Mom2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mamamedic2020)
Hi, my son has scored a 2610 UCAT which would have him (just about) on the 70th centile last years final results. What’s the chances of him making it this year? Is it the 70 or 67th percentile they use? He wants to apply to Manchester. Thanks 😊
I believe it's the 67th percentile as per an earlier response by an expert. My daughter is in the same boat and we calculated she would make it if the overall percentiles drop relative to the interim percentiles (which was the case last year). There is also the holistic route, discussed at length on the MEGATHREAD on medi applicatios.
mamamedic2020
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mom2)
I believe it's the 67th percentile as per an earlier response by an expert. My daughter is in the same boat and we calculated she would make it if the overall percentiles drop relative to the interim percentiles (which was the case last year). There is also the holistic route, discussed at length on the MEGATHREAD on medi applicatios.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve heard the final centile usually drops about 2%. He would have made the cut off last year and the interim stats were higher last year so fingers crossed he will be 68th centile or above 🤞🏻
Last edited by mamamedic2020; 4 months ago
anonfuturemedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Heyyy, I am applying for A106 medicine at Manchester this year (also applying A101 Warwick, A100 Leicester and A100 Sheffield) 😊

My stats:

Final year Physician Associate student at the university of Birmingham

BSc degree - 1st class biomedical science

A Levels - A* biology A chemistry B physics

GCSE - 3A* 4A 1B 1C

UCAT - 2820 (average 705)

Hoping for some interviews and offers 😭🙏🏼
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
Hi I’m hoping to apply to medicine this year and I’m looking at applying to Manchester. I like the university and city, however I’ve read a lot of reviews talking about the lack of support given by the university to the students and the satisfaction rates from students is quite low. I was just wandering what medics or students at Manchester think ?
lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi I’m hoping to apply to medicine this year and I’m looking at applying to Manchester. I like the university and city, however I’ve read a lot of reviews talking about the lack of support given by the university to the students and the satisfaction rates from students is quite low. I was just wandering what medics or students at Manchester think ?
I'm not sure where potential applicants get this idea from, because I think as a 3rd year Manchester student the support is really good. You have tutors for different parts of the programme that you can go to for different things, each student is also given an academic advisor and as well as that you have access to a dedicated "student pastoral support" team which is specifically for the medical school. They also run extra study skills sessions throughout teh year helping you find ways to learn and tackle different parts of the course.

When you start in 1st year, you're given around 4 peer mentors (from year 2) who look after you, you also get the same when you start 3rd year which is really helpful. Manchester is a pretty big medical school so the older students are a great source of help, being very big there's always extra lectures, revision, support sessions and even mock OSCEs being run by older students.

In 3rd year we have med students from St Andrews joining us and a lot of the students from there say that the support is so much better in Manchester and they can't believe how much support we have here, so I guess that speaks for itself
Last edited by lifeofamedic; 4 months ago
username4975878
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ah ok, thank you so much! How have you found Manchester as a university socially?
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
At the open day a student from Manchester showed us her time table and mentioned the week where they have no lectures/pbl sessions. Does this continue on to year 2 or is it just for year 1?
bloom12//
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i got all B's except 1 a star and 3 A's n i wanna apply for medicine will univerisities accept me bcz apparently u need 5 a or a star for some unis and for manchester u need 7 a star or a 's
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by medicapplicantt)
Ah ok, thank you so much! How have you found Manchester as a university socially?
There's so much to do. I think Manchester as a med school is pretty relaxed compared to some others. Yes, we have work to do but it's not so intense that you have time for nothing else. Here's a snippet of my first year timetable to show you how much free time we have on a weekly basis, of course some of that is for independent study but if you manage your time well you have tonnes of free time for events, social activities etc: https://lifeofamedic.com/2018/03/09/...st-year-medic/

The med school has a host of its own societies as we're big enough to be able to have events and things being run just for med students. Every Wednesday afternoon is also kept free (university-wide) so you can get involved in weekly sports activities
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
At the open day a student from Manchester showed us her time table and mentioned the week where they have no lectures/pbl sessions. Does this continue on to year 2 or is it just for year 1?
That's the "consolidation week", it's equivalent to the reading week you get in other courses. After every 3 weeks you get 1 week off-timetable for you to revise, catch up on work etc. You might have meeting with your tutor or half a day placement during the week, but you won't be opening any new cases or have any timetabled teaching so it's really useful to have that to keep on top of your work. And you have that in both year 1 and year 2
ambzzzz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have read on the Manchester website that the UCAT cut off for 2018/19 was 2600, I understand the actual deciles will be released on Monday (which will give a more accurate indication of where the cut off for 2019/20 will be, i.e higher or lower than last year) but using the preliminary deciles, do we think it will be higher or lower for this year?

I have a UCAT of 2620 (655 average) and I am unsure whether I should risk Manchester or not. I would be eligible for contextual flags but because I’m 21 I think that they no longer look at my educational background or postcode etc. which is a shame!
Last edited by ambzzzz; 4 months ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ambercairney)
I have read on the Manchester website that the UCAT cut off for 2018/19 was 2600, I understand the actual deciles will be released on Monday (which will give a more accurate indication of where the cut off for 2019/20 will be, i.e higher or lower than last year) but using the preliminary deciles, do we think it will be higher or lower for this year?

I have a UCAT of 2620 (655 average) and I am unsure whether I should risk Manchester or not. I would be eligible for contextual flags but because I’m 21 I think that they no longer look at my educational background or postcode etc. which is a shame!
Manchester state they will interview roughly the top 1/3 of UCAT scores, so check where you fall when the final deciles come out. You are just a bit below that at the minute but may well be OK based on final scores
achan3333
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am an international student from Hong Kong, doing A-levels in UK. My AS grades are 4A* and my UCAT score is 2670, but I do not have GCSEs. I can provide internal transcripts from my previous school, but I don't have a public exam qualification from Hong Kong as I left for UK before I had to sit it.
I believe I qualify as an international student as I will be paying overseas fees, but I'm not sure if Manchester will consider me if I don't have GCSE.... Does anyone know about this? Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by achan3333)
I am an international student from Hong Kong, doing A-levels in UK. My AS grades are 4A* and my UCAT score is 2670, but I do not have GCSEs. I can provide internal transcripts from my previous school, but I don't have a public exam qualification from Hong Kong as I left for UK before I had to sit it.
I believe I qualify as an international student as I will be paying overseas fees, but I'm not sure if Manchester will consider me if I don't have GCSE.... Does anyone know about this? Thanks
You'll probably need to email Manchester to explain the situation - it is individual after all.
srikanth.d
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi all, applied to Manchester, now fingers crossed.
swiftab97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
When can we expect the NAI form to be sent to us?
zoozooboo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm a bit confused on what to put. For hobbies and interests I'm confused why its needed and what types of things I should put. Also although I have worked in a team, I've never encountered any problems that requires teamwork. Also wouldn't the answer of why I want to study at Manchester be the same for everyone, e.g the course structure, open days etc I don't know how I'm meant to stand out.

Also people say just copy your personal statement as they don't read it, but I'm not sure...
10oba-abbad
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by swiftab97)
When can we expect the NAI form to be sent to us?
Don’t have to wait for them to send it to you. You can find it on their website.
swiftab97
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by 10oba-abbad)
Don’t have to wait for them to send it to you. You can find it on their website.
Ah brilliant thanks! Any idea as to when it is in for?
10oba-abbad
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by swiftab97)
Ah brilliant thanks! Any idea as to when it is in for?
No problem, I believe it’s the 7th of November.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (418)
67.42%
No (202)
32.58%

Watched Threads