Is anyone going to the National Film and Television School?

Watch this thread
letsgotothehop
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I just got into the NFTS. I've read a bunch of things about it online, some people say it's really good and other people says it's terrible. When I went there, it seemed nice and the staff were friendly. I met one former student who is now working on a major Hollywood production. That's about all I know.

Does anyone go here/is anyone about to go here? What do you know about it if so? There isn't much information about it online, apart from its own website.
Last edited by letsgotothehop; 2 years ago
priyankachoudary
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I started researching about Universities/colleges around the UK for about 4 months now. Every person I connected with talks about NFTS. The one good thing is you get to meet a lot of industry professionals(that's some great contacts you can make)and they are well equipped. I was too late by the time I could apply and hence missed my chance to that film school. However, I looked into other and am currently waiting to hear from them. Let me know which others you looked into!
SpacePatroFan189
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hate to dig up an old thread, but how are you getting on there OP? I'm only in my second year of uni, so have quite a way to go before I'm eligible but it's one option I'm keeping in mind...
sahilspatel9
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by letsgotothehop)
I just got into the NFTS. I've read a bunch of things about it online, some people say it's really good and other people says it's terrible. When I went there, it seemed nice and the staff were friendly. I met one former student who is now working on a major Hollywood production. That's about all I know.

Does anyone go here/is anyone about to go here? What do you know about it if so? There isn't much information about it online, apart from its own website.
Hi! Did you go to NFTS then?

I want to get into it but I don't know what kind of portfolio they expect. Can you fill me on that, please? What was on your portfolio and what do they expect from us?

Thank you. Cheers!
RebeccaMc3
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi!
I have done one of the diploma programs at NFTS. The school is not without its faults and it does feel like some courses are the "favourites" (masters courses definitely) but as film schools goes it's pretty damn good. It's a good place to meet other people in the film industry who are serious about what they want to do, there are great guest speakers, the tutors have all worked or are still working in the industry. They have links with many of the London equipment rental companies, they're close to Pinewood Studios. My course was quite new and still working out some teething problems when I was there and all schools are going to have their own set of problems but as long as you go in with that in mind and understand that you get out what you put in, I'd recommend it as a school
JCinema
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello Rebecca,I went to the interview last year but I didn't get in, I think because of my English (I'm French), do you know how to have our chances to be selected?
RebeccaMc3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JCinema)
Hello Rebecca,I went to the interview last year but I didn't get in, I think because of my English (I'm French), do you know how to have our chances to be selected?
It probably depends on what course you're doing. On my diploma, the majority of people were not native English speakers and the same was true for other diplomas as well. If it's for the masters they probably have an English level requirement. Diplomas are easier to get into because you just need to show enthusiasm in the subject rather than having a lot of experience. Masters are a lot harder and have higher entry requirements. Not sure why you weren't accepted, might have just been other candidates were stronger as it's a highly sought-after school with only about 8 places per course each year.
JCinema
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I had chosen the directing fiction course, I though 8 had a good portfolio..
I was 22 last year so I don’t if a question of age...
bplimley
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RebeccaMc3)
Hi!
I have done one of the diploma programs at NFTS. The school is not without its faults and it does feel like some courses are the "favourites" (masters courses definitely) but as film schools goes it's pretty damn good. It's a good place to meet other people in the film industry who are serious about what they want to do, there are great guest speakers, the tutors have all worked or are still working in the industry. They have links with many of the London equipment rental companies, they're close to Pinewood Studios. My course was quite new and still working out some teething problems when I was there and all schools are going to have their own set of problems but as long as you go in with that in mind and understand that you get out what you put in, I'd recommend it as a school
Hey Rebecca, I've just been accepted onto the AD/FM Diploma at NFTS - I'm not so worried about the school and the course, but I was wondering what you can tell me about student life there? I'm assuming you were studying in Beaconsfield.
RebeccaMc3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bplimley)
Hey Rebecca, I've just been accepted onto the AD/FM Diploma at NFTS - I'm not so worried about the school and the course, but I was wondering what you can tell me about student life there? I'm assuming you were studying in Beaconsfield.
Hey, congratulations!

I worked alongside many of the AD students, you'll get a lot of on set experience at NFTS.
I studied at Beaconsfield but due to how the AC course is set up (3 weeks on then two weeks filming then a 2 month break) I decided to continue living in London. I think everyone on the AD/FM course lived in beaconsfield as they were more full-time (which I would recommend to get the most out of the experience). Travelling to central London is easily enough for weekends/ to go to industry events.

Student life is really good, there's a bar in the cafeteria area that opens after classes and a lot of people stay to chat and play foosball/ table tennis. You'll work with a lot of people in different departments and different years. There's even some international filming. I'm sure it's been a bit different with Covid but they have great guest speakers come in like cinematographers from GOT and the creator/writer of Derry Girls. On the grad films/first-year films, they bring in professional 1st ADs so you can learn from people who are already working in the industry and form connections.

Like most schools, it is very much what you make of it. The diplomas are only a year long so I'd very much recommend a work hard/play hard experience (of course look after yourself and get enough sleep) but you will meet people who will continue to recommend jobs for years to come.

Let me know if I've missed anything/ any specific questions about how things work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (11)
32.35%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (16)
47.06%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (7)
20.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads