boring. All the same. Did that when I was younger.

The lack of Pub is the greatest problem. I want to start an afternoon drinking society. But I fear a lack of interest.

But also, where is the hedonism? Basically, where are the sex, drugs and rock'n'roll?

Ok, by sex - yes there is sex. But not that much... In my year, there is one couple. You'd have thought, put 70 hormonal 18/19 year olds together, and there is bound to be gossip, who fancies who, etc. But no.

And Indie does not count as rock'n'roll. I want ROCK.

I don't regret having come to Oxford. The chance to study with tutors who are there, at the forefront of their field is amazing.

But you know what? There aren't even that many clever people here. By clever, I don't mean anything to do with A level scores or anything like that. I mean, a quick mind, people with a genuine spark, who can discuss things, who can see conventional ideas from other perspectives, who learn because they want to discover something, not because they want to do well in exams.

Scroll to see replies

fayzd

But it seems to me, that by coming to Oxford or Cambridge, you do miss out on typical student life.

I've spent a lot of time at other universities, and the social life here isn't the same.

People do work here. Now, yes, I realise I should be doing work. I do enough work, and I enjoy it. I hand in essays, prepare for classes, go to lectures. But this still leaves me with extra time. Time, that by the rights, should be spent drinking.

Going to a cafe for tea should be a part of student life- but only as an occasional change from the pub.

No-one here understands the idea of afternoon drinking. No-one understands the concept of Pub. Pub is a friendly place, where you sit with your friends in the afternoon and relax. Somehow, conversation flows easier - even if you aren't drinking. You end up talking about philosophy, the relative merits of different flavours of crisps. You make friends with the people behind the bar. The hours slip by, and you enjoy it all the more, because you know that there is something else you really *should* be doing.

I'm not asking for this every day. But an afternoon in the pub, once a week? Once a fortnight even.

I know people drink here - I do - but its all about clubs and bars. Getting so drunk its hard to remember your name two or three evenings a week isn't all that much fun. I find it a tad boring. All the same. Did that when I was younger.

The lack of Pub is the greatest problem. I want to start an afternoon drinking society. But I fear a lack of interest.

But also, where is the hedonism? Basically, where are the sex, drugs and rock'n'roll?

Ok, by sex - yes there is sex. But not that much... In my year, there is one couple. You'd have thought, put 70 hormonal 18/19 year olds together, and there is bound to be gossip, who fancies who, etc. But no.

I don't regret having come to Oxford. The chance to study with tutors who are there, at the forefront of their field is amazing.

But you know what? There aren't even that many clever people here. By clever, I don't mean anything to do with A level scores or anything like that. I mean, a quick mind, people with a genuine spark, who can discuss things, who can see conventional ideas from other perspectives, who learn because they want to discover something, not because they want to do well in exams.

no offence mate, but i've come across your sort before. Almost as soon as you mentioned 'ROCK' there is the realisation that you are probably one of those people that hates pop, and pop culture, and makes yourself an outsider by refusing to associate with confromists.
I'm betting there is a damned sight more gossip, but not about people that you know/none of which is gracing your ears.

Most people that give these style rants/slamming reviews of their college are typically not very involved in the college life.

That's my (experienced) take on it anyway
Reply 2
foolfarian
no offence mate, but i've come across your sort before. Almost as soon as you mentioned 'ROCK' there is the realisation that you are probably one of those people that hates pop, and pop culture, and makes yourself an outsider by refusing to associate with confromists.
I'm betting there is a damned sight more gossip, but not about people that you know/none of which is gracing your ears.

Most people that give these style rants/slamming reviews of their college are typically not very involved in the college life.

That's my (experienced) take on it anyway

I don't hate pop. I love dancing to cheesy pop in nightclubs - It's great fun. I listen to RnB. I also like going to rock nights and festivals. Limiting yourself to one type of music , and only being friends with people who listen to it is just another kind of snobbery. I'm not an outsider - i believe you can make friends with anyone. I just like drinking in the afternoons with my friends.

Not a rant. Just a realisation that I have come to. I like it here- but its not perfect.
ah the humble pub sessions...so brilliant! i am not an arts kinda guy but i love to talk about those things! what college are you at fayzd? im applying this year to jesus
Reply 4
the thing about drinking... I completely agree! I'm in Year 12.. and I hate people talking about where to go TO GET DRUNK!!! I drink (quite usually) but... that's the thing in a pub... with mates and talk and stuff... and I also drink in discos but... i never get drunk... I see it as... reallly childish, dont you?
Reply 5
fayzd

Not to sound like a self-help book but don't let fear hold you back! I know I'd be interested in a weekly afternoon pub session, particularly if it involves getting out of the college bubble and meeting people elsewhere.

We have the Bogsheet for that- a scurrilous gossip rag that goes on the toilet walls :biggrin: As for the sex.. it's probably because loads of people seem to be in relationships here (or is it just at my college it seems that way?) and the single people are reluctant to shag the pants off of someone they'll be discussing the merits of Browning with in a tute the next morning! I personally don't fancy anyone at college :frown:

Try RockSoc?
Getting drunk all the time is kinda childish but it is quite gd fun to get slaughtered every now and again. i tell you one thing, if there was a society like that at watever uni i go to...im in!!!
Reply 7
fayzd

You are at Mansfield, correct? If so, you should consider that the fact that it's the smallest undergrad college may be partly to do with the relative lack of social activity. There just won't be that critical mass of people you need to organise things like going to the pub, going clubbing etc. Furthermore, I think the really small colleges can put people off "hedonism", for two reasons: one, it can be annoying being the subject of rumours and gosisp; and two, say you have a one night stand with someone and then decide it was a really bad idea, you absolutely can't avoid seeing them repeatedly in the ensuing days.

The solution is simple: Get out of college and make friends.
Reply 8
How hard have you been looking for ROCK, as you describe it? There's plenty going on. You shouldn't expect it to be forced upon you at every turn; Oxford is a normal city like any other, so it's not as if all the gigs are going to be plugged in college. Have a look at listings for the Zodiac and Wheatsheaf. I assume you're going to the DEP gig; if not, your point was just silly.
Reply 9
H&E
You are at Mansfield, correct? If so, you should consider that the fact that it's the smallest undergrad college may be partly to do with the relative lack of social activity. There just won't be that critical mass of people you need to organise things like going to the pub, going clubbing etc. Furthermore, I think the really small colleges can put people off "hedonism", for two reasons: one, it can be annoying being the subject of rumours and gosisp; and two, say you have a one night stand with someone and then decide it was a really bad idea, you absolutely can't avoid seeing them repeatedly in the ensuing days.

The solution is simple: Get out of college and make friends.

Well, yes, I do have quite a lot of friends outside college. But the people there are the same. Lovely people. But not afternoon drinkers.

Don't get me wrong - it's not like there is no social life. I'm going out about 5 nights a week. I can't afford much more!

And the point about rock, yes, there is rock. But it is mostly indie-rock. And i wasn't complaining so much about the lack of rock, but the lack of people who live a rock lifestyle...

I'm not complaining about the people, or lack of things to do. I'm commenting on the ethos, and the lifestyle here.
Reply 10
On the lack of people who live a rock lifestyle, I can only say you're looking in the wrong places. They're everywhere...
We go to the pub loads here :confused: Cambridge is mostly pubs :biggrin:
Fair enough, everyone wants to get rat-assed every now and then, but afternoon drinking is what makes life worth living! Perhaps its because Oxbridge students might have been "outsiders" at school (i.e. not many "cool" friends (n.b. inverted commas at cool)) and when they find themselves with loads of other people like themselves, they compensate for their missed youth. Perhaps. Academically advanced people are often the socially lacking ones, in my experience.
or it could be because the scientists have labs, the boaties are out on the isis, the arts students have work to do and everyone else is recovering from their morning hangover?
Reply 14
granddad_bob
the arts students have work to do

Sorry, i think i am living in an alternative universe to you.
Reply 15
fayzd
Sorry, i think i am living in an alternative universe to you.

don't even go there. i just had a full morning of lectures followed by a 3 hr supervision and I'm heading off to the library to try to get through at least one of the 10 books and 8 articles that I need to have read for an essay that's due in on monday. just because we have fewer classes doesn't mean we have less work :mad:

EDIT: happy now? :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Reply 16
naelse
just because we have less classes doesn't mean we have less work :mad:

I thought Classicists were supposed to be grammatical pedants.
Werther

No, classicists are the class enemy. First ones to be against the wall with a gun to their heads when the revolution comes.

MB
Reply 18
Werther

give me a break. i had just had a lecture entirely on derivational morphology versus inflectional morphology (in other words, 'prefixes and suffixes'). I can't speak english any more. my brain is mush.
Reply 19
naelse
I can't speak english any more.
That is the effect Greek Prose Comp has on me... I actually end up speaking 'greekenglish' - he, having been stopped, one the one hand was the..... :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending