The Student Room Group

Changing my life for the “better”

I need to work so I could start having a life. I’m 18 years (turning 19 in a month) and I’ve never worked before. We’ve got no financial issues to deal with hence why I don’t but I’m starting to think this is MY future not anyone’s.

So I’ve got a childcare level 3 and I despite working in a nursery tbh. Does anyone know where I could work other than that?
Original post by Anonymous
I need to work so I could start having a life. I’m 18 years (turning 19 in a month) and I’ve never worked before. We’ve got no financial issues to deal with hence why I don’t but I’m starting to think this is MY future not anyone’s.

So I’ve got a childcare level 3 and I despite working in a nursery tbh. Does anyone know where I could work other than that?

Are you still interested in working in childcare or would you be open to retraining in a field that interests you more?

In the meantime, you can get a stopgap job whilst you deliberate on your career options, earning a little money and gaining experience. Have a look on job sites and social media to see what is available in your local area. Typically retail (depending on the company), cleaning, waitressing, bar work roles, takeaway delivery drivers (if you can drive) will hire those with no or little experience. You could also consider volunteering to gain experience - visit your local volunteer centre or look at do-it.org. You can learn new skills, meet new people and might help you gain perspective on the things that do interest you.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Are you still interested in working in childcare or would you be open to retraining in a field that interests you more?

In the meantime, you can get a stopgap job whilst you deliberate on your career options, earning a little money and gaining experience. Have a look on job sites and social media to see what is available in your local area. Typically retail (depending on the company), cleaning, waitressing, bar work roles, takeaway delivery drivers (if you can drive) will hire those with no or little experience. You could also consider volunteering to gain experience - visit your local volunteer centre or look at do-it.org. You can learn new skills, meet new people and might help you gain perspective on the things that do interest you.

Yes x. I was hoping to just work in childcare but since I really want to change my life (lol sounds odd) I’m going to have to start looking at retail jobs too. I’m starting university in 2 months time I think so do you think that’ll be enough?
Yes x. I was hoping to just work in childcare but since I really want to change my life (lol sounds odd) I’m going to have to start looking at retail jobs too. I’m starting university in 2 months time I think so do you think that’ll be enough?

If you are looking to get into work, it is a good idea to be open to what type of roles you are applying for. What degree are you studying at university? If you are moving away for university, you might find it difficult to find a role for 2 months in the town you are living in. You could look into volunteering to gain some transferrable skills in this time and then when you move for university, start looking for part time work there?
Reply 4
If you are looking to get into work, it is a good idea to be open to what type of roles you are applying for. What degree are you studying at university? If you are moving away for university, you might find it difficult to find a role for 2 months in the town you are living in. You could look into volunteering to gain some transferrable skills in this time and then when you move for university, start looking for part time work there?

Yes, I suppose so. Thank you for the tips x. I’m studying psychology (it’s going to be my second year so I’m scared it’s harder than the first). I won’t be moving towns, I’ll still be living with my family x. That’s a great idea and I was thinking the same but I couldn’t find any places looking for volunteers so I decided i should give working part time a try.
Yes, I suppose so. Thank you for the tips x. I’m studying psychology (it’s going to be my second year so I’m scared it’s harder than the first). I won’t be moving towns, I’ll still be living with my family x. That’s a great idea and I was thinking the same but I couldn’t find any places looking for volunteers so I decided i should give working part time a try.

Second year is typically more challenging than the first, but if you are interested in the context and dealt well with first year, keep organised and on top of your studies, you should be able to cope with the change! If you are going to be staying at home, then you could start looking for part time work now. You may find vacancies for work or volunteering at your student union, so it is worth searching around. You could also ask friends or family if they know of any vacancies going where they work. Best of luck!
Reply 6
I’ll try my best to stay on top of my assignment and studies. Thank you so much for your help and tips l. You’ve helped me a lot!!
Second year is typically more challenging than the first, but if you are interested in the context and dealt well with first year, keep organised and on top of your studies, you should be able to cope with the change! If you are going to be staying at home, then you could start looking for part time work now. You may find vacancies for work or volunteering at your student union, so it is worth searching around. You could also ask friends or family if they know of any vacancies going where they work. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending