Deferred studies. University refusing to confirm registration with Student Finance Watch

Kvtm12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I 'deferred' one of my modules end of last year just with the intention of restarting the course again at the start of this year. As I 'deferred' my modules and not 'interrupted my studies' my University has decided to not confirm my registration or the deferral of my modules with Student finance. The terminologies have caused a massive confusion and I was not aware of the financial implications.

They are saying its not a suspension of studies so they can't confirm anything. They have refused to share this information with SF as my circumstances have not changed. I have been in touch with SF and they are telling me deferral or interruption of studies does not have an impact on my payments and I am still entitled to them as I am still in the same academic year. The University is saying the situation will not change and the only option is to make a formal complaint. Is there any way around this? I am completing my assignments but they are not willing to confirm my registration with Student finance which I find absurd. My payments have stopped and the university did not confirm my registration at the start of the academic year with SF last year even before this supposed 'deferral'. I have not received any payments since. Please help!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kvtm12)
I 'deferred' one of my modules end of last year just with the intention of restarting the course again at the start of this year. As I 'deferred' my modules and not 'interrupted my studies' my University has decided to not confirm my registration or the deferral of my modules with Student finance. The terminologies have caused a massive confusion and I was not aware of the financial implications.

They are saying its not a suspension of studies so they can't confirm anything. They have refused to share this information with SF as my circumstances have not changed. I have been in touch with SF and they are telling me deferral or interruption of studies does not have an impact on my payments and I am still entitled to them as I am still in the same academic year. The University is saying the situation will not change and the only option is to make a formal complaint. Is there any way around this? I am completing my assignments but they are not willing to confirm my registration with Student finance which I find absurd. My payments have stopped and the university did not confirm my registration at the start of the academic year with SF last year even before this supposed 'deferral'. I have not received any payments since. Please help!!
I dont quite get what is happening?

Explain it as a sequence of events and bullet point it.

Why did you defer and from which year to which year?

You seem to want confirmation that the uni let you do this? Wouldnt your department, tutor or registry be able to do this as presumably they have sanctioned the deferral, but I cant see why it makes any difference, unless it goes into a new academic year?

What is it student fiance want?

Having read your explanation a number of times I am still finding it confusing and hard to track what has happened. You need to rewrite it and break it down into clear points. Maybe its me and other people can have a go but imo it is very confusing and I dont see how people can help without a clearer explanation.
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
Hi.. Maybe I havent made myself clear. So I had two assignments due end of last year. I was involved in an accident and was not in the right frame of mind to submit my assignment. So I contacted my university programme manager and decided to delay the submission of these assignments. They advised that the deferral had gone through and that I will be submitting those assignments this year instead. Now I wasn't aware of the difference between the two terminologies 'deferral' and 'interruption' as both have have different financial implications according to the University.

Student Finance are saying the complete opposite and that it does not make a difference whether you defer or interrupt you will still be able to receive payments. The assignments that were due to be completed were part of Year 1. I am now in Year 2 where a combination of module assignments and dissertation needs to be submitted plus the submissions from last year. The university feels that I do not meet the 'intensity requirements' as I will not finish my course within the prescribed time thus my student finance becomes automatically cancelled from thereon. I have been informed that the intensity requirement are minimum 25% which I am sure I meet. I am confused and stressed out because my university student finance team are not cooperating. The university says because its not suspension of studies and a mere deferral they cannot confirm my registration with Student Finance.

Student Finance just want a confirmation of my registration at this point. I'd really appreciate if anyone reading this can help me find a way around this or share any information useful to this case. Many thanks.

(Original post by 999tigger)
I dont quite get what is happening?

Explain it as a sequence of events and bullet point it.

Why did you defer and from which year to which year?

You seem to want confirmation that the uni let you do this? Wouldnt your department, tutor or registry be able to do this as presumably they have sanctioned the deferral, but I cant see why it makes any difference, unless it goes into a new academic year?

What is it student fiance want?

Having read your explanation a number of times I am still finding it confusing and hard to track what has happened. You need to rewrite it and break it down into clear points. Maybe its me and other people can have a go but imo it is very confusing and I dont see how people can help without a clearer explanation.
Last edited by Kvtm12; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi.. Maybe I havent made myself clear. So I had two assignments due end of last year. I was involved in an accident and was not in the right frame of mind to submit my assignment. So I contacted my university programme manager and decided to delay the submission of these assignments. They advised that the deferral had gone through and that I will be submitting those assignments this year instead. Now I wasn't aware of the difference between the two terminologies 'deferral' and 'interruption' as both have have different financial implications according to the University.

Student Finance are saying the complete opposite and that it does not make a difference whether you defer or interrupt you will still be able to receive payments. The assignments that were due to be completed were part of Year 1. I am now in Year 2 where a combination of module assignments and dissertation needs to be submitted plus the submissions from last year. The university feels that I do not meet the 'intensity requirements' as I will not finish my course within the prescribed time thus my student finance becomes automatically cancelled from thereon. I have been informed that the intensity requirement are minimum 25% which I am sure I meet. I am confused and stressed out because my university student finance team are not cooperating. The university says because its not suspension of studies and a mere deferral they cannot confirm my registration with Student Finance.
Must be me but still not 100% clear,

1. Year 1 accident. Are you full or part time? You make an extenuating circumstances claim and your department approves.
2. You are allowed to complete the module in year 2.
3. Then you jump which makes my head want to explode, but the upshot is SFE dont care what happened and are happy to pay as long as uni signs you off as having completed year 1?
4. Uni finance (not your department) for some reason dont think you are meeting some intensity criteria and will not give whatever information sfe wants.
5. What is the prescribed time?

Read it again and still feel it doesnt make any sense.
Have you seen the student advisor?
Seems to me this is a situation you need to be interviewed by so you can be asked questions as I am still not totally clear of what is going on.

I will have a guess, because you deferred x modules from year 1 [ how many credits?] then uni finance are unwilling to sign you off , which results in year 2s finance being cancelled, even though SFE are happy to pay?

Are you in year 2 or about to start year 2? Thus the point of this is about the transition from 1-2?

Speak to student finance and registry.
You will need to id the rule based on intensity that the unis student finance are going on about.
I cant see why they are relevant compared to the actual department which has sanctioned your modules and progression?
Obviously your narrative will be along the lines you satisfy progression rules because your department confirmed extenuating circumstances.

Get your department on your side and then make a complaint. Not sure why the uni finance team give a crap?
You seems to need to show why you are above 25% intensity even without this module. The department appears happy enough cant they have w word with uni finance?

I cant progress it any more than that.
Lodge the complaint and see what happens. be sure to run it past someone so the complaint and issues are clear.
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
I'm a part time post grad student. The university approved the deferral and allowed me to submit the assignments from last year to this year. They have a problem with me deferring instead of interrupting my studies. If I went ahead with interruption this wouldn't have any impact on my student finance. According to them deferral is not suspension of studies which is what they essentially have a problem with. The course was due to be completed in 27 months but now would take an extra year if I take the whole year for the dissertation. They are saying it does not meet intensity requirements. The submissions which were deferred were 30 credits in total which need to be submitted this year. Student finance are waiting for confirmation of registration. My programme leader confirmed this with the uni student finance team. However this team is unwilling to share this particular information with Student Finance?! Also the University failed to confirm my registration with Student finance even before this deferral which they are still unwilling to do. :confused:

(Original post by 999tigger)
Must be me but still not 100% clear,

1. Year 1 accident. Are you full or part time? You make an extenuating circumstances claim and your department approves.
2. You are allowed to complete the module in year 2.
3. Then you jump which makes my head want to explode, but the upshot is SFE dont care what happened and are happy to pay as long as uni signs you off as having completed year 1?
4. Uni finance (not your department) for some reason dont think you are meeting some intensity criteria and will not give whatever information sfe wants.
5. What is the prescribed time?

Read it again and still feel it doesnt make any sense.
Have you seen the student advisor?
Seems to me this is a situation you need to be interviewed by so you can be asked questions as I am still not totally clear of what is going on.

I will have a guess, because you deferred x modules from year 1 [ how many credits?] then uni finance are unwilling to sign you off , which results in year 2s finance being cancelled, even though SFE are happy to pay?

Are you in year 2 or about to start year 2? Thus the point of this is about the transition from 1-2?

Speak to student finance and registry.
You will need to id the rule based on intensity that the unis student finance are going on about.
I cant see why they are relevant compared to the actual department which has sanctioned your modules and progression?
Obviously your narrative will be along the lines you satisfy progression rules because your department confirmed extenuating circumstances.

Get your department on your side and then make a complaint. Not sure why the uni finance team give a crap?
You seems to need to show why you are above 25% intensity even without this module. The department appears happy enough cant they have w word with uni finance?

I cant progress it any more than that.
Lodge the complaint and see what happens. be sure to run it past someone so the complaint and issues are clear.
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

There is a guide how you get assessed and paid 2019/20 page 9 there is something about intensity requirements. If anyone can kindly explain its confusing
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
course intensity: your course has to have a 'course intensity' of 25% or more to be eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan. This means that for each year of your part-time course, you have to be completing at least 25% of what you would be if you were studying the same course on a full-time basis. The course can’t take any longer than four times the time it would take to complete the course if studied full time (up to a maximum of 16 years).
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
gjd800

Can you make sense of this one. I dont know if it was me that night but I do recall it doing my head in and having to drag certain information out as it was unclear.

From what I can see it seems uni finance believe by officially deferring 2 essays out of an unknown number of modules they have failed to meet the intensity requirements of a part time degree, in this case 25%.

That means they wont sign off, which in some way prevents the OP from progressing and getting year 2s money?

I feel the answer is common sense and could be resolved with a few phone calls, clarifications and just some rule problem solving. Not sure if the unis finance are correct but I dont have the full details,

I cant believe between then the uni finance/ registry/ dep[department and sfe cant sort out what happens when 2 essays werent handed in due to a genuine reason accpeted by the department. I cnat remember if the uni was identified or I found the rules or I still dont have all the pieces.

Reluctant to read it all over again as it too much effort to get it this far.

Thanks
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is super weird.

Are the university finance people saying that, in effect, you have opted to make the course longer (via deferral), thus meaning that those credits that you did complete are now below the 25% intensity threshold?

Who have you spoken to and what action did they take? Is it possible for you to get your academic advisor in on it?

If not, I'd honestly start making the complaint as soon as possible. If they insist on being obtuse, it might be the only way to get the ball rolling.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would ask them for a detailed breakdown of why exactly it does not meet their intensity requirements and see if I could dispute that. Seems the most direct way in.
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I would ask them for a detailed breakdown of why exactly it does not meet their intensity requirements and see if I could dispute that. Seems the most direct way in.
I have recently got in touch with University finance team and my faculty basically contacted them saying they were unsure if I was going to progress to Year 2 because I enquired about deferring modules in August/Sep last year so they took that as the final answer. I only received an official email in December approving the deferrals so I stopped studying between Oct-Dec. So my confirmation of registration should have been done in September.

Student Finance say alot of students say 'defer' but this is taken as suspension of studies as I didn't withdraw. My intention was to restart studies in the new year which was made clear in the email. Student Finance have no problem with releasing payments. Its the University who is being very difficult and stubborn. Also finishing the course one year later apparently would affect my student finance? Confused.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I have recently got on touch with University finance team and my faculty basically contacted them saying they were unsure if I was going to progress to Year 2 because I enquired about deferring modules in August/Sep last year so they took that as the final answer. I only received an official email this has been approved in December so I stopped studying between Oct-Dec. So my confirmation of registration should have been done in September.

Student Finance say alot of students says 'defer' but this is taken as suspension of studies as I didn't withdraw. My intention was to restart studies in the new year which was made clear in the email. Student Finance have no problem with releasing payments. Its the University who is being very difficult and stubborn.
Eugh sounds awful. I have had experience of inept admin at universities, but never this bad. I'd ask the university finance people for an official complete, detailed breakdown of why they will not confirm registration, and then find some reasons therein to dispute and force their hand. I'd also get all your deets down in writing, with evidence, and make the complaint, because this whole shebang is frankly ridiculous. Do you have departmental support if you complain?
Last edited by gjd800; 3 weeks ago
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
Eugh sounds awful. I have had experience of inept admin at universities, but never this bad. I'd ask the university finance people for an official complete, detailed breakdown of why they will not confirm registration, and then find some reasons therein to dispute and force their hand. I'd also get all your deets down in writing, with evidence, and make the complaint, because this whole shebang is frankly ridiculous. Do you have departmental support if you complain?
I'm so exhausted calling different departments everyday. I've contacted my faculty and explained the situation and they will contact the finance team at uni. They haven't got back to me ive even set up a consent to share so they can give them a call but I don't think they're ready to do that either. Agh! I've not received an update so I need to chase them again. Its really simple to understand but I have no idea why they are failing to understand a simple concept. I will be making a complaint if things don't improve. Student Finance say my finance remains unaffected and they just want comfirmation of reg. and period I wasn't studying. That's all.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm so exhausted calling different departments everyday. I've contacted my faculty and explained the situation and they will contact the finance team at uni. They haven't got back to me ive even set up a consent to share so they can give them a call but I don't think they're ready to do that either. Agh! I've not received an update so I need to chase them again. Its really simple to understand but I have no idea why they are failing to understand a simple concept. I will be making a complaint if things don't improve. Student Finance say my finance remains unaffected and they just want comfirmation of reg. and period I wasn't studying. That's all.
Seems like SFE are being really reasonable (as is right) and the finance lot at your institution have a weird bee in their bonnet. I know it is a slog nagging them, but do keep at it because you are entitled to this money and they are making life difficult for you for no apparent reason. Honestly, I'd throw in a complaint regardless, even if by some miracle you woke up tomorrow to it all fixed. They are taking the piss.
Last edited by gjd800; 3 weeks ago
Kvtm12
Rep:
?
Seems like SFE are being really reasonable (as is right) and the finance lot at your institution have a weird bee in their bonnet. I know it is a slog nagging them, but do keep at it because you are entitled to this money and they are making life difficult for you for no apparent reason. Honestly, I'd throw in a complaint regardless, even if by some miracle you woke up tomorrow to it all fixed. They are taking the piss.
Thanks. They are taking the piss for sure completely unsympathetic and uncooperative. The only thing they've said is to make a complaint but I've told them before things progress to that level I'd rather clarify things with the relevant departments to see if we can come to a solution. It's definetly affecting my studies and concentration with all this going around me. It's ridiculous. It doesn't help that SFE cannot put anything in writing or email for me of what our communication. They are also confused by the Universitys attitude
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks. They are taking the piss for sure completely unsympathetic and uncooperative. The only thing they've said is to make a complaint but I've told them before things progress to that level I'd rather clarify things with the relevant departments to see if we can come to a solution. It's definetly affecting my studies and concentration with all this going around me. It's ridiculous. It doesn't help that SFE cannot out anything in writing or email for me of what our communication. They are also confused by the Universitys attitude
I'm not surprised it is affecting you! It seems like someone in finance has misinterpreted some rule or other and then doubled down when challenged. they will never admit that, of course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.23%
Worried (264)
18.74%
Terrified (329)
23.35%
Meh (113)
8.02%
Confused (33)
2.34%