The Student Room Group

GCSE Grade 9 @ University

I just want to know, will Universities such as Oxford or Cambridge start recognising grade 9s and use them to distinguish against students with grade 8s; have they already started doing this? Likewise, if not, would this mean as a student with straight 9s would be regarded as equivalent to one with straight 8s when shortlisting/inviting for interviews at some universities, especially Oxford? Furthermore, I would appreciate it if your answers could be tailored towards the aforementioned Universities as well as Medicine specifically.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this question.
Probably not, considering you’ll be sitting the BMAT. That’s the real difference that matters between you and others.
Reply 2
Original post by depreshun master
Probably not, considering you’ll be sitting the BMAT. That’s the real difference that matters between you and others.

To some extent, I believe I'm paranoid. It seems illogical to not use grade 9s; I just want someone to extinguish my paranoia. The example practically everyone uses to justify getting max grades is:

"If someone has the exact same A-Level grades, the exact same BMAT score, the exact same UCAT score, what are they going to look at next? Whoever has better GCSEs."

That's a bit paraphrased but you can get the gist.
Honestly I believe a university like Oxford will not choose someone over someone else if they have a 9 instead of an 8. What they look for is love and knowledge in the subject.

When I went to an open day, they said they read a successful applicant’s Personal Statement at least three times. What matters is what you know about medicine, not what GCSE grade you got. Don’t forget you’ll have an interview as well - that’s got so much more weight than anything else.

My advice, aim for the best, but don’t stress.
Original post by Shazington
To some extent, I believe I'm paranoid. It seems illogical to not use grade 9s; I just want someone to extinguish my paranoia. The example practically everyone uses to justify getting max grades is:

"If someone has the exact same A-Level grades, the exact same BMAT score, the exact same UCAT score, what are they going to look at next? Whoever has better GCSEs."

That's a bit paraphrased but you can get the gist.
Both oxfors and Cambridge regards grade 8 and 9 to be A* and so equivalent. It's great if you have 8s but for those of us that got those 9s it's quite frustrating. I suppose they might look at that if they can't decide between two candidates ,though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending