lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd set this up for all those of you considering applying to Manchester this year.

We can discuss stats, the application process requirements and also parts of the Manchester course. Remember Manchester is PBL/Integrated so they do a lot of small group teaching which is supplemented with lectures and early clinical experience. You have weekly PBL sessions, Anatomy (dissection), and communication sessions.

I've just finished my 2nd year of Medicine at Manchester (will be in my 3rd year by the time you all apply) so if any of you have any questions about the uni, the course structure or want and tips regarding your application, feel free to just ask!
Advertisement
Chloe3238
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hiya,
So with the PBL course, how many lectures do you get a week? Also any tips for the application and the non-academic form if you did that?
ryphilli
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for graduates with a science degree? (2:1 Bsc Biology)
On their website it only states A level requirements when you apply with your predicted grades.
I don't have Chemistry at A level but do have A*AA (Biology, Economics, Geography)

If anyone could get back to me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
You get on about 7 lectures a week on a typical week.
Yes I did the NAI and here's some tips for it: https://lifeofamedic.com/2018/10/27/...omment-page-1/
ArtmisKco
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is it true that they’ve increased 5 7-9 grades to 7 7-9 grades to get into Manchester uni for medicine?
Advertisement
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Is it true that you now need 7 instead of the 5 7-9 grades to do medicine at Manchester uni?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ArtmisKco)
Is it true that you now need 7 instead of the 5 7-9 grades to do medicine at Manchester uni?
According to their webiste:
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...course-profile
Advertisement
flowergirl15
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bellaarchibald)
got an interview !! 642 ukcat band 1, 8A*s, A, B
where???
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Bellaarchibald)
got an interview !! 642 ukcat band 1, 8A*s, A, B
do you have widening participation or anything like that???? Looking to apply to manchester with 645 but don't have widening participation or anything like that
Advertisement
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SyedHB)
INTERVIEW

UKCAT 640
GCSE 3A* 6As 1B
PREDICTED A*A*A

Good luck
do you have widening participation or anything like that???? Looking to apply to manchester with 645 but don't have widening participation or anything like that
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ok, thanks!! I got 645 band 1, 9a* 1a English lang. ive done lots of work experience and have extra circular. done an epq as well. 3a* predictions. do you think I have a chance for hollistic.
Advertisement
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by flowergirl15)
ok, thanks!! I got 645 band 1, 9a* 1a English lang. ive done lots of work experience and have extra circular. done an epq as well. 3a* predictions. do you think I have a chance for hollistic.
Your stats are excellent, but Manchester do not release exactly how they assess for the holisitic route. They do imply that extra A levels or an EPQ would be helpful, so I would have thought you have a good chance
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
aww ok thanks so much! i read somewhere on the forum someone got similar ucat and GCSEs and didn't through holistic so I know its a bit of a risk so wasn't sure. I don't have any sort of widening participation so can't go through those areas for uni either!

Looking to apply liverpool and cardiff as well. and hopefully leeds.
Advertisement
smscku
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ryphilli)
Does anyone know what the entry requirements are for graduates with a science degree? (2:1 Bsc Biology)
On their website it only states A level requirements when you apply with your predicted grades.
I don't have Chemistry at A level but do have A*AA (Biology, Economics, Geography)

If anyone could get back to me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Hey! I was in the same boat as you. You can email [email protected] with your situation including full qualifications and they should tell you if you meet the minimum entry requirements (it took them about a week to review what I sent). I am a US graduate with BS in Chemistry and I emphasized in my email the importance of knowing before applying if I meet the minimum requirements, and that I had exhausted all the information available online. For reference their website states:
"We welcome applications from graduates or those in their final year of study towards an undergraduate degree. You should have achieved or be predicted a minimum of an upper second (2:1) honours degree and should have achieved a minimum of BBB at A-level (32 IB) in your first sitting. Applicants with a relevant science degree are exempted from our subject specification at A-Level, but must still meet the BBB academic standard."
My degree was in chemistry but included modules in biology, biochemistry, and math, and I also submitted AP (eq. to A-levels) exams for other subjects. They told me I would be eligible for 5 year course. Hope this helps. Also, I would recommend reaching out to any schools you are uncertain about if your degree counts. I heard back from all 4 schools I inquired about, and 3 were able to confirm that I met the requirements, with 1 telling me they can't evaluate until I apply (kinda bs lol) which gives me a lot of peace of mind that my application won't be wasted.
smscku
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lifeofamedic)
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd set this up for all those of you considering applying to Manchester this year.

We can discuss stats, the application process requirements and also parts of the Manchester course. Remember Manchester is PBL/Integrated so they do a lot of small group teaching which is supplemented with lectures and early clinical experience. You have weekly PBL sessions, Anatomy (dissection), and communication sessions.

I've just finished my 2nd year of Medicine at Manchester (will be in my 3rd year by the time you all apply) so if any of you have any questions about the uni, the course structure or want and tips regarding your application, feel free to just ask!
Hi, I've seen your blog and a lot of it is very informative I was wondering if you think it is possible to have a part time job during years 1 and 2. I'm international so I will seriously need the income to avoid taking out as much in loans. I know most people say you can't have a job due to the workload, but most people aren't facing 50k/year in debt! I would like to work as many hours as possible, which is maxed at 20 hrs/week. But maybe 10-15 is more realistic. Thanks for any insight you can give on this. On another note- is it typical to find a summer job for more hours when school is off?
SyedHB
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by flowergirl15)
Yes, I was on a programme.
645 is a bit low for Manchester.
My friends for 2019 with similar scores (without flags) got rejected instantly (pre interview).

Doesn't matter I guess, I got rejected post interview.
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yeh i know its pretty low so was hoping to get in via holistic route
Advertisement
flowergirl15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
w

(Original post by Ahmad Sauyack)
literally none. I am going in my second yr at Manchester. Anyone with questions are free to pm me
what type of grades did people have that got through holistic route?
Ahmad Sauyack
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
[quote=flowergirl15;84662758]w
what type of grades did people have that got through holistic route?

tbh we do not really talk about grades with our friends at university but in my case i had very bad Ukcat score. I am an international student and my ukcat average was 620 but my A levels results were very good. I have 4 A* at A levels in Chem, Bio, Maths and Physics.
I know someone however who got 2As and 1 B at A levels but i dont know his UKcat score. I guess he should have a pretty good score and maybe things like his Personal statement got him in.
smscku
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do interviews take place continuously throughout Jan/Feb or are they scheduled in certain blocks?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads