sofia.cattani
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey there,
I'd like to apply to these universities for these courses
LSE and Oxford - ppe
University of Edimburgh- politics and philosophy (I'm from Italy and in our school system we don't have the requirement for economics)
St andrews - international relations and philosophy
I'm still thinking about the fifth one (maybe kings college, I accept suggestions if you have).

LSE wants me to write equally about the three subjects, I'm not sure about oxford but it seems less strict with the ps. Since I'm not applying for economics at st andrews and edinburgh I don't want this to be a disadvantage for my application to them.

Are there successful applicants to these universities that had the same problem, (not necessarily with economics just with one of the three ppe subjects) that can share their experience and how they managed with it?
TheManTheMyth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not a successful applicant for these subjects specifically but I had a similar issue because I applied for both PPL (philosophy, politics and law) and law and was also a bit worried. The best thing to do is to find topics which overlap, maybe something in political economy or something that crosses with philosophy as well (ethics, cost-benefit analysis etc.). There are many more I'm just thinking off the top of my head. There's a book called 'What money can't buy' by Sandel which is on the moral limits of markets for example.

Be careful though, all those unis are quite strict with personal statements and if not done carefully they will see through it straight away that you are applying for multiple different courses. Maybe think about having some better back up choices as St Andrews and Edinburgh are also difficult to get into.
username4408806
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For your 5th choice, you can do PPE at Durham University.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of TSR advice/info here about applying for PPE - focuses mostly on Oxford PPE but also has useful general info about other Unis : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni.../ppe-at-oxford

PPE is hugely competitive and a useful 5th choice might be a two-subject combo such as Politics/Economics, Philosophy/Politics etc - examples here from Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/study/undergraduate/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (336)
83.79%
No (65)
16.21%

Watched Threads