Woman wearing a niqab gets angry at gay pride Watch

This discussion is closed.
killua.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
The sample sizes for those are biased, I highly doubt they asked a diverse population sample, or every single British Muslim
how would you know? they didn't publish the research methods anywhere. and of course they didn't ask every single british muslim, that is impractical and unnecessary for research. the most we have about the research methods is this from the guardian article which would suggest otherwise:

"ICM conducted face-to-face, at-home interviews with a representative sample of 1,000 Muslims across the UK between 25 April and 31 May 2015. A control sample of 1,008 people representative of the country as a whole were interviewed over the phone to provide a comparison."

albeit that's not too detailed, but "representative" and "across the uk" suggests that they did use a diverse sample. 1000 is a decently sized sample. anybody can tell you that the research isn't perfect, but all things considered, the data derived is pretty much reliable.

that's beside the point anyway. never actually read this article until now so it's new information to me that of the 48% that wasn't against gay rights, only 18% were in support of it. definitely concerning, and it's okay to acknowledge that there is this issue. denying a group of people of their rights is the first step. things like abuse in the streets and much worse follow. the cost is too great for people to keep ignoring and glossing over it
Last edited by killua.; 3 weeks ago
res ipsa loq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
Why are we acting like all non-religious people love homosexuals? You have tried to paint this as a muslim issue when many more people, regardless of religion, don't like homosexuality.

What the woman did was wrong, but we need to be honest with ourselves. We are not all loving and accepting of everyone.
i think we ALL know even non religious people don't accept homosexuals. i don't know why you're getting hurt over this when her religion clearly plays a huge part in this.
res ipsa loq
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Why did you use little and black in the title?
because she is covered in black clothing head to toe?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by res ipsa loq)
i think we ALL know even non religious people don't accept homosexuals. i don't know why you're getting hurt over this when her religion clearly plays a huge part in this.
That is not true. If a non-religious person is homophobic and a religious person is homophobic, then how can you conclude that religion plays a part in one homophobia and nothing in the other?

I don't think her religion may have played a part in her homophobia. It is an unnecessary generalisation, since you have clearly stated that even non-religious people are also homophobic.
naem071
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's unreasonable to expect every single person in British society to accept homosexuality. However, we can expect everyone to show tolerance. She clearly doesn't agree with homosexuality, indeed many Muslims and religious folk may not, but that doesn't change the fact that the LGBT community have the right to exist in our society just as she does. Forced acceptance doesn't bode well (just look at the daily reaction of right-wingers), but every single person should be taught the principles of equality in law and tolerance. Only from tolerance can we see greater dialogue and greater social acceptance.
res ipsa loq
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That is not true. If a non-religious person is homophobic and a religious person is homophobic, then how can you conclude that religion plays a part in one homophobia and nothing in the other?

I don't think her religion may have played a part in her homophobia. It is an unnecessary generalisation, since you have clearly stated that even non-religious people are also homophobic.
are you kidding me? no its not a generalisation. i'm not sure if you actually understand how severe homosexuality is in islam. i think i know what happens in my own community. for gods sake she even went on about adam and eve.

so explain why is she homophobic then?
-Quava-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This woman is representing Islam and the burqa and she is screaming down a street abusive comments? Our people are corrupted.
May Allah guide us. Ameen.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
are you kidding me? no its not a generalisation. i'm not sure if you actually understand how severe homosexuality is in islam. i think i know what happens in my own community. for gods sake she even went on about adam and eve.

so explain why is she homophobic then?
I never said that she was not homophobic. You should read my post again. I said that her religion did not form the basis of her homophobia. She is just a bigoted person.

If her religion or religion in general was the cause of the homophobia, then all non-religious people would be loving and accepting of homosexuals. We know this is not then case.

My point is that, if some non-religious people don't like homosexuals and are regarded as homophobic bigots without any regard to a religious complex; then we should point the fingers as the woman’s religion?
username4750714
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I never said that she was not homophobic. You should read my post again. I said that her religion did not form the basis of her homophobia. She is just a bigoted person.

If her religion or religion in general was the cause of the homophobia, then all non-religious people would be loving and accepting of homosexuals. We know this is not then case.

My point is that, if some non-religious people don't like homosexuals and are regarded as homophobic bigots without any regard to a religious complex; then we should point the fingers as the woman’s religion?
She was literally walking down the street shouting about Adam and eve.Its not a generalisation to say it was about religion.Of course you know that anyway.
killua.
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
religion isn't the sole cause, but it is a significant one. not to make the thread sound like a broken record but if she was talking about adam and eve, then surely we can deduce that the reason for her hatred is due to her religion?
res ipsa loq
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

i understand the point you're making and yes she is a bigot but often when we are brought up in a religion we search for what our religion says about certain issues and then we take on the SAME views because we wish to obey god. fyi i really don't care what she believes in but if muslims try and impose their sharia law into a western country or shout abuse as she did then yes it is right to point to her religion. she is a bigot but she adopts these views because her religion is important to her.

i was a religious muslim for a very long time and i would always seek knowledge on certain issues to see what islam said about it and then i would also take this view. this isn't abnormal in islam because in islam you have to accept every view as its a religion of all time.

the main reason why non religious people aren't accepting of homosexuals is just a matter of social change and it takes years for opinions to shift. most non religious people think homosexual acts are "ew" or "odd" so it isn't deeply rooted its just a matter of shifting these views and making them more educated that being gay isn't a choice.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
because she is covered in black clothing head to toe?
BBC didnt seem to think it needed the embellishment. Is there a chance of confusion with large pink niqabs?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by James2312)
She was literally walking down the street shouting about Adam and eve.Its not a generalisation to say it was about religion.Of course you know that anyway.
I am just pointing out the discrepancy.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by killua.)
religion isn't the sole cause, but it is a significant one. not to make the thread sound like a broken record but if she was talking about adam and eve, then surely we can deduce that the reason for her hatred is due to her religion?
We don't know that but we are jumping to unnecessary conclusion.

If an Atheist said that Homosexuality is wrong and the UK was made for man and women. Should we conclude that British people are homophobes or the UK is the reason for his homophobia? Of course not.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i understand the point you're making and yes she is a bigot but often when we are brought up in a religion we search for what our religion says about certain issues and then we take on the SAME views because we wish to obey god. fyi i really don't care what she believes in but if muslims try and impose their sharia law into a western country or shout abuse as she did then yes it is right to point to her religion. she is a bigot but she adopts these views because her religion is important to her.

i was a religious muslim for a very long time and i would always seek knowledge on certain issues to see what islam said about it and then i would also take this view. this isn't abnormal in islam because in islam you have to accept every view as its a religion of all time.

the main reason why non religious people aren't accepting of homosexuals is just a matter of social change and it takes years for opinions to shift. most non religious people think homosexual acts are "ew" or "odd" so it isn't deeply rooted its just a matter of shifting these views and making them more educated that being gay isn't a choice.
Again, you are jumping to conclusions. You don't know the woman nor do you know her background. You have picked a visible appearance and jumped to conclusion.

Most homophobes don't think homosexual acts are “ew” or “odd”. How old are you? Are you a kid? I have spoken to homophobes who believe that homosexuality is the reason for lots of diseases and they say many hateful things that I cannot repeat on here. They have no religious leaning and are just generally horrible people.

I will repeat my point again. Someone can be homophobic and don't need to be push down to their religion. If religion was the cause, the absence of religion should be the solution. However, that is not the case in practice.
res ipsa loq
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Again, you are jumping to conclusions. You don't know the woman nor do you know her background. You have picked a visible appearance and jumped to conclusion.

Most homophobes don't think homosexual acts are “ew” or “odd”. How old are you? Are you a kid? I have spoken to homophobes who believe that homosexuality is the reason for lots of diseases and they say many hateful things that I cannot repeat on here. They have no religious leaning and are just generally horrible people.

I will repeat my point again. Someone can be homophobic and don't need to be push down to their religion. If religion was the cause, the absence of religion should be the solution. However, that is not the case in practice.
ok so explain why she mentioned adam and eve?

you're being really defensive right now and yes some people are against homosexuals because they find the acts disgusting and because of stds or whatever.

so are you suggesting her religion had absolutely nothing to do with this?
Last edited by res ipsa loq; 3 weeks ago
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean it’s not new it looks silly
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
coward
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
nasty fascist woman. shame on her.
Stop using the f word because its becoming completely meaningless.
C.Goodyear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I think the point was that if she wants to express her religion freely i.e wearing religious garments then she hasnt got a leg to stand on to protest against people expressing their right to be themselves.
You cant expect tolerance whilst protesting intolerance
She was not protesting against their rights of expression she was protesting because she believes homosexuality is wrong. I don't see any inherent contradiction from her and I respect the rights of both of them. She probably just genuinely believes that homosexuality is wrong or damaging so she should express what she believes in.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.24%
Worried (264)
18.75%
Terrified (328)
23.3%
Meh (113)
8.03%
Confused (33)
2.34%