pseudo123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Tigermom)
From the same source (sorry, I've tried posting the link, but it won't appear):

On top of these four schools, there are a further 15 who will accept applications provided that certain criteria are met, or may otherwise disadvantage resit applicants in the admissions process. Manchester is listed. These schools are:

1. Brighton and Sussex - Student retaking their AS level year can apply if their predicted A-level grades are AAA including Biology and Chemistry. If you are retaking your A2, they will only consider applications from applicants who have slipped a grade in one subject and obtained a grade B (i.e. achieved A levels AAB/A*AB/A*A*B but have a predicted grade A in the re-sat subject). Anyone below grades AAB after two years of study, or who is not predicted a grade A in your re-sit, would only be eligible to apply once receiving grades AAA including Biology and Chemistry after 3 years of study.
2. University of Bristol - A maximum of one resit is allowed in any one subject.
3. Hull York Medical School - Provided applicants did not achieve lower than BBB in their first sitting, resit results are accepted without discrimination. Any lower than this and evidence of extenuating circumstances will be required.
4. Keele University School of Medicine - If you are resitting your A levels, or have taken more than two years to complete them, you must wait until you have your final grades before applying to Keele, i.e. you will not be eligible to apply before the 2020 entry round. They will, however, consider a candidate who has already achieved the required grades but is taking additional subjects. For example, an applicant with achieved grades of AAA but with only one science would be considered if currently taking an additional science A level.
5. King’s College London - Resits are acceptable. However, non-resit applicants are considered as more competitive applications.
Lancaster University Medical School - Applications from applicants who have taken longer than two years to achieve the required grades at A Level are considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GCSE criteria and the non-academic entry requirements. In the absence of mitigating circumstances, students must have achieved at least ABB in their first attempt. All resit applicants must achieve the required grades after three years of study.
6. University of Liverpool - Resits are accepted but the offer may be conditional on higher A-level grades than the typical offer (e.g. minimum A*AA, rather than AAA). Applicants must have scored a minimum of ABB in their first sitting and must reflect on this in their personal statement. For help on this, why not use our Personal Statement Service!
7. University of Manchester – While Manchester do welcome applications from those re-sitting, applicants may only re-sit one of either Year 12 or Year 13. Where A-levels have been attempted in Year 13, applicants are expected to have obtained a minimum of grade B in each subject at the first sitting for the resit grades to be considered. Grades A*AA are required for resitting applicants, with an A* in one of the science subjects.
8. University of East Anglia - Any applicant resitting all or part of an A level is required to include their original grade on the UCAS application form. A level resits will only be considered if a minimum of ABB or AAC was achieved in the first sitting.
9. University of Plymouth, Peninsula Medical School - Applications from resit applicants are welcome providing a minimum of ABB has been achieved at the first attempt.
10. Queen’s University Belfast - Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice. In addition, they must have achieved A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt. The offer for repeat candidates is currently either A*AA or AAA at A-level plus A in a fourth AS level. Only two attempts at A-levels are allowed.
11. University of Leicester - For 2020 entry, in the absence of mitigating circumstances, applicants who attain AAB at their first A-level attempt can apply with a resit in one subject
12. University of Nottingham - Resits of no more than 2 A-levels will be considered under the following conditions: 1) A-levels have been completed in the last 12 months; 2) At least ABB was obtained in the first attempt; 2) One A is currently in Biology/Human Biology or Chemistry; 3) AAA is predicted and must be achieved after the resit.
13. Anglia Ruskin University - A Level resit grades at AAA will be accepted taken within two academic years prior to the time of application.
14. University of Sunderland - A Level resits are accepted under certain circumstances: Where an applicant has been awarded AAB, the applicant is only required to re-sit the B grade subject or Where an applicant has been awarded less than AAB, they are then required to re-sit all 3 A Levels in the same sitting in order to be considered.
15. University of Lancaster - A Level resits are considered if the applicant meets the GCSE criteria and the non-academic entry requirements. Students must have achieved at least ABB in their A-Levels at the first attempt and all resit applicants must achieve the required grades after three years of study.
thank you so much for this info! I'm pretty sure manchester accepts resits though because I had emailed them and they said that the offer would just be A*AA rather than AAA but they would still accept resits. Thank you for all of this though!
lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by smscku)
Hi, I've seen your blog and a lot of it is very informative I was wondering if you think it is possible to have a part time job during years 1 and 2. I'm international so I will seriously need the income to avoid taking out as much in loans. I know most people say you can't have a job due to the workload, but most people aren't facing 50k/year in debt! I would like to work as many hours as possible, which is maxed at 20 hrs/week. But maybe 10-15 is more realistic. Thanks for any insight you can give on this. On another note- is it typical to find a summer job for more hours when school is off?
It's definitely possible, I know so many people who had part-time jobs and I also did part-time tutoring in my first year. I've never heard anyone say that you can't have a job, it is 100% do-able. Manchester incorporates a lot of independent learning into your week so for a typical week your timetable will have huge gaps in so they're up to you to use and manage well
RosieOG
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What sort of grades to Manchester require if you're applying as a graduate (Biomedical science 1st), sat my UCAT today and got 688 Band 1, however my A levels aren't great so wondering how likely they are to drag me down?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by RosieOG)
What sort of grades to Manchester require if you're applying as a graduate (Biomedical science 1st), sat my UCAT today and got 688 Band 1, however my A levels aren't great so wondering how likely they are to drag me down?
Assuming this is for A106, Manchester say "Applicants with a 2:1 degree and A levels at BBB gained at the first attempt will be considered."
katelouisex
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi. This is a late response but how do you access the form for non-academic activities after you send your UCAS off? Do they send it to you separately or are you emailed it etc?
r_enkaiiii
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi can i ask 2820 for ukcat and sjt band 3 would be a competitive score to get in to manchester cos i wouldn’t want to waste a slot. thanks for the help!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by r_enkaiiii)
hi can i ask 2820 for ukcat and sjt band 3 would be a competitive score to get in to manchester cos i wouldn’t want to waste a slot. thanks for the help!
Manchester say they interview arounf the top 1/3 of scores via their UCAT route and 2820 falls into this category
Ahmad Sauyack
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by r_enkaiiii)
Depend on what your A levels results are. I got A bad ukcat score of 2480 i think but had 4 A*s at Alevels and i am now in my second yr at Manchester.
swiftab97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm a graduate looking to apply to the undergrad course at Manchester. Would a UCAT score of 667.5 be good enough to secure me an interview?
dh1995
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I've read a bit about students not being supported enough/not having enough direction at Manchester because of the PBL structure of the course, can any current students advise on this?
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by katelouisex)
Hi. This is a late response but how do you access the form for non-academic activities after you send your UCAS off? Do they send it to you separately or are you emailed it etc?
You just fill the form out here: https://www.onemedforms.manchester.a...KYyYAg6F7qgwzX

After the UCAS deadline applicants will be emailed the link to make sure they don't miss it, but you can fill it out prior anyway
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by dh1995)
I've read a bit about students not being supported enough/not having enough direction at Manchester because of the PBL structure of the course, can any current students advise on this?
Manchester isn't actually PBL. The course uses elements of PBL, but is actually an integrated structure.
Everyone appears to have the above misconception at Manchester, but it is certainly not true. The support is great, most of the teaching in pre-clinical years is done in small groups so you are given the time to raise concerns, clarify anything you don't understand etc.
In clinical years, the group sizes get even smaller (I'm a 3rd year at Manchester btw).

In terms of having direction, you have 7 lectures a week in your pre-clinical years so that provides a lot of guidance in terms of what to cover, depth to go into etc. You are also given a list of learning objectives so you know exactly what you should be learning each week as well as a list of resources and textbook references that they want you to get the information from. The PBL element at manchester is a lot more guided than you're probbaly imagining.
MechDoge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey guys just wondering how important is the non-academic information form? Are interview invites sent out based on UCAT or the non-academic form?
swiftab97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm a graduate looking to apply to the undergrad course at Manchester. Would a UCAT score of 667.5 be good enough to secure me an interview?
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
hi i’m an international student looking to apply to the undergrad medicine course. I recently got a 682.5 and a Band 2 in my UCAT. Is this a good enough score ?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by MechDoge)
Hey guys just wondering how important is the non-academic information form? Are interview invites sent out based on UCAT or the non-academic form?
If you are above the UCAT cut off, NAI is not looked at in selection but it is used via the holistic route
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by MechDoge)
If your UCAT score is in the top 1/3 nationally you'll be invited straight for interview, your NAI won't even be looked at.
However, if your UCAT score is below that your application will be routed down a holistic approach where your NAI, UCAT score, previous qualifications will be considered in conjunction to decide whether you should be invited for interview
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by swiftab97)
(Original post by desperateintl)
hi i’m an international student looking to apply to the undergrad medicine course. I recently got a 682.5 and a Band 2 in my UCAT. Is this a good enough score ?
The UCAT preliminary test statistics show that you'll fall in to the top 1/3 with a score of 667.5 and above, which would mean you'd be invited for interview.
Of course, the percentiles may change so it's worth re-checking them when the final percentiles are published at the end of testing (7th Oct)

Bands 1, 2 and 3 are all considered for the SJT. Band 4 isn't
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thank you so much! honestly, i’ve been slightly discouraged lately given my international status but this helped a lot.
mamamedic2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, my son has scored a 2610 UCAT which would have him (just about) on the 70th centile last years final results. What’s the chances of him making it this year? Is it the 70 or 67th percentile they use? He wants to apply to Manchester. Thanks 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (418)
67.42%
No (202)
32.58%

Watched Threads