Engineering requirements for level 3 extended diploma Watch

Tai007
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Good afternoon everybody and how are you lot are doing? I'm a student of Canterbury College and there is something that I would like to ask anyone a question about what it could lead me to do the level 3 course in engineering, which leaves me to feel unsure about the right requirements of doing the btec course in my college. So here is the question, would I be accepted into the course as I got 4s in both english language and mathematics which the requirements are 4 Cs or 4s including English and Maths at Level 5 at the college in Canterbury?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tai007)
Good afternoon everybody and how are you lot are doing? I'm a student of Canterbury College and there is something that I would like to ask anyone a question about what it could lead me to do the level 3 course in engineering, which leaves me to feel unsure about the right requirements of doing the btec course in my college. So here is the question, would I be accepted into the course as I got 4s in both english language and mathematics which the requirements are 4 Cs or 4s including English and Maths at Level 5 at the college in Canterbury?
4 Cs or 4s including English and Maths at Level 5 at the college in Canterbury

It says you need English and Maths at level 5, but you only have level 4, so that would not meet the requirements.
Tai007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Okay 999tigger, there is something that I really want to ask you about being in first year of taking level 3 engineering. So here it is, if I really want to study at one college to do level 3 extended diploma engineering for first year, but deciding to switch to another or the same/previous college and start doing second year in any other places, so will it be possible for me to that as level 3 extended diploma in engineering is a 2 years course??
Last edited by Tai007; 2 weeks ago
Q and A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you Shall be fine. have u done ur level 3 or 4
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Tai007
Rep:
?
No, I haven't started level 3 engineering course. But I what had been told when I was at my college meeting with my father, one of lectures told me and him that my engineering tutor (who is in charge of the entire department of both engineering and motor vehicle), said to him that I will not be accepted to level 3 extended dipolma because I always asked for help all of the time from teachers which makes me not to have confidence in moving on to the next step after level 2 engineering product design, where there is no help for students as doing level 3 is extremely difficult and not ready for it yet, according to my lecture. However, I have been given two options by my lecture: either, if I want to stay on the same college to do another level 2 course in fabrication and welding before going on to level 3 with not much support from staffs or instead I should go to another college and do level 3 extended dipolma there if I really want to take level 3 there, not in the same college I go to in Canterbury, Kent.
(Original post by Q and A)
you Shall be fine. have u done ur level 3 or 4
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My perosnal advice will be move to a diffrent college. No point you doing the same level in a diffrent area in engineering. I'm doing engineering myself and level 3 is not that hard. keep focused during classes and try to do research and u will be fine.
Tai007
Rep:
?
Q and A, what advices can you give me if I really want to start doing level 3 extended diploma for first year, as I have downloaded pdf (of how to make:electronics book, solidworks books, mathematics and physics books), starting from now in order to gain confidence with no help from staffs at another college in the level 3 course??
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
when u dont understand anything ask. dont give a **** if u are wrong. it shows that you have a pint and u bring it across the table. ask lots of question. Be active
Tai007
Rep:
?
Thank you. I really wanna become an electrical/ electronic engineer when I grow up after finishing college for university or apprenticeship as I'm used to understanding ways to connect right components on an electrical board from schematic diagram. As well as I really do like robotics, seeing how engineers make robots in the industry on the internet and 3D printing from CAD, like Solidworks or AutoCad.
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you. I really wanna become an electrical/ electronic engineer when I grow up after finishing college for university or apprenticeship as I'm used to understanding ways to connect right components on an electrical board from schematic diagram. As well as I really do like robotics, seeing how engineers make robots in the industry on the internet and 3D printing from CAD, like Solidworks or AutoCad.
wish you the best of luck.
Tai007
Rep:
?
At the moment, I still struggle how to read the engineering drawings and design it on Solidworks as it is hard for me to tell whether I need to add, subtract, multiply, divide or not of those numbers, but I'm getting to try so hard to understand how it works to use the CAD program. Btw, what are the other books that I need to prepare for level 3 by ordering them from amazon as I do have btec engineering level 3, further or A- levels mathematics, A-level physics in mind??
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A levels are much harder what course are you willing to do
Tai007
Rep:
?
Still Level 3 extended diploma at another college which is equivalent to 2 or 3 A levels in engineering
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, okay. in regards to book I would recommend engineering books and physics books. Not maths books as their have that much involved. but I never brought books because I found my answers online like majority of them
Tai007
Rep:
?
Alright, where can I get answers online that you always go on for your studies in your course and tell what are they called- please list them for me, would ya?? There is something I really need to tell you is that I'm not good at engineering workshops( especially operating secondary machining, like the lathe) in general so can I do to get better at it??
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I find my answers just by googling them. websites will come up with good information. in regards to workshops all you have to do is that look at the teacher demonstrating it and take down notes and their wikk help you later in while assessing you. also take in consideration of the new btec as I am doing the old btec. I think fir the sperember 201o start I new btec is in place with an exam at the end of the year
Tai007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Q and A)
I find my answers just by googling them. websites will come up with good information. in regards to workshops all you have to do is that look at the teacher demonstrating it and take down notes and their wikk help you later in while assessing you. also take in consideration of the new btec as I am doing the old btec. I think fir the sperember 201o start I new btec is in place with an exam at the end of the year
Hello Q and A, and how are you today? And I do have a question for you to ask about apprenticeships as I am thinking of to do one that relates to engineering for level 3. Okay, here is my question, I want to do an advanced apprenticeship for 45 months in electrical engineering, but I want to do it for 2 years and start going to university afterwards, so can it happen like that??
Q and A
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hello Q and A, and how are you today? And I do have a question for you to ask about apprenticeships as I am thinking of to do one that relates to engineering for level 3. Okay, here is my question, I want to do an advanced apprenticeship for 45 months in electrical engineering, but I want to do it for 2 years and start going to university afterwards, so can it happen like that??
Hi there,
I dont know much about apprenticeship. But a level 3 apprentiship is really hard to get. If you have done level 2 apprenticeship in a previous apprenticeship there is a good chance of getting it as you have industry experince. Dont get me wrong but it is competitive to get a level 3 apprenticeship but you may be lucky and may just get hold of one. the apprenticeship length is up to the employer and can be dependant on what he chooses for you.
yes sure. you can go to university after doing your apprenticeship just have to ensure you have enough UCAS points. Hope this helps
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Alright, where can I get answers online that you always go on for your studies in your course and tell what are they called- please list them for me, would ya?? There is something I really need to tell you is that I'm not good at engineering workshops( especially operating secondary machining, like the lathe) in general so can I do to get better at it??
Are there any courses nearby such as in the evening or at weekends? They'd be good opportunities to build up your confidence with machinery like lathes. This should help you become more independent and not need assistance from tutors which would help you progress.

Your question regarding an apprenticeship is quite tricky. Whilst I can understand what you're trying to do, I don't think it's feasible. If the employer has specified it is a 45 month course, this will most likely be the minimum term you must undertake (i.e. if you don't stay on top of workload it could get extended, but the soonest you could finish would be 45 months - as is the case on my apprenticeship). The employer should also have a structured training/qualification programme so this would determine whether or not you could go to university after 2 years, but I imagine if it is a level 3/advanced apprenticeship you will complete a Level 3 qualification in the first 12-24 months and then progress onto HNC/HND Level qualifications, rather than straight into a degree.

If you're really keen on the idea of an apprenticeship, I'd recommend you contact the provider of the electrical one you've found and ask them to talk you through their programme so you understand what exactly it would entail

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Tai007
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Are there any courses nearby such as in the evening or at weekends? They'd be good opportunities to build up your confidence with machinery like lathes. This should help you become more independent and not need assistance from tutors which would help you progress.

Your question regarding an apprenticeship is quite tricky. Whilst I can understand what you're trying to do, I don't think it's feasible. If the employer has specified it is a 45 month course, this will most likely be the minimum term you must undertake (i.e. if you don't stay on top of workload it could get extended, but the soonest you could finish would be 45 months - as is the case on my apprenticeship). The employer should also have a structured training/qualification programme so this would determine whether or not you could go to university after 2 years, but I imagine if it is a level 3/advanced apprenticeship you will complete a Level 3 qualification in the first 12-24 months and then progress onto HNC/HND Level qualifications, rather than straight into a degree.

If you're really keen on the idea of an apprenticeship, I'd recommend you contact the provider of the electrical one you've found and ask them to talk you through their programme so you understand what exactly it would entail

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Thank you from your advice as I'm feeling positive. Somehow, what if I really want to switch from doing an apprenticeship to a level 3 engineering course right away for this or next year- I mean can it work like that??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads