Studying in UK, no Bacalaureate diploma or equivalent

Watch
rom41
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello.

I am 26yo, EU citizen, working in the UK for the last 3years and I've decided that I need to start studying, because I am unhappy with my current situation and the job I have which is physically demanding, stressful and doesn't pay enough.

The problem starts with my lack of a Bacalaureate diploma or an UK equivalent and follows through with my absolute lack of mathematics knowledge.

With Brexit coming up, I don't think I can delay my enrollment into uni any further. I am already late.

What are my options?

I live in London, I was initially interested in starting something along the lines of Computer Science/ Software Engineering/ General Engineering, because these domains provide high-paying jobs, but I am not sure if I it is possible to:
*1 get into the courses with no math skills or diploma
*2 to learn these fast enough if, by some miracle I am accepted into the course.

The closest Unis( ~max 1 h commute by public transport) are:
University of Westminster
University of West London
Middlesex University
University of London

University College London ( good uni, high requirements, probably imposssible to get into, I don't know )

What are some good courses(that could provide a well paying/in-demand job) that do not require maths/ have low maths requirements?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rom41)
Hello.

I am 26yo, EU citizen, working in the UK for the last 3years and I've decided that I need to start studying, because I am unhappy with my current situation and the job I have which is physically demanding, stressful and doesn't pay enough.

The problem starts with my lack of a Bacalaureate diploma or an UK equivalent and follows through with my absolute lack of mathematics knowledge.

With Brexit coming up, I don't think I can delay my enrollment into uni any further. I am already late.

What are my options?

I live in London, I was initially interested in starting something along the lines of Computer Science/ Software Engineering/ General Engineering, because these domains provide high-paying jobs, but I am not sure if I it is possible to:
*1 get into the courses with no math skills or diploma
*2 to learn these fast enough if, by some miracle I am accepted into the course.

The closest Unis( ~max 1 h commute by public transport) are:
University of Westminster
University of West London
Middlesex University
University of London

University College London ( good uni, high requirements, probably imposssible to get into, I don't know )

What are some good courses(that could provide a well paying/in-demand job) that do not require maths/ have low maths requirements?
It is a complicated time to be an EU citizen in the UK especially if you wish to access education.
Brexit looms large and depending on what happens then that may affect your rights.
The good thing is you are already here and will be able to apply for settled status, which may well preserve your rights to education.

What we do know is that student funding is available for 2019-20 and 2020-21. Government imo has been generous to extend it to 2020.
If you start a uni course by 2020 you will be guaranteed funding.

Brexit imo will be no deal as the EU arent willing to make any changes and the UK is unwilling to accept the Irish backstop.

In your current situation you have no level 3 qualifications, which is what students aged 17/18 take in the UK to gain uni access.
A levels/ IB, BTEC, Access.
You would need to take those prior to uni. In most cases you can do that by going to FE college.

It is unclear if you would have a right to access education after 2020/2021 even if you are settled, so that might be the last year to think of as gaining HE education..

You can either study A levels yourself, but they take 2 years or possibly 1 year f fast tracked and self taught.

The alternative is an Access to HE diploma for which you can get a loan and use to apply to uni with. It is a one year course.

You will need to check entrance requirements to id the courses that interest you and what grades you need plus whether they accept access courses or require additional A level maths. You should get a move on if you want Access followed by degree to get the access done in time to enrol for uni in 2020. The entrance requirement research will show you the grades and range of courses available. You also need to get the grades.

1. You can look for access courses here.
http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx
https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSite...ch/search.aspx

2. Loans are here.
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility

3. Uni courses are here.
https://digital.ucas.com/search

One further tip is be able to provide evidence of when you got to the UK and became a resident plus all the time since to prove you live here. If you reach 5 by the time 2020 comes round you may be able to apply not just for fees but maintenance as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (636)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads