The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

PPE Choices

Hi everyone!
I'll be starting Year 13 in about a month and want to figure out my UCAS Application stuff.
I want to apply for PPE at LSE, Oxford and Edinburgh but don't know what other unis to consider. I've paid most attention to offer rates and saw that Exeter, Manchester, King's, Durham etc have between 80% and 90% offer rates but I am worried that my entry requirements will be too high and would like some Bs in my offers just in case.
Can you recommend some unis with decent reputation for a degree in PPE with an AAB or ABB because I can't seem to find any?
Thanks
Original post by marcodc
Hi everyone!
I'll be starting Year 13 in about a month and want to figure out my UCAS Application stuff.
I want to apply for PPE at LSE, Oxford and Edinburgh but don't know what other unis to consider. I've paid most attention to offer rates and saw that Exeter, Manchester, King's, Durham etc have between 80% and 90% offer rates but I am worried that my entry requirements will be too high and would like some Bs in my offers just in case.
Can you recommend some unis with decent reputation for a degree in PPE with an AAB or ABB because I can't seem to find any?
Thanks

PPE is not a super common degree, and it tends not to be offered by mid-tariff unis.

It's likely you'll have to either consider joint honours degrees such as politics and economics, or go for unis likely to ask for AAA.

I would guess that some of the unis on your list- e.g. Exeter, Manchester- let people in with AAB in reality on results day, so could still be useful as an insurance choice.
Lancaster ask for AAB (plus a minimum grade 6 in GCSE maths)

Royal Holloway want AAB/ABB (plus grade 7 in GCSE maths)

Sussex are AAA-AAB, UEA are ABB
I didn't know that Edinburgh offered PPE(?).
TSR advice about PPE here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/ppe-at-oxford - it focuses on Oxford but includes general useful advice about PPE.

Also, look at courses that combine two disciplines - Economics/Politics, Philosophy/Politics etc etc - these are offered by many more Unis than PPE. One example is Bristol - strong on both Economics and Politics : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/politics-international-relations/
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
TSR advice about PPE here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/student/ppe-at-oxford - it focuses on Oxford but includes general useful advice about PPE.

Also, look at courses that combine two disciplines - Economics/Politics, Philosophy/Politics etc etc - these are offered by many more Unis than PPE. One example is Bristol - strong on both Economics and Politics : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/politics-international-relations/

Thank you so much this was very helpful!
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
Lancaster ask for AAB (plus a minimum grade 6 in GCSE maths)

Royal Holloway want AAB/ABB (plus grade 7 in GCSE maths)

Sussex are AAA-AAB, UEA are ABB

Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
PPE is not a super common degree, and it tends not to be offered by mid-tariff unis.

It's likely you'll have to either consider joint honours degrees such as politics and economics, or go for unis likely to ask for AAA.

I would guess that some of the unis on your list- e.g. Exeter, Manchester- let people in with AAB in reality on results day, so could still be useful as an insurance choice.

Thanks! I was trying to avoid applying for two different courses. I figured that applying just to PPE would allow me to write a stronger personal statement but at this point I don't know anymore.

Oh wow, that's great. I wish this existed when I studied at Edinburgh. :fluffy:
Original post by marcodc
Thanks! I was trying to avoid applying for two different courses. I figured that applying just to PPE would allow me to write a stronger personal statement but at this point I don't know anymore.

If you're going for a uni asking for AAB or less, and you've got strong academics, a PS for PPE is unlikely to be a deal breaker- the unis may realize they aren't your first choice BUT in the current climate it's very likely you would get an offer anyway.

FWIW, I do still think Exeter or Manchester could work as an insurance anyway.
Original post by marcodc
Hi everyone!
Thanks

Hii! I recently got into all of my UCAS choices for PPE and my predicted grades are A*AAB, but im lowkey expecting one of the As to be a B ahah. These are my unis and what they asked for: KCL (A*AA), Manchester (AAA), Warwick (A*AA), Southampton (ABB), and Sussex (AAB)
Hope this helps xx