The Student Room Group

Rugby position

Hi. I’m moving towns in a couple of weeks and will be playing for a new club. I’ve kinda been asked to play a few different positions since stepping up to senior rugby but really want to cement one position down if possible.

So I’m 21, 5’8/9 and weigh 95-97kg. I’d say that my main strengths are my ability at the breakdown to either secure possession in attack or turn the ball over when we’re defending, I’ve got good footwork and decent passing skills, I’m a strong tackler and I’d say my workrate is good as well. I enjoy the physical side of the game, getting off the line and hitting people defensively. Weaknesses I guess are jumping at the line out because of my height, I’m not brilliant under high kicks, I’m not fast and I’ve never played front row in terms of the scrum which is why hooker may need some thought.

My ultimate goal is to play at county level and hopefully use rugby as a way of seeing a bit the world. Was just wondering which position you guys think I should try and prioritise. Thank you.
(edited 4 years ago)
I would say your too small for hooker, especially if you play with props who are tall.

Ideal position would be flanker, or maybe inside centre,

Quick Reply

Latest