I struggle with Essay Writing what should I do?

Watch this thread
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I struggle with Essay Writing so I don’t want to do any essay subjects if possible at A-Level and I don’t think I have done well enough at GCSE in Science to do any science a-levels except Physics and Maths where I may get in if I told them what I actually got in my Physics Exam Papers but then again I don’t want to be an engineer in the future and with Maths, I am very likely to get in as I have been trying to get a higher grade in it all of this year. I actually want to be an accountant. I have thought about a lot of other options for September but I think it is better if I go down the A-Level route as I would be more academic. Originally I chose Maths, Accounting and Economics A-Levels but the problem with that is that Maths is a Science subject and Accounting and Economics are both essay subjects which are things that I don’t want to do. I am really not sure what to do instead as I am thinking I should go down a different route. I know that there are not many A-Levels that are not Essay Subjects or Science Subjects so it would be hard to find three of those so I am thinking of not doing A-Levels and doing a BTEC or an apprenticeship instead.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
How about address the issues rather than running away.
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by random_matt)
How about address the issues rather than running away.
Yes,I could do that are you saying that you may be able to help me. The main things are that I struggle with in Essay Writing are:understanding the question and structuring my essays and developing points.
JT_888
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mjhmichael18)
I struggle with Essay Writing so I don’t want to do any essay subjects if possible at A-Level and I don’t think I have done well enough at GCSE in Science to do any science a-levels except Physics and Maths where I may get in if I told them what I actually got in my Physics Exam Papers but then again I don’t want to be an engineer in the future and with Maths, I am very likely to get in as I have been trying to get a higher grade in it all of this year. I actually want to be an accountant. I have thought about a lot of other options for September but I think it is better if I go down the A-Level route as I would be more academic. Originally I chose Maths, Accounting and Economics A-Levels but the problem with that is that Maths is a Science subject and Accounting and Economics are both essay subjects which are things that I don’t want to do. I am really not sure what to do instead as I am thinking I should go down a different route. I know that there are not many A-Levels that are not Essay Subjects or Science Subjects so it would be hard to find three of those so I am thinking of not doing A-Levels and doing a BTEC or an apprenticeship instead.
Hey! Firstly, it's very difficult for anyone to give any sound advice about your next path post-16 but it's clear that you're not confident in essay-writing and doing essay-based subjects. Having studied, A-Level economics, I can say that it's honestly not as bad as you think as compared with humanities subjects like history, geography etc. you need to write in paragraphs whereas with economics, you could technically get away with writing excessively long paragraphs. Besides, the examiners don't care so long you hit the marking criteria for your response to the data-based economics questions. I suppose reading more widely outside of your academics is a good place to start even if it's just a newspaper etc. as you'll gradually pick up the way people write and you'll soon be able to improve your writing skills. Hope that helps.
random_matt
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yes,I could do that are you saying that you may be able to help me. The main things are that I struggle with in Essay Writing are:understanding the question and structuring my essays and developing points.
There are plenty of tutors to help you, even the great old google exists.
LaughterIsMyDrug
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey, here are some general tips that I can give to help you with your essay writing that I learnt from my A levels and so far at uni:

1) Although every question is different, it is good to start with an intro that demonstrates you understand the question (ie use key terms from the question), provide some context to the answer (like the bigger picture), and set out what your essay will do - as in how will you address the question (eg, the following will discuss why...., it will do this by evaluating....). Don't make the intro too lengthy, keep it clear and concise.
2) To help develop your points get used to using words like therefore, however, despite this etc - it encourages you to think about the causes/effects of the points you're making. Also try contrasting your arguments with what other authors/people might think.
3) Try to link your arguments together to make the essay flow well - maybe your last point is only relevant in certain situations, so you specify other scenarios in your next point.
4) For understanding questions, it may help to understand the differences between explain, analyse, evaluate, discuss etc - some exam boards have different specifications

Ultimately, practice and responding to feedback from your teachers is the best way improve your essay writing, as well as reading other people's essays or articles to get an insight in the ways to approach essay writing
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There are some good books by Palgrave. Amazon are cheapest I think. Take a look at them or see if your library has some. Read other essays, plan out your structure, know what you need to include. Could you get a private English tutor to help you with essay writing? I was petrified of writing essays and they turned out really well. I know it's hard but you can get support. Your essays don't have to be perfect. I can find the right books tomorrow if you want to give me a message and I'll tell you which ones. You can do this! Also for understanding the question, get out those trusty highlighters.
Last edited by Plain1; 2 years ago
jbrdodd
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You get used to it and develop your skills with every essay you write; from the end of GCSES to the end of A Levels, my essay writing skills improved significantly
rojomed
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by plainjayne1)
There are some good books by Palgrave. Amazon are cheapest I think. Take a look at them or see if your library has some. Read other essays, plan out your structure, know what you need to include. Could you get a private English tutor to help you with essay writing? I was petrified of writing essays and they turned out really well. I know it's hard but you can get support. Your essays don't have to be perfect. I can find the right books tomorrow if you want to give me a message and I'll tell you which ones. You can do this! Also for understanding the question, get out those trusty highlighters.
Hi I've got the same issue could recommend me some books. That would be helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads