The Student Room Group

Living at home for uni

I’m applying for uni next year and I’m a bit conflicted. I have always wanted to study in Edinburgh and I live really close so I don’t know if i should stay at home or stay in halls because it is really expensive. It would be great if anyone could share their experiences living at home and if they felt it affected their first year of uni or anything
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Emma Dickson
I’m applying for uni next year and I’m a bit conflicted. I have always wanted to study in Edinburgh and I love really close so I don’t know if i should stay at home or stay in halls because it is really expensive. It would be great if anyone could share their experiences living at home and if they felt it affected their first year of uni or anything

if you live at home it is what you make of it, if you make the effort to get involved in activities and find a way to do nights out (if you like that) then you can make it work.
As a student, and I'm sure many others will agree, I'm ridiculously jealous of your opportunity. Save money and be with family. Sounds like a win-win.
I stayed in halls for my first year and knew people who lived locally at home, and it seemed like that didn't change anything. Their social life, fitting in on campus, being aware of uni events, etc., and all was entirely determined by their personality. If they make the effort to get involved, whether at home or in halls, their social life was great.

Getting involved at uni is really important for future careers, and personally I don't think it depends on whether you live in halls or not. It's just about the effort you put into it.
Reply 3
Living in Halls is a good experience for the first year so do it if you can afford it. You can always move back in the second year if you don’t like it.
I just finished my first year and lived at home. It obviously helps financially and for me it was the best option because i could keep up with hobbies and passions i had outside of uni, and also be with my family. However consider the travel, i spent a lot of time travelling to and from uni instead of working, but that is dependent on how far your travelling and the contact hours you have. I would highly recommend getting involved in freshers and joining societies, if you do that and get involved then i dont think you will miss out at all!
I would always urge you to give halls a go, at least in your first year. Uni is probably the first chance you've ever had of being truly independent, and living in halls is a fantastic experience. I ended up living at home part way into my second year, but not through choice - it was because I'd stupidly got a flat with my then-boyfriend (WAY too soon), and we ended up breaking up and he insisted I had to be the one who moved out. It was a privately rented flat which I loved, and 8 years down the line he's still there :frown:.
Reply 6
How far do you live from the university, and from areas with student halls/ accommodation. I think that makes a huge difference.
This is a similar question but does anyone got the University of York and if so do they stay on campus or at home, how far do you have to travel if you live at home? I'm still debating whether I should live on campus or not because it would mean moving away from Manchester which is where I currently live.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ja78975
This is a similar question but does anyone got the University of York and if so do they stay on campus or at home, how far do you have to travel if you live at home? I'm still debating whether I should live on campus or not because it would mean moving away from Manchester which is where I currently live.

Manchester to York is a pretty impossible commute. York university isn't particularly central - it would take hours each day.
Reply 9
Living in halls isn't as great as everyone makes it. To make it a great experience, that's all on you. Not where you stay.
Original post by ajj2000
Manchester to York is a pretty impossible commute. York university isn't particularly central - it would take hours each day.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I may decide to stay on campus, I know I kind of worded my question wrong but I may is it better to stay on campus or live at home, the University and how far it is doesn't need to be taken into account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending