Should i choose art or music for my GCSEs

Watch
Isha786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm going to be choosing my subjects soon and I heard you can only take two so I'm going to choose DT and art or music. The thing is I can't decide between music and art so I don't know what to do I enjoy both subjects which makes it more difficult for me.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I guess which ever you’ll feel you’ll be better at?
whizzer_wins
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I didn't take Art, but, through friends who did study it, I heard it was a lot of work; they'd constantly be updating sketchbooks and annotations and other projects, plus, they had a 10 hour exam at the end of the course (split over 2 days, 5 hours each). However, the main takeaway is that it's great fun if you enjoy it. Also noteworthy is that last year, it's said that Art GCSEs were undermarked, so a lot of people were disappointed with their grades, especially after all the hard work.
whizzer_wins
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
However, I took music (the Edexcel board). It's actually a bit similar to English Lit in a way; for our exam board (Edexcel) we had eight set works, songs that we had to learn details of and critically analyses, leading up to a single exam in which fact recall, reasoning, analysis and essay writing are all tested. Luckily, the GCSE is 60% coursework (check with your exam board though), with performance and composition weighted equally, so if those end up great, you walk into your exam already with a grade 5 essentially. Do take into consideration the vast amount of content the music course requires you to learn. Good luck!
(Original post by Isha786)
I'm going to be choosing my subjects soon and I heard you can only take two so I'm going to choose DT and art or music. The thing is I can't decide between music and art so I don't know what to do I enjoy both subjects which makes it more difficult for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads