meyerlansky451
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I want to change my career and pursue Accountancy.

I'm thinking about self-studying AAT Level 2 and I was wondering if someone could advise me on the study materials?

I work full time and I want to study by myself at the lowest cost possible.

I've seen that many publishers (osborne, kaplan, bpp etc) offer books for every module.

1. Which publisher do you think is worth looking at?

2. Do I need to buy books for 2019?

3. Do you think it's a good idea to buy new(not used) books? (in order to access online resources etc)

4. Considering that I'm self-motivated, organised and determined - would you say it'd be easy for me to pursue it without any help from a course provider? I think nowadays a lot can be learned from google/you tube/accounting forums etc. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by meyerlansky451)
Hi there,

I want to change my career and pursue Accountancy.

I'm thinking about self-studying AAT Level 2 and I was wondering if someone could advise me on the study materials?

I work full time and I want to study by myself at the lowest cost possible.

I've seen that many publishers (osborne, kaplan, bpp etc) offer books for every module.

1. Which publisher do you think is worth looking at?

2. Do I need to buy books for 2019?

3. Do you think it's a good idea to buy new(not used) books? (in order to access online resources etc)

4. Considering that I'm self-motivated, organised and determined - would you say it'd be easy for me to pursue it without any help from a course provider? I think nowadays a lot can be learned from google/you tube/accounting forums etc. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
How you learn depends on yourself. I would recommend going with a course provider, as whilst there is a lot of resources out there, studying with a course provider will give you more structure and detail, and in most cases, a tutor is there to provide extra support.

There are different ways of studying AAT - classroom, live lectures online, on-demand videos online or distance learning. Which way you choose will depend on your preference and circumstances. Kaplan and BPP are more well known, and whilst more expensive, offer more resources for study and exam preparation. I have also heard good things about Eagle Education and Osborne. You may find a local college or evening class or offers AAT study. Do your research to see which suits you best.

For some providers, books and e-learning resources are included. They will usually be up-to-date with current material to reflect the syllabus.
meyerlansky451
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot for you reply

The thing is, when I was at Uni, I never enjoyed going to the lectures and seminars and I did very well by studying by myself in my room. So I would really like to do the same thing here. get the books > study at home whenever I want > sign up for the assessments myself
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks a lot for you reply

The thing is, when I was at Uni, I never enjoyed going to the lectures and seminars and I did very well by studying by myself in my room. So I would really like to do the same thing here. get the books > study at home whenever I want > sign up for the assessments myself
Just to clarify:

- what is your current career?
- what have you studied before (A levels? degree?)

A practical issue with AAT (I think - it changes regularly and seems hard to get useful information about) is that there is a practical component (meaning use of software) which can be a bit difficult to access using just textbooks. Another is that many people who continue to qualify find level 2 very basic and formal courses to be a bit of a waste of time.

With that in mind, unless you are desperate to get a qualification as quickly as possible, you might want to look at getting hold of second hand textbooks from one of the known providers like BPP or Kaplan and self teaching yourself the content without paying exam or AAT fees, and then sign up for level 3 and see the best way for you to do that course.
meyerlansky451
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Just to clarify:

- what is your current career?
- what have you studied before (A levels? degree?)

A practical issue with AAT (I think - it changes regularly and seems hard to get useful information about) is that there is a practical component (meaning use of software) which can be a bit difficult to access using just textbooks. Another is that many people who continue to qualify find level 2 very basic and formal courses to be a bit of a waste of time.

With that in mind, unless you are desperate to get a qualification as quickly as possible, you might want to look at getting hold of second hand textbooks from one of the known providers like BPP or Kaplan and self teaching yourself the content without paying exam or AAT fees, and then sign up for level 3 and see the best way for you to do that course.
I did BSc Management and MSc Computer Science

Now, I'm 24 and I work as a Trainee Business Systems Analyst since December and I'm pretty sure that I don't want to carry on being in the IT industry

Do you think doing AAT would be a big step back? perhaps I should try and complete ACA with a support of an employer (if someone will hire me)
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did BSc Management and MSc Computer Science

Now, I'm 24 and I work as a Trainee Business Systems Analyst since December and I'm pretty sure that I don't want to carry on being in the IT industry

Do you think doing AAT would be a big step back? perhaps I should try and complete ACA with a support of an employer (if someone will hire me)
This question comes up a lot! I don't think its a step back so much as very different - AAT teaches the basics of a trade. If you decided to become a PA you would learn typing - its not the same academic level as a degree, but what is needed for the work. Same with AAT for accounting entry level roles.

However, with your qualifications you may well find it preferable to apply for grad schemes or other jobs which pay for training costs. What do you want out of a career in accountancy? Why do you think it would be preferable to what you do at the moment? What sort of job are you hoping for?

Also, if you are academically strong it can be more practical and far cheaper to go straight into ACCA (there are some issues taking ACA without a training contract). Much depends on what your aspirations are.
meyerlansky451
Rep:
?
This question comes up a lot! I don't think its a step back so much as very different - AAT teaches the basics of a trade. If you decided to become a PA you would learn typing - its not the same academic level as a degree, but what is needed for the work. Same with AAT for accounting entry level roles.

However, with your qualifications you may well find it preferable to apply for grad schemes or other jobs which pay for training costs. What do you want out of a career in accountancy? Why do you think it would be preferable to what you do at the moment? What sort of job are you hoping for?

Also, if you are academically strong it can be more practical and far cheaper to go straight into ACCA (there are some issues taking ACA without a training contract). Much depends on what your aspirations are.
Thanks for you prompt replies

My goal is to set up my own practice later on but obviously I want to obtain a good amount of experience over the years

I actually was applying for accounting/finance grad schemes after when I graduated in 2017 and again in 2018 but there was no interest in me whatsoever

I'm under the impression that I need to start completing a qualification myself and then get hired hoping the employer will support me and pay for the remainder
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for you prompt replies

My goal is to set up my own practice later on but obviously I want to obtain a good amount of experience over the years

I actually was applying for accounting/finance grad schemes after when I graduated in 2017 and again in 2018 but there was no interest in me whatsoever

I'm under the impression that I need to start completing a qualification myself and then get hired hoping the employer will support me and pay for the remainder
Ah, ok. Not what I expected as a response at all! Wow!

So you would like to progress to running your own accounting practice/ small business advisory firm? Thats a fine thing to aspire to (I'd hate it by the way - not for me at all so not my area of expertise). Very different from a lot of graduate careers so I can see why if that suits you other options may not.

Which part of the country are you in? Did you do A levels? How far did you get with grad scheme applications previously? Any idea where you fell down?
meyerlansky451
Rep:
?
Ah, ok. Not what I expected as a response at all! Wow!

So you would like to progress to running your own accounting practice/ small business advisory firm? Thats a fine thing to aspire to (I'd hate it by the way - not for me at all so not my area of expertise). Very different from a lot of graduate careers so I can see why if that suits you other options may not.

Which part of the country are you in? Did you do A levels? How far did you get with grad scheme applications previously? Any idea where you fell down?
I'm in West Yorkshire, working in Leeds

that's one of the problems - most of the grad schemes are always in London or other cities and I don't really want to move at the moment

I did BTEC in Construction Consequently, It's difficult to show my "passion" for accounting on CVs since I've never really done anything accounting - related. (only some modules when I was doing BSc Management)

In general, my CVs is quite empty. The only work experience I have is the one I'm doing now. So I wanted to make a move onto Accounting by doing something online in my free time (but something more sophisticated than Udemy courses)

What is the possibility that someone will here me as I am now? 0 accounting qualifications?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in West Yorkshire, working in Leeds

that's one of the problems - most of the grad schemes are always in London or other cities and I don't really want to move at the moment

I did BTEC in Construction Consequently, It's difficult to show my "passion" for accounting on CVs since I've never really done anything accounting - related. (only some modules when I was doing BSc Management)

In general, my CVs is quite empty. The only work experience I have is the one I'm doing now. So I wanted to make a move onto Accounting by doing something online in my free time (but something more sophisticated than Udemy courses)

What is the possibility that someone will here me as I am now? 0 accounting qualifications?
Well, I understand you not wanting to leave Leeds. I guess you could expand the area in which you look to Bradford and North Yorkshire?

Doing a degree in Management in now way gives you any difficulty applying for jobs - I'd guess it helps by giving you an opportunity to better understand what interests you and display that interest. For comparison the ICAEW website shows that 32% of trainee Chartered Accountants had business/ management degrees compared with 21% who studied Accounting and Finance.

One thing you should be aware of is that lots of accountants use A levels heavily in recruitment (although far less so today than 3 years ago). It can be a disadvantage not to have taken A levels or international equivalents.

The best thing to do is to look on all the websites for training positions and see what they ask for - thats generally the best way to learn about the local marketplace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (47)
17.54%
No one else does (84)
31.34%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.45%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (90)
33.58%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.24%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.24%

Watched Threads