The Student Room Group

Is it still possible?

I know I feel im going to get hate for this but hear me out.

I've written a few posts like this in the past but obviously, I don't feel that I did well in my GCSE and obviously if I get a 4 - 5 then that's great. but obviously, as in the future, I would like to be a commercial pilot and so you need a levels however all the a levels require 6 - 7 + in GCSEs but for me, that is not possible as I could never get above a grade 5. Obviously, people are going to say this is going to affect me being a pilot. But the thing is I don't want to give up dreaming to be a pilot because I still think there is a slight change in which it could be possible.

Does anyone think that I could retake/ find a way that will make this possible?
Reply 1
You don't have to do a levels you could do equivalents like a BTEC in travel and tourism or whatever the pilot training courses are called. I don't know, have a look at courses on college websites or talk to your schools careers advisor. I think a level 2 BTEC First diploma in whatever subject is equivalent to 3-4 GCSE's and a level 3 btec is equivalent 1-3 a levels depending on what type you do ie National, Extended etc. BTEC's are much easier than a levels. It depends on what qualifications you need to become a pilot though. They might need a levels or might accept equivalents. I'm not sure, Find that out first.
Reply 2
A Levels in Physics and Maths are needed because the pilot tests, if i recall right, are based on mechanics anyhow. Travel and tourism BTEC is, like, rubbish - definitely don't do that.
You do not need A levels to be a commercial pilot in all cases, only some airlines require them so I would not worry too much about the GCSEs until you know for sure. My boyfriend has got his private pilots licence and has received places at several commercial training schools already and he has not got any A levels yet and they do not require them at all for the course. I would try not to stress too much until you know the results, even though the wait is a killer! :smile:
Original post by EmilyGaskin
You do not need A levels to be a commercial pilot in all cases, only some airlines require them so I would not worry too much about the GCSEs until you know for sure. My boyfriend has got his private pilots licence and has received places at several commercial training schools already and he has not got any A levels yet and they do not require them at all for the course. I would try not to stress too much until you know the results, even though the wait is a killer! :smile:

Really! I currently am going through the thought of that you can achieve anything in life but depending on your grades now will mean if its harder to get into later.
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
Really! I currently am going through the thought of that you can achieve anything in life but depending on your grades now will mean if its harder to get into later.

If you were to go down the commercial training school route to become a pilot, the only airline requiring A levels is British Airways and they just require 3 C’s or more (from what I’ve been told!). These GCSE’s and A levels don’t define you at all and definitely won’t hold you back from being a pilot :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by anon318
A Levels in Physics and Maths are needed because the pilot tests, if i recall right, are based on mechanics anyhow. Travel and tourism BTEC is, like, rubbish - definitely don't do that.

Nonsense. I'm an airline pilot and don't have a single A Level.
Original post by Mike172
Nonsense. I'm an airline pilot and don't have a single A Level.

Thank you so much. this is really giving me hope. If I may ask what airline are you with.
Original post by EmilyGaskin
If you were to go down the commercial training school route to become a pilot, the only airline requiring A levels is British Airways and they just require 3 C’s or more (from what I’ve been told!). These GCSE’s and A levels don’t define you at all and definitely won’t hold you back from being a pilot :smile:

Thank you very much this is very supportive. <3
Reply 9
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
Thank you so much. this is really giving me hope. If I may ask what airline are you with.

I fly for a European charter airline on the Airbus fleet.

Quick Reply

Latest