The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlightlySummer
Really? You think most Muslims agree with her hating publicly on someone being homosexual? I don't think so :u:

In the UK, probably not. In Islamic countries, probably, and far, far worse.

It's not 'illegal' to be homosexual, as long as one doesn't act on it. You don't choose your sexual orientation, so why would it be 'illegal'

Because religion has nothing to do with logic.

Separating 'being' and 'acting on it' is daft - an act that harms no one should not be illegal. The fact that some are enraged by something that harms no one, and they don't even see, indicates an insufficient intelligence to indoctrination ratio. They should be more concerned about the cruelty of their slaughter methods than there being too much love in the world ..
Totally agree.

For example, here is a non-Muslim man in a frock talking homophobic ****e.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/26/pregnant-women-anal-sex-makes-babies-gay-bishop/
:facepalm: The lack of knowledge and science they have is amusing. I don’t know how to respond to this other than to laugh
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Totally agree.

For example, here is a non-Muslim man in a frock talking homophobic shite.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/07/26/pregnant-women-anal-sex-makes-babies-gay-bishop/
Really? You think most Muslims agree with her hating publicly on someone being homosexual? I don't think so

surely you've seen the notorious "52% of british muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal" statistic. that's more than half of british muslims that believe gay people shouldn't have the same rights the majority group does. more than half is a significant amount of a population, so i wouldn't object too much to the use/allusion of the word "most" in this case.
Really? You think most Muslims agree with her hating publicly on someone being homosexual? I don't think so :u:

It's not 'illegal' to be homosexual, as long as one doesn't act on it. You don't choose your sexual orientation, so why would it be 'illegal'

Try flipping it around."Its not illegal for men to be straight, so long as they don't have sex with a woman or display any romantic affection whatsoever".See why that's wrong? If a man is not free to express his love for a woman then is there any point in having those feelings?

In practical terms it means absolutely nothing.Its just a subtle way for people to be homophobic.Saying your feelings aren't illegal but you must never ever express them is implicitly homophobic.
Agreed. Both the Bible and Quran contain their nice bits, but contradict them by spewing hatred elsewhere. IMO, Islam is the major religion where its followers practice the most hatred and abuse of human rights. Many Muslims are decent people and reject the nasty bits of Islam, but a huge number don't.
Religion is all logic, otherwise no one would have a religion, but that's your opinion so you're allowed to believe it
Original post by RogerOxon
In the UK, probably not. In Islamic countries, probably, and far, far worse.

Because religion has nothing to do with logic.

Separating 'being' and 'acting on it' is daft - an act that harms no one should not be illegal. The fact that some are enraged by something that harms no one, and they don't even see, indicates an insufficient intelligence to indoctrination ratio. They should be more concerned about the cruelty of their slaughter methods than there being too much love in the world ..
The sample sizes for those are biased, I highly doubt they asked a diverse population sample, or every single British Muslim
Original post by killua.
surely you've seen the notorious "52% of british muslims believe homosexuality should be illegal" statistic. that's more than half of british muslims that believe gay people shouldn't have the same rights the majority group does. more than half is a significant amount of a population, so i wouldn't object too much to the use/allusion of the word "most" in this case.

You dont choose your sexual orientation and acting on it harms noone so why would it be 'illegal'
Religion is all logic, otherwise no one would have a religion, but that's your opinion so you're allowed to believe it

It is illogical to believe something incredible without evidence. To have the certainty that many do, without evidence?

Explain why religion is logical. Why are there so many, that are mutually incompatible?
I don't believe that homosexuality is illegal btw
Original post by CoolCavy
You dont choose your sexual orientation and acting on it harms noone so why would it be 'illegal'

Hence why they're separate religions. People can believe what they want to believe, without enforcing it on others
It is illogical to believe something incredible without evidence. To have the certainty that many do, without evidence, is just plain nuts.

Explain why religion is logical. Why are there so many, that are mutually incompatible?
Part of liberal values are also her right to freely express her opinion, it is not "harassment. If she believes strongly in something then she should stand up for it. Also "prude" doesn't make sense in this context.

That 's like saying it's not 'illegal' to be Muslim, as long as one imbibes alcohol on a regular basis and refrains from praying.
The sample sizes for those are biased, I highly doubt they asked a diverse population sample, or every single British Muslim

The sample size was 1000.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

this is a suitable sample size
Both books can certainly be twisted to either suit good or evil intentions. A lot of Christians bring disrepute to the name of Christ too
Agreed. Both the Bible and Quran are vile. They both contain their nice bits, but contradict them by spewing hatred elsewhere. IMO, Islam is the major religion where its followers practice the most hatred and abuse of human rights. Many Muslims are decent people and reject the nasty bits of Islam, but a huge number don't.
I don't believe that homosexuality is illegal btw

Hence why they're separate religions. People can believe what they want to believe, without enforcing it on others

You cant 'believe' its illegal or not when it factually isnt in this country.
My point was why is having feelings for the same sex ok but acting on it isnt when it harms nobody, if religion is based on logic as you say then please provide the logical answer for that.
Imagine if someone said to you that you could like the opposite sex but you could never marry them, kiss them or have a family with them and in worse cases would be put to death for doing any of those acts. imagine the needless strife that would cause you.
Original post by C.Goodyear
Part of liberal values are also her right to freely express her opinion, it is not "harassment. If she believes strongly in something then she should stand up for it. Also "prude" doesn't make sense in this context.

I think the point was that if she wants to express her religion freely i.e wearing religious garments then she hasnt got a leg to stand on to protest against people expressing their right to be themselves.
You cant expect tolerance whilst protesting intolerance
that must have been unpleasant for that person:frown:
Waltham Forest Pride: Police probe 'homophobic abuse' video https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49147605

Video in link.

I’d like to think that one day she’ll understand that the liberal values that allow her to freely practice her religion are the very same that allow people to celebrate pride without being harassed.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Why are we acting like all non-religious people love homosexuals? You have tried to paint this as a muslim issue when many more people, regardless of religion, don't like homosexuality.

What the woman did was wrong, but we need to be honest with ourselves. We are not all loving and accepting of everyone.
Waltham Forest Pride: Police probe 'homophobic abuse' video https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49147605

Video in link.

I’d like to think that one day she’ll understand that the liberal values that allow her to freely practice her religion are the very same that allow people to celebrate pride without being harassed.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Why did you use little and black in the title?

Latest

Trending

Trending