The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
As opposed to those who've watched a smidge of fox news and consider themselves experts on the matter?

I believe you just aptly described all religion...

People who watch Fox news are generally experts on nothing.

The people nobody should ever listen to in order to get an independent and rational view of a religion are its leaders, priests and apologists.
Original post by Napp
I'm not sure if you're, as they say, 'sealioning' or if you really no nothing about catholic teachings on the matter?

I find that term to be rather silly. If something is so blatantly obvious and easy to prove then simply providing some proof isn't difficult.

Original post by Napp
The church is crystal clear when it says all acts of homosexuality are an affront to divine scripture. Never mind that in the old testament the good lord obliterated two cities due to it. Either way if you've never even taken the time to read the book or even have a cursory familiarity with catholic teachings i imagine this conversation will be a bit too expositional for you.

The argument isn't over whether homosexuality is against scripture, I wouldn't argue over whether the official line of Catholicism is that homosexual acts are sinful. The argument is over whether Catholics are taught to hate homosexuality. You can believe that something is wrong but not hate the people who do that thing, that's exactly what tolerance is.

Original post by Napp
So being able to read is "arrogant" is it? :rolleyes: Very droll.

No, what I said was assuming that you know more about the Catholic religion than practising Catholics is arrogant, I didn't mention anything about reading.
Reply 622
Original post by Good bloke
People who watch Fox news are generally experts on nothing.
The people nobody should ever listen to in order to get an independent and rational view of a religion are its leaders, priests and apologists.

Touche
Reply 623
Original post by Underscore__
I find that term to be rather silly. If something is so blatantly obvious and easy to prove then simply providing some proof isn't difficult.

Of course you do. However, I am not about to copy and paste every bit of scripture to you which all good Christians are meant to abide by. Suffice it to say go read Leviticus and Romans.

The argument isn't over whether homosexuality is against scripture, I wouldn't argue over whether the official line of Catholicism is that homosexual acts are sinful. The argument is over whether Catholics are taught to hate homosexuality. You can believe that something is wrong but not hate the people who do that thing, that's exactly what tolerance is.

No the argument is about the religions and by extension the churches position and as i have said the bible is quite clear on the matter and thus so is the church.
There is no argument over whether Catholics are "taught to hate" as i have never made any claim one way or the other on that.

No, what I said was assuming that you know more about the Catholic religion than practising Catholics is arrogant, I didn't mention anything about reading.

to address this point i would refer you to Goodblokes comment a couple up from this. I don't care what you claim to be that doesnt make you an expert on the matter. Either way it isnt exactly rocket science to know that the churches salient argument is do as it says in the book and the book says gays are bad.

Equally this resource - one of the first results to pop up on google i might add - is quite clear in its opinion https://www.catholic.com/tract/homosexuality
(edited 4 years ago)
He didn't ask you for an opinion on a religion. He asked for an opinion on what he had written.

Let us not play that game. We both know it was a question on Islam.
Being Moslem does not mean you are knowledgeable about Islam, it just means you have succumbed to the childhood indoctrination and have believed what you were told. We have seen many instances of Moslems who have been ignorant of what the Koran says, or what Mohammed did and said.

As for Islamic scholars, they are merely spin doctors for their sect and can agree on nothing. If you put a dozen in a room together they would be able to give you thirteen opinions on Islam.

Not all Muslims become Muslims as children, so choose Islam as adults. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions right now and it is, I think, among adults.

Islamic scholars have studied the subject for a decent amount of time and can be regarded as an expert. Just like how you go to a Psychologist to understand mental health, you go to an Imam or Islamic scholar to understand Islamic teaching.
Original post by Napp
Of course you do. However, I am not about to copy and paste every bit of scripture to you which all good Christians are meant to abide by. Suffice it to say go read Leviticus and Romans.

No the argument is about the religions and by extension the churches position and as i have said the bible is quite clear on the matter and thus so is the church.
There is no argument over whether Catholics are "taught to hate" as i have never made any claim one way or the other on that.

to address this point i would refer you to Goodblokes comment a couple up from this. I don't care what you claim to be that doesnt make you an expert on the matter. Either way it isnt exactly rocket science to know that the churches salient argument is do as it says in the book and the book says gays are bad.

Equally this resource - one of the first results to pop up on google i might add - is quite clear in its opinion https://www.catholic.com/tract/homosexuality

You said that they are 'doctrinally obliged to hate homosexuals' which is very clearly wrong. They are certainly told that homosexual activity is sinful and I haven't contended. What you're yet to provide any support for is your opinion that Catholics are obliged to hate homosexuals. As I said, you can think something is wrong without hating those who do it. Rather than trying to point to things that say homosexuality is wrong, provide evidence to support your claim that Catholics are taught to hate homosexuals.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Let us not play that game. We both know it was a question on Islam.

Not all Muslims become Muslims as children, so choose Islam as adults. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions right now and it is, I think, among adults.

Islamic scholars have studied the subject for a decent amount of time and can be regarded as an expert. Just like how you go to a Psychologist to understand mental health, you go to an Imam or Islamic scholar to understand Islamic teaching.

1. I know it was a question about what he had written, as is clear from the wording. You just continue making up your own interpretations.

2. You sound more and more like a Moslem every time you post. Now you are espousing the Eat excrement; zillions of flies must know what is good for our health! argument.

3. You regard whoever you like as an expert and ignore their obvious agenda or expertise shortfalls, by all means. Don't expect sensible people to follow your lead. For myself, I would not go to a psychologist to understand mental health. I would go to one to understand human behaviour. I would see a psychiatrist if I doubted my mental health. I would not go to an imam if I wanted the truth about Islam.
1. I know it was a question about what he had written, as is clear from the wording. You just continue making up your own interpretations.

2. You sound more and more like a Moslem every time you post. Now you are espousing the Eat excrement; zillions of flies must know what is good for our health! argument.

3. You regard whoever you like as an expert and ignore their obvious agenda or expertise shortfalls, by all means. Don't expect sensible people to follow your lead. For myself, I would not go to a psychologist to understand mental health. I would go to one to understand human behaviour. I would see a psychiatrist if I doubted my mental health. I would not go to an imam if I wanted the truth about Islam.

1. Ok

2. I am not a Muslim. You cannot continue to accuse me of being a Muslim when I have said I wasn't. If I was, why would I deny it? It makes no sense.

3. By your logic, everyone who is an expert on a subject is a spin doctor. So the climate change scientists are spin doctors for the environment, doctors are spin doctors for science and other people are spin doctors for their professions.
3. By your logic, everyone who is an expert on a subject is a spin doctor.

Are they? Do astrophysicists commonly try to get the man in the street to study their subject and seek to get people to study it in preference to social sciences or literature? Is an army of metallurgists going around the country knocking on doors and giving away the latest edition of Cast Metal and Diecasting Times?

You aren't a logician, are you?
Are they? Do astrophysicists commonly try to get the man in the street to study their subject and seek to get people to study it in preference to social sciences or literature? Is an army of metallurgists going around the country knocking on doors and giving away the latest edition of Cast Metal and Diecasting Times?

You aren't a logician, are you?

There are Islamic scholars that just study Islam and don't go around trying to spread Islam. You are conflating scholars with Imams or clerics. For example, there are Centres for Islamic Studies where scholars study theology, history, language and context of Islam. It is the same with Judaism and other ancient religions.
There are Islamic scholars that just study Islam and don't go around trying to spread Islam. You are conflating scholars with Imams or clerics. For example, there are Centres for Islamic Studies where scholars study theology, history, language and context of Islam. It is the same with Judaism and other ancient religions.

Still coming over as a Moslem.
She can shove her vile opinions up her ****, hopefully a lesbian will sit on her face
Still coming over as a Moslem.

I am not Muslim. Why would I deny the religion, but still defend it?

You have asked some questions, allow me to ask you some in return?

Be honest:

1. Do you hate Islam?
2. Do you want Muslims to be wiped out from the earth?
3. Which religion do you think is the most dangerous and a threat to the world?
4. Would you want your worst enemy to be Muslim?
5. Do you consider Jews to be a threat to society?
6. Would you marry a practising Jew or Muslim?
7. Do you think Muslims and Jews have a right to free religious expression?
I am not Muslim. Why would I deny the religion, but still defend it?

You have asked some questions, allow me to ask you some in return?

Be honest:

1. Do you hate Islam? I strongly dislike it. I hate aspects of it.
2. Do you want Muslims to be wiped out from the earth? No.
3. Which religion do you think is the most dangerous and a threat to the world? Islam. No other religion has adherents seeking to spread it by force and to take control of territory.
4. Would you want your worst enemy to be Muslim? I don't want anyone to be a Moslem.
5. Do you consider Jews to be a threat to society? No.
6. Would you marry a practising Jew or Muslim? No, nor a Christian, Hindu or Buddhist. Too much superstition for the relationship to be permanently successful at close quarters.
7. Do you think Muslims and Jews have a right to free religious expression? Yes, as long as it affects nobody else, as with any other religion.

Your questions are not very exacting. See above.
Your questions are not very exacting. See above.

Thanks for your response. You have confirmed my suspicion that you are an Islamophobe.
Thanks for your response. You have confirmed my suspicion that you are an Islamophobe.

Did I not, myself, tell you that yesterday? I criticise Islam; that makes me an Islamophobe. I embrace it.

However, I do realise that you see the word as an insult and that you mean it as a censure. I wonder, therefore, what aspect of my answers leads you to make the judgement you have.

Did I not, myself, tell you that yesterday? I criticise Islam; that makes me an Islamophobe. I embrace it.

However, I do realise that you see the word as an insult and that you mean it as a censure. I wonder, therefore, what aspect of my answers leads you to make the judgement you have?

However, I do realise that you see the word as an insult and that you mean it as a censure. I wonder, therefore, what aspect of my answers leads you to make the judgement you have.

However, I do realise that you see the word as an insult and that you mean it as a censure. I wonder, therefore, what aspect of my answers leads you to make the judgement you have?

The fact that you see Islam as a threat and the most dangerous religion in the world. Also that you wont want your worst enemy to be Muslim.
The fact that you see Islam as a threat and the most dangerous religion in the world. Also that you wont want your worst enemy to be Muslim.

So presumably you feel I descended into hatred and vitriol against Islam?
So presumably you feel I descended into hatred and vitriol against Islam?

Apparently he can't say because he's not Muslim

Latest

Trending

Trending