username4890812
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm currently on a work placement within a small business (boss+2 other part time employees). It's going well and I really want it to turn into preferably a part time job or an apprenticeship. However, the business isn't looking to take on anybody. For this reason I am thinking that maybe it would be more likely that they would keep me on as an apprentice- as they only have to pay an apprentice wage rather that . minimum wage. Is it ok to be asking an employer for a job? How do I go about it without looking ungrateful for the experience? What are the benefits that the employer would gain by taking on an apprentice? Do I try and sell the idea to them? Help please!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi

I've moved this thread to our "advice on applying for a job" sub-forum, as you're likely to get more useful replies here.

It's great you're enjoying your work experience. Do be aware that for such a small firm, expanding will be a lot of work, and may not be possible/worthwhile for them right now. However, there's no harm in asking.

As an apprentice, you'd have to have links with a college. Are you at college at the moment, or could you find a local one? Talking to them might be a good step, and then if the business owner is keen, they may be able to advise them further.

You could also let the employer know that there are grants available for any business taking on an apprentice, which could help mitigate the costs for the business.

However, if the business owner doesn't feel able to offer you an apprenticeship at this time, you could also try:

-Asking your employer if they know anyone with a similar business who is looking to take on staff/apprentices.
-Asking your employer if they will bear you in mind for any vacancies that come up in the future.
-Asking at local colleges to see if they know of any similar firms looking to take on an apprentice.
username4890812
Rep:
?
Thanks. I currently at college due to go back and finish the 2nd year of my course in September. But I've had enough of conventional studying and I need to have get a job\apprenership so I don't have to go back.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I've moved this thread to our "advice on applying for a job" sub-forum, as you're likely to get more useful replies here.

It's great you're enjoying your work experience. Do be aware that for such a small firm, expanding will be a lot of work, and may not be possible/worthwhile for them right now. However, there's no harm in asking.

As an apprentice, you'd have to have links with a college. Are you at college at the moment, or could you find a local one? Talking to them might be a good step, and then if the business owner is keen, they may be able to advise them further.

You could also let the employer know that there are grants available for any business taking on an apprentice, which could help mitigate the costs for the business.

However, if the business owner doesn't feel able to offer you an apprenticeship at this time, you could also try:

-Asking your employer if they know anyone with a similar business who is looking to take on staff/apprentices.
-Asking your employer if they will bear you in mind for any vacancies that come up in the future.
-Asking at local colleges to see if they know of any similar firms looking to take on an apprentice.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LaurenTillyRaven)
Thanks. I currently at college due to go back and finish the 2nd year of my course in September. But I've had enough of conventional studying and I need to have get a job\apprenership so I don't have to go back.
It would definitely be a good idea to talk to your college about apprenticeships, then. I'm sure they will be able to help you find something if it doesn't work out with this employer.

Do be aware that most apprenticeships will involve day release (usually one day a week or one day a fortnight) to college, and you'll still have to be assessed by a college assessor.
username4890812
Rep:
?
Thanks.
I know that apprenticeships still involve college and studying, but it's a different type of learning that I think I need.
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It would definitely be a good idea to talk to your college about apprenticeships, then. I'm sure they will be able to help you find something if it doesn't work out with this employer.

Do be aware that most apprenticeships will involve day release (usually one day a week or one day a fortnight) to college, and you'll still have to be assessed by a college assessor.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by LaurenTillyRaven)
Thanks.
I know that apprenticeships still involve college and studying, but it's a different type of learning that I think I need.
That's fair enough. I'm sure your college will be able to help you out!
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username4890812)
I'm currently on a work placement within a small business (boss+2 other part time employees). It's going well and I really want it to turn into preferably a part time job or an apprenticeship. However, the business isn't looking to take on anybody. For this reason I am thinking that maybe it would be more likely that they would keep me on as an apprentice- as they only have to pay an apprentice wage rather that . minimum wage. Is it ok to be asking an employer for a job? How do I go about it without looking ungrateful for the experience? What are the benefits that the employer would gain by taking on an apprentice? Do I try and sell the idea to them? Help please!
It's absolutely fine to ask them about a job with them, if they don't have anything, to ask if they can help you search or give you advice, to ask them if they'd consider taking you on as an apprentice etc.

For a company to take on an apprentice isn't as straightforward as just hiring someone and saying 'your an apprentice, your contract is different, go to College one day a week'. They have to research and partner up with a training provider (because they won't be one) and see if there is a local college that can provide the apprenticeship, do the college teaching, and then send you back to them for the work element. There's a lot of admin for the business.

But these are all conversations you can legitimately have with them. Just be clear in explaining why you'd rather change to learning on the job, rather than entirely at College.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (176)
9.88%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.87%

Watched Threads