The Student Room Group

Any advice for a failed student?

My goal is to get a physics degree and I had to take a Foundation Year since I am a foreign student with no proper qualifications.
The bad thing is that I passed all modules except one which I failed for just 2 marks and it was my third attempt on that.
The Physics Admissions Tutor told me that I will not be accepted in a physics UG programme unless I pass ALL modules.
Another bad thing is that I already spent 2 years in a Foundation Year.
What do I do know? Most likely I think I'll have to apply for a different Foundation Year in a different university (unless my university will let me re-apply for the same course as a new student through UCAS?), are there any other options for me?
Applying for a different course is not an option, I only want to study physics, nothing else.
Also, will there be trouble with my tuition fee loan?
Original post by Tritonas
My goal is to get a physics degree and I had to take a Foundation Year since I am a foreign student with no proper qualifications.
The bad thing is that I passed all modules except one which I failed for just 2 marks and it was my third attempt on that.
The Physics Admissions Tutor told me that I will not be accepted in a physics UG programme unless I pass ALL modules.
Another bad thing is that I already spent 2 years in a Foundation Year.
What do I do know? Most likely I think I'll have to apply for a different Foundation Year in a different university (unless my university will let me re-apply for the same course as a new student through UCAS?), are there any other options for me?
Applying for a different course is not an option, I only want to study physics, nothing else.
Also, will there be trouble with my tuition fee loan?

So are you an EU student or an international one?
You talk about tuition fee loan, so I assume EU.

Unfortunately you are in a very poor position and made some poor choices.
Its a shame you didnt take advice earlier.

You had no proper qualifications and you have failed the exams three times, which indicates to me you may not be up to studying for a degree.
Had you asked I would have suggested you go to college to study A level or an access course to equip you with the skills and make sure you can reach the correct standard. If you could not then that would indicate you were up to degree level.

I assume your exams went first sit- resit- retake and now they have withdrawn you from the course.
Most people do not fail or do resits.
If you failed by 2 marks then you could always try appealing if you had serious personal or health issues that you can back up with 3rd party supporting evidence from someone like a GP.

Unfortunately if you have been withdrawn you student finance has now used up between 1 and 2 years. It isnt clear how long they made you wait for your 2nd resit. Normally it would be first sit April/ May- resit August- retake April May.

2 years.funding used Degree -1
If that was the case your student finance will have used 2 years up and your funding has gone from degree length +1 to degree length -1.

Any new course will only offer funding after the first year i.e you will have to find the £9,000+ fees yourself for any new degree course.

Had you asked I would have warned you away from access course and onto an access course which doesnt affect your funding in the same way
and had you passed your degree funding would be degree +1. That would have made much more sense.

1 year funding used Degree +0
If you have only used 1 year, then you can find another course with foundation year or find an access course at an FE college. You can start a degree if you persuade them to let you on the course, but you dont appear to have any acceptable qualifications and have shown you have failed uni exams three times. It isnt the easiest sell but a much better chance than the 2 years scenario above. You really shouldnt be swimming round at 37/38% level when good scores are 50-60-70%. I hope for your sake you are in the 1 year situation and not 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending