How to brush up on history of politics/world history?

Watch
ohnoitssophie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so even though I am global politics student (loool) I actually have no idea about politics/world history in general, does anyone have any book/tv/yt recommendations?

I have this book that I bought for one of my modules last year: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Internation...s%2C126&sr=8-2

but I didn't get round to reading it as I was working full-time on top of studying (also it's massive), but now it's the summer I want to get some knowledge on the world before next year starts

if anyone has any recommendations on where to start that'd be great, or would the book linked above be the best place to start?
oswalds
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's such a broad area that it's going to be difficult to find general books that go into a large amount of detail, but ones like the one that you linked are a good place to start. Have a read though and see what interests you from the book and go from there, seeking out more resources about that. Another useful thing to do might be to go into a big Waterstones, like a city centre one, or the website, and have a look through their website. Their books can be hit or miss, some of them are pretty strange in the way that they are written and they aren't the type of thing you would want to cite in a university history essay, but it's a useful way of finding new topics to read about. I have a history degree/am doing an MA and its one of the main ways I introduce myself to new topics, albiet with caution.
ohnoitssophie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by oswalds)
It's such a broad area that it's going to be difficult to find general books that go into a large amount of detail, but ones like the one that you linked are a good place to start. Have a read though and see what interests you from the book and go from there, seeking out more resources about that. Another useful thing to do might be to go into a big Waterstones, like a city centre one, or the website, and have a look through their website. Their books can be hit or miss, some of them are pretty strange in the way that they are written and they aren't the type of thing you would want to cite in a university history essay, but it's a useful way of finding new topics to read about. I have a history degree/am doing an MA and its one of the main ways I introduce myself to new topics, albiet with caution.
thank you so much! one of my friends has also given me a list of programs to watch on different subjects which should help me out too I looove book shops and libraries so I'll definitely take a look around Waterstones as there's a big one around from uni, that's a great idea, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads