Summer Book Recommendations: German-spoken novels

Watch
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi lovely readers!

As a German, the most books and novels I have read were in my mother tongue, just a few in English, although I am looking for good ones (Joyce's Ulysses for instance). That is why I would love to rcommend you some good German-spoken novels for the summer here at this place.

Night Train to Lisbon (Pascal Mercier)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Train_to_Lisbon

Raimund Gredorius, just called „mundus“ by his students and friends, is an expert in ancient languages (Latin, Ancient Greek and Hebrew) which he teaches at a Gymnasium in Bern. On a day to his work, he saved a mysterious Portuguese women from assumed death and that will change his routined everyday life.

I liked the versatility of this novel: it is a history novel about Portugal's past, an adventure about Prado's life as a doctor and mysterious literary men, a detective when former people in Prado's lifetime are traced to get finally know who this young guy was. And last but not least it can be read as a travel novel at the passages where Gregorius is going to Portugal and back to Switzerland.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel)

The novel is a masterpiece when it is about to explain and describe the world of scents just with the sense of smile to get into a new world in your mind. That makes this novel so unique about an orphan by the name of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in the France of 18 th century who seems to be blessed with the gift of a fine nose to distinguish the vast ranges scents from one to another. The genre is versatile as well: it can be regarded as a criminal, educational and historical novel with parodies as their elements.

Ich nannte ihn Krawatte ( I called him tie/ Milena Michiko Flasar)
http://archive.new-books-in-german.c...2/design1.html

In this short novel story by the Japanese-Austrian author Milena Michiko Flasar, two people encounter each other on a bench when the protagonist Hiro began to escape from his parent's house as hikikomori. The other one is an old man who works as a salaryman, but has with Hiro in common that he refused the norms around them, living for their own and in their way. Step by step they come closer and tell about their lives and try to come back. My secret favorite!

And what about you, guys? Did you have read German-spoken novels in original or translated language so far? If so which of them? Which would you recommend to read? or any German novels you would love to read in the future? I am so exciting for your answers. Share our experiences and book names with me, please!

Last edited by jenhasdreams; 1 year ago
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The highlight of reading for me these days is work emails
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:confused:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
:confused:
Why are you so confused? something which don't work with the added links to the recommended novels again?
CheeseIsVeg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I never really got that into German literature as its the language I find harder to get into really
My exchange student gave me these teen-fiction dragon series that I tried not really my genre though!
I mainly stuck to things like Harry Potter, the Boy in the Striped pyjamas + little "readers" instead of actual German literature :hide:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
I never really got that into German literature as its the language I find harder to get into really
My exchange student gave me these teen-fiction dragon series that I tried not really my genre though!
I mainly stuck to things like Harry Potter, the Boy in the Striped pyjamas + little "readers" instead of actual German literature :hide:
Yeah, it does not surprise me what you are thinking about German literature, as the language German is considered as a tough one by the British in general. And sophisticated German written novels are truly for experts in German, be it the recommended books above or the classics.

Some German(-spoken) authors or poets you know?
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 years ago
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll try and check some out
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have read quite a few classic German novels. My son also read these whilst reading German at Oxford. See his chapter about applying:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6054206

I like reading Agatha Christie in German, too. However nothing beats a proper German novel. My faves are der Vorleser and Die Leiden des jungen Werther.
(Original post by Kallisto)
Hi lovely readers!

As a German, the most books and novels I have read were in my mother tongue, just a few in English, although I am looking for good ones (Joyce's Ulysses for instance). That is why I would love to rcommend you some good German-spoken novels for the summer here at this place.

Night Train to Lisbon (Pascal Mercier)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Train_to_Lisbon

Raimund Gredorius, just called „mundus“ by his students and friends, is an expert in ancient languages (Latin, Ancient Greek and Hebrew) which he teaches at a Gymnasium in Bern. On a day to his work, he saved a mysterious Portuguese women from assumed death and that will change his routined everyday life.

I liked the versatility of this novel: it is a history novel about Portugal's past, an adventure about Prado's life as a doctor and mysterious literary men, a detective when former people in Prado's lifetime are traced to get finally know who this young guy was. And last but not least it can be read as a travel novel at the passages where Gregorius is going to Portugal and back to Switzerland.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel)

The novel is a masterpiece when it is about to explain and describe the world of scents just with the sense of smile to get into a new world in your mind. That makes this novel so unique about an orphan by the name of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in the France of 18 th century who seems to be blessed with the gift of a fine nose to distinguish the vast ranges scents from one to another. The genre is versatile as well: it can be regarded as a criminal, educational and historical novel with parodies as their elements.

Ich nannte ihn Krawatte ( I called him tie/ Milena Michiko Flasar)
http://archive.new-books-in-german.com/english/1043/335/335/129002/design1.html

In this short novel story by the Japanese-Austrian author Milena Michiko Flasar, two people encounter each other on a bench when the protagonist Hiro began to escape from his parent's house as hikikomori. The other one is an old man who works as a salaryman, but has with Hiro in common that he refused the norms around them, living for their own and in their way. Step by step they come closer and tell about their lives and try to come back. My secret favorite!

And what about you, guys? Did you have read German-spoken novels in original or translated language so far? If so which of them? Which would you recommend to read? or any German novels you would love to read in the future? I am so exciting for your answers. Share our experiences and book names with me, please!

Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
pls don't recommend me more things, I've already got an entire shelf of unreads thank
Kallisto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have read quite a few classic German novels. My son also read these whilst reading German at Oxford. See his chapter about applying:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6054206

I like reading Agatha Christie in German, too. However nothing beats a proper German novel. My faves are der Vorleser and Die Leiden des jungen Werther.
It is nice to see that you and your son reading German (translated) novels and Die Leiden des jungen Werther are well known to me. Read this epistolary novel last year when I got it by my friend. But to be honest it was not my taste of a novel.

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
pls don't recommend me more things, I've already got an entire shelf of unreads thank
Okay, I don't do anylonger, but I you get more books anyway: have the same problem when I see a good book to buy and although I am hesitating, I acquired it at the end. And my shelves are almost entire too...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads