The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Freshers' Week

How much are all of September's freshers looking forward to Week 0? If you have any questions about your first week with regard to anything from moving into halls to what you should do if you're a home student, post on here and I'll try and help you out. Can't tell you anything about bands/events yet but you'll find out in due course!
Tom

Scroll to see replies

Are non-Fresher's allowed to FW it up?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
One thing I'd say is not to get too stressed about freshers'. You meet most, if not all, of your new mates in lectures. If you are commuting and don't have mates who live in Glasgow then frankly the week is pointless and only good for getting free pens.
Is it random to just hang ask to hang around with people from your room in halls? It won't seem clingy or anything?
It's not clingy don't worry! During Fresher's I hung about with people from Wolfson, that's what everyone did.

Aww little Fresher's. :biggrin:
Reply 5
The vast majority of people in your halls won't know anyone else either so everyone hangs around together. Most people end up living the next year with people they met in halls too.

I want to be a Fresher again. :frown: This year I'll be a second year medic (If I've passed...) therefore will officially have no life outside the medical building!
Reply 6
For home students, yes you will meet many new friends in lectures but also in the student unions. My general advice is to be outgoing and open and talk to everyone. It won't be weird. I'm still great friends with a girl I started talking to in the queue for the union in our FW even though we didn't live together or do the same course.
Hanging around with people from halls is the easiest thing, everyone does it. I lived in Wolfson too and we just hung out, ended up moving into a flat with two of them cos you know them all well. For those not in halls the unions are planning more events for home students to meet each other, events in the early afternoon. If you can find someone to crash with so you can make it to evening events, its well worth it.

Also Meltdown, best of luck with your results, and yes, all my medic friends disappeared this year...
The only thing I'm disappointed at missing out on is making new friends through the people you live with in halls - I'm in my own flat with my cousin so will only be meeting people in a different setting. I don't see it as much of an issue, but it's the one thing I would change for Freshers' Week. Apart from that, I'm raring to go!!

Much more excited about starting lectures but I firmly believe I really have chosen the best possible course. :biggrin: (Good boat to be in!)
Reply 8
Captain Biggles

Much more excited about starting lectures but I firmly believe I really have chosen the best possible course. :biggrin: (Good boat to be in!)

I reckon the best course is Gaelic. :p:

It probably does have the highest success rate for getting people in the media anyway. Granted, only 10 viewers speak Gaelic and the other 100,000 can't be arsed changing the channel, but it's the ratings that count. :wink:
TomQMU
The QM are planning some day events for home students because some board members who were home students thought there wasn't enough on for them. So the events will be some time in the afternoon to give people time to go home.
Of course if you live close enough then go to night events, I met my best friend in the queue for the fratellis in my FW. Generally people at the unions will be freshers who are chatty or at least up for some chat, its a nice relaxed atmosphere.

I have absolutely no problem with not being in the flats, and it really is a minute letdown in the whole scheme of things. I'm an outgoing guy who's friendly enough, and in the setting of Freshers' Week, I'm sure I'll have no problem meeting new people. :biggrin:

Can't wait now! I'm all excited. :dancing2:
TomQMU
I'm an outgoing guy too, one of the reasons I ran for QMU board. (Its fun. But more of that later.)
Thinking about it, it only takes half the fresher population to be more outgoing than the other half for it to work. Which is statistically 100% likely.

Wow that was a useless post. I apologise.

Nah, I see what you mean. :wink:
For freshers week i basically hung about with people in my halls because we were all in the same boat and it was really good banter like :smile: definitely make the most of it.. you normally only get one :smile:
So Tom.. Say, hypothetically, someone who wasn't a fresher wanted to attend a FW event. Would there be any way for this said hypothetical person to, say, gain entrance, or otherwise sneak in? Assuming this hypothetical person hadn't bothered their hypothetical arse to become a fresher's helper?
Reply 13
does it start 15 of sept 2008?
Reply 14
Yes, but there will be events starting on the Friday before, just not a part of FW. Worth going to though.
Reply 15
TomQMU
Yes, but there will be events starting on the Friday before, just not a part of FW. Worth going to though.

see to be included in these events, do you have to pre book your accomodation? I havent, so does that mean Im only allowed in on the sunday?

has everyone pre-booked?? gawd I thought I had it all sorted :s-smilie:
Reply 16
I think you can move in on the Friday, that's what I did I think. A quick email to the accom. office will sort you out.
And just to be clear, the weekend before is not covered by your fresher's pass, so any student can go.
Reply 17
You can move in on September the 12th, so thats the friday what means that you can also go to the friday events =)
Im moving in the friday, unfortunately not before 9pm what means that I probably wont be able to go to any friday events =(
Reply 18
Blublub
You can move in on September the 12th, so thats the friday what means that you can also go to the friday events =)
Im moving in the friday, unfortunately not before 9pm what means that I probably wont be able to go to any friday events =(

did you pre book though? It says on the form that you can't move in before 2pm on the sunday. Ive emailed them but its the weekend now...

gaah so confused!
Reply 19
Toni_bean
did you pre book though? It says on the form that you can't move in before 2pm on the sunday. Ive emailed them but its the weekend now...

gaah so confused!

Do you know which accomodation you will be in yet? Ill be in Murano Street and it says on my contract that I can move in on the 12th...I also e-mailed them and told them that Ill arrive on the 12th and I think thats ok...I did not pre-book my accomodation, for me this is the official start of my contract, maybe it is different in the other halls of residences...dont really know...:confused:

Quick Reply