The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

What’s the best laptop should I get

I’m starting at Greenwich uni in September doing the computer Security and forensics course and I was wondering what laptop would be the best for me to have for that course.
A Nintendo DS
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Original post by Jasminebourne66
I’m starting at Greenwich uni in September doing the computer Security and forensics course and I was wondering what laptop would be the best for me to have for that course.

Hi Jasminebourne66,

Congratulations on your place at Greenwich!

Although I can't provide specific advice (it's best to speak to your Programme Leader - Peter Smith) I wanted to let you know that if you haven't made a decision or bought a laptop before starting your course we do have open access computer labs on all of our campuses, and in most of the buildings on our Greenwich campus where your Computer Security & Forensics course is based. Our Stockwell Street library also has a set of brand new laptops for hire and is open 8am - midnight most of the year, and 24/7 during exam periods.

I would also sign up for UNiDAYS once you get your student email account as they have discounts on HP, Dell and Apple.

Once you start your course with us, you'll also get up to ten free downloads of Office 365 Pro Plus for PC or Mac, and you can also run Office Mobile for Android/iPhone/Windows Phone for the duration of your study at the University because the license is linked to your student account.

Hope that helps :smile:

Tara
Reply 3
i would suggest one with a 17 inch + screen
Reply 4
Your definition of best needs to be clarified.

Do you want a high end laptop that you could use to play games in lectures?
Do you want a shiny thing that would impress everyone around you?
Do you want something that is simply enough to get the work done?

For top two cases, can't recommend anything, but for the last one, Lenovo 420-450s are very cheap and good options.
Original post by Jasminebourne66

Hi Jasminebourne66,
First of all i would like to Congratulate you on your place at Greenwich!
In order to be successful computer Security student you'll need a fast, efficient and versatile laptop. The laptop you'll choose should last through the years of undergrad.
To choose the best laptop for your course, make sure that you keep in mind several important basics such as the CPU processor speed, battery life, connectivity, RAM, hard-disk drive memory, screen size, and operating system.
You'll learn how to protect an organisation's network and systems against hackers, so you'll need a laptop that’s better than the hacker’s. The following laptops are the best for your course:
1. Apple 13 MacBook Pro: it has an 8GB RAM and a 3.1 Intel Core i5 processor. Weighing at just 3 pounds, it is one of the thinnest and lightest laptops.
2. Dell Inspiron 15.6” i7: it has 128 GB SSD for fast booting, 1TB SATA HDD, NVidia GTX 1050 GPU, and 7th generation i7 Intel processor. It has an anti-glare FHD 15”6 screen and 8GB RAM.
3. Lenovo Ideapad 510: built in a NVidia GeForce 940MX graphics, 12 GB RAM, 1000 GB Hard disk storage and Intel i7 processor. The 15.6-inch screen has the FHD IPS vibrant display.
I hope that helps!
Wishing you the best of luck with your course 😊
Kind Regards,
Essam 😊
MSc & BSc Computer Science
Original post by Student Roost - Swansea
Hi Jasminebourne66,
First of all i would like to Congratulate you on your place at Greenwich!
In order to be successful computer Security student you'll need a fast, efficient and versatile laptop. The laptop you'll choose should last through the years of undergrad.
To choose the best laptop for your course, make sure that you keep in mind several important basics such as the CPU processor speed, battery life, connectivity, RAM, hard-disk drive memory, screen size, and operating system.
You'll learn how to protect an organisation's network and systems against hackers, so you'll need a laptop that’s better than the hacker’s. The following laptops are the best for your course:
1. Apple 13 MacBook Pro: it has an 8GB RAM and a 3.1 Intel Core i5 processor. Weighing at just 3 pounds, it is one of the thinnest and lightest laptops.
2. Dell Inspiron 15.6” i7: it has 128 GB SSD for fast booting, 1TB SATA HDD, NVidia GTX 1050 GPU, and 7th generation i7 Intel processor. It has an anti-glare FHD 15”6 screen and 8GB RAM.
3. Lenovo Ideapad 510: built in a NVidia GeForce 940MX graphics, 12 GB RAM, 1000 GB Hard disk storage and Intel i7 processor. The 15.6-inch screen has the FHD IPS vibrant display.
I hope that helps!
Wishing you the best of luck with your course 😊
Kind Regards,
Essam 😊
MSc & BSc Computer Science

Thank you so much this was really helpful in helping me choose the right laptop 😊
Hello everyone,

I applied a tough postgraduate course “Computer Forensics and Cyber Security MSc, at Greenwich University starting this September but I am student who finished her degree in another university. So, I want to know do Greenwich University do Alumni discount such as 10% or 20% for students from other university in London or is it just for students who's finished within the university? before I applied I went to an open day and the person I was talking to mentioned new student from other university who want to join Greenwich gets 10% or 20% depends on their grades. So now I am in the process of paying the first payment to secure my place therefore, I want to know if the university do it or not before the process goes ahead.

Thanks.
Original post by ikraan_123
Hello everyone,

I applied a tough postgraduate course “Computer Forensics and Cyber Security MSc, at Greenwich University starting this September but I am student who finished her degree in another university. So, I want to know do Greenwich University do Alumni discount such as 10% or 20% for students from other university in London or is it just for students who's finished within the university? before I applied I went to an open day and the person I was talking to mentioned new student from other university who want to join Greenwich gets 10% or 20% depends on their grades. So now I am in the process of paying the first payment to secure my place therefore, I want to know if the university do it or not before the process goes ahead.

Thanks.

Hi @ikraan_123,

Our Alumni Discount is for Greenwich Graduates only, however you can check out our other Bursaries and Scholarships on our website, here: https://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/funding-your-studies/scholarships-and-bursaries

Hope that helps :smile:
Tara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending