lifeofamedic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by zoozooboo)
I'm a bit confused on what to put. For hobbies and interests I'm confused why its needed and what types of things I should put. Also although I have worked in a team, I've never encountered any problems that requires teamwork. Also wouldn't the answer of why I want to study at Manchester be the same for everyone, e.g the course structure, open days etc I don't know how I'm meant to stand out.

Also people say just copy your personal statement as they don't read it, but I'm not sure...
For hobbies and interests it's literally just what you enjoy and it's just there to show that you can relax and have stuff you do outside of studying.

For the Why Medicine at Manchester you have to talk a bit about your motivation for Medicine as well

Definitely do not copy your PS. they don't read your PS for a reason so they don't want a repeat of it on your form. The form has to be much more detailed, you can use the experiences you mentioned in your PS, but you'll need to expand on them and reflect more on them

Here's my complete advice for teh form: https://lifeofamedic.com/2018/10/27/...m-tips-advice/
MedApplicant02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey guys, on the NAI form I wanted to include my experience in a care home as well as the hospital.

Is this a good idea? They said that they’re more interested in the hands-on experience but I feel like I should include both.
Last edited by MedApplicant02; 3 months ago
SyedHB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Guys, the top 1/3 get an automatic interview invite, so how strongly will UoM look at these candidates’ NAI?
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hi, can someone explain how this NAI form process works? am i meant to write this like a personal statement (without directly copying my essay)? also, they’re reading my personal statement right?
MedApplicant02
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by desperateintl)
hi, can someone explain how this NAI form process works? am i meant to write this like a personal statement (without directly copying my essay)? also, they’re reading my personal statement right?
They said they’ll read personal statements in some cases. And ye just answer the sections using the information they give you on the left hand side of the text box.

Also like lifeofamedic said don’t copy your personal statement. I’m guessing you can use a sentence or two but I wouldn’t copy whole paragraphs.
desperateintl
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Muez)
They said they’ll read personal statements in some cases. And ye just answer the sections using the information they give you on the left hand side of the text box.

Also like lifeofamedic said don’t copy your personal statement. I’m guessing you can use a sentence or two but I wouldn’t copy whole paragraphs.
in some cases?? meaning they don’t read your personal statement most of the time?
MedApplicant02
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by desperateintl)
in some cases?? meaning they don’t read your personal statement most of the time?
Check the last question under the NAI section:

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/stu...ne/apply/faqs/

It says, “We may read a small number of personal statements in certain circumstances.”

So yes I think most of the time it’s just the NAI form.
Tsruser123456
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello, I’ve applied to Manchester and I’m a bit confused about the non-academic information form because I’m not sure what examples to use for the experience in a caring role section. On the website it says that they advise against using work experience, so is that a big no? Thank you.
Tigermom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Muez)
Hey guys, on the NAI form I wanted to include my experience in a care home as well as the hospital.

Is this a good idea? They said that they’re more interested in the hands-on experience but I feel like I should include both.
Absolutely include it! My son also volunteered in a care home (he's in his first year at Manchester). It's important to write about what you did, no matter how small on the surface, and tell them what you got out of it. Did you provide an ear for residents? Fetch a drink? Did you demonstrate patience, empathy? Write about that.
Tigermom
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Georginamackg)
Hello, I’ve applied to Manchester and I’m a bit confused about the non-academic information form because I’m not sure what examples to use for the experience in a caring role section. On the website it says that they advise against using work experience, so is that a big no? Thank you
Did you not do any volunteering? Also, what was your work experience? If it was in a caring role, I'd still use it. You don't have to call it work experience. But work experience is only about a week long, isn't it?
Tsruser123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tigermom)
Did you not do any volunteering? Also, what was your work experience? If it was in a caring role, I'd still use it. You don't have to call it work experience. But work experience is only about a week long, isn't it?
Yeah no I volunteer at a hospice each week, I worked at M&S for a while and volunteered helping out at a boys scouts group I just don’t know what to put down 😬😂 my work experience placement was at a hospital but it was more observational and they say on the website that they want to hear of your more active roles sooo 🤷🏽*♀️ Im conflicted, how about you? x
10oba-abbad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does running PE sessions for disadvantaged (not disabled) children count as experience in a caring role?
Studen786786786
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My volunteering is ongoing so what date do I put for when it ends ?
Tigermom
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah no I volunteer at a hospice each week, I worked at M&S for a while and volunteered helping out at a boys scouts group I just don’t know what to put down 😬😂 my work experience placement was at a hospital but it was more observational and they say on the website that they want to hear of your more active roles sooo 🤷🏽*♀️ Im conflicted, how about you? x
I'm just the mom of a first year med student at Manchester. But your volunteering roles are fantastic. So is having a job. My son also did a hospital placement, but his volunteering was more hands-on. Your volunteering roles are great, and you don't need to worry about shoehorning in the hospital experience. Only if you can relate it to something valuable. Don't fret if you can't. It's far less impressive to them than your volunteering. Also, they love it when you have a job. Make something out of that in the relevant place (dealing with angry customers, examples of teamwork, etc). You've got some great stuff there, so don't worry. Good luck.
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Studen786786786)
My volunteering is ongoing so what date do I put for when it ends ?
Same! I’m thinking of stopping it in December so might just put December the 13th down
Studen786786786
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
Same! I’m thinking of stopping it in December so might just put December the 13th down
I emailed them on Friday but still no response
Chickenhead11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Studen786786786)
I emailed them on Friday but still no response
Could u let me know what they say, when they reply?
lifeofamedic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Chickenhead11)
You could put the date you plan to finish it, I put the date I'd start uni as I was planning on continuing until I moved out. If you're not sure when you are going to finish, you can take a guess or put the date you submit the form to indicate that it's ongoing.

The finishing date is more for them to see how long you've already volunteered for, so whether you choose today's date or a future date won't make much of a difference as it's about how long you've spent prior to applying if that makes sense
Last edited by lifeofamedic; 3 months ago
Tsruser123456
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tigermom)
I'm just the mom of a first year med student at Manchester. But your volunteering roles are fantastic. So is having a job. My son also did a hospital placement, but his volunteering was more hands-on. Your volunteering roles are great, and you don't need to worry about shoehorning in the hospital experience. Only if you can relate it to something valuable. Don't fret if you can't. It's far less impressive to them than your volunteering. Also, they love it when you have a job. Make something out of that in the relevant place (dealing with angry customers, examples of teamwork, etc). You've got some great stuff there, so don't worry. Good luck.
Thank you so much! I’m really worried because obviously everyone has some really great experiences but fingers crossed 🤞🏼 also are they enjoying Manchester?
Tigermom
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much! I’m really worried because obviously everyone has some really great experiences but fingers crossed 🤞🏼 also are they enjoying Manchester?
You've got amazing experience. Seriously. You're looking good. As I said though, it's what you draw out of it. But you look better than my son did. He just did the care home. He mostly drew a lot from his job: lifeguarding, where he had to deal with some heated moments (this was valuable, as he could show how he dealt with those situations) plus had three rescues (he touched on one rescue and what he got out of it), a spinal injury, (example of team work going into action). He did make one reference to his hospital work experience, but it was short and sweet. And yes, he's loving Manchester (his first choice). He's constantly revising. He especially loves the PBL component.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads