SKE 8 weeks (25 hours a week) can I speed this up? Watch

jonathanf-s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I've been offered a University place to do a PGCE in biology a condition of this is that I do an SKE. I wanted to wait as I had other interviews coming up. However the course is 8 weeks long and needs to be completed before I start. I Assume the other unis will want me to an SKE and by the time I have an offer from them there will be even less time to complete an SKE.

There is not 8 weeks before the course starts though so does that mean I can't do the course ?

How does an SKE work? can I study more than 25 hours a week to make sure I get it done in time?

Its an online course so do I just need to complete the modules in my own time or do I have to spend 8 weeks on it exactly?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sure you can go a couple of weeks ahead. Mine does not finish until two into my pgce and hoping to get it wrapped up before I start. I can access the last weeks course (TES) so I don't think there's anything stopping me.
jonathanf-s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What do you mean by a couple of weeks ahead. ? And thanks for responding ! Where you going to be doing yours ?
(Original post by Sceptical_John)
I'm sure you can go a couple of weeks ahead. Mine does not finish until two into my pgce and hoping to get it wrapped up before I start. I can access the last weeks course (TES) so I don't think there's anything stopping me.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jonathanf-s)
Hi I've been offered a University place to do a PGCE in biology a condition of this is that I do an SKE. I wanted to wait as I had other interviews coming up. However the course is 8 weeks long and needs to be completed before I start. I Assume the other unis will want me to an SKE and by the time I have an offer from them there will be even less time to complete an SKE.

There is not 8 weeks before the course starts though so does that mean I can't do the course ?

How does an SKE work? can I study more than 25 hours a week to make sure I get it done in time?

Its an online course so do I just need to complete the modules in my own time or do I have to spend 8 weeks on it exactly?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!
With most SKEs, you can go through the content more quickly and submit assignments before the 8 weeks are up. However, the provider may not guarantee to mark the assignments in time. You may also face delays due to waiting for your physical materials (e.g. textbook) to arrive.

If you complete before the 8 weeks are up, you may not get the bursary for the final weeks.

Personally, I found I didn't need to spend the full 25 hours a week on my SKE- and I think it would have been easy to complete it in a shorter time frame. I did the VidLearn SKE, and if you get a choice, this might be a good option to go for.

It might be worth contacting the other unis you're interviewing at to discuss whether they'd be likely to ask you to do an SKE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise