Applying for apprenticeship... help! Watch

Balackas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys/girls/others,

For those of you who have applied for an apprenticeship through the gov.uk website I assume like me you will have had the basic questions e.g. what are your strengths, what you want to improve, hobbies and interests etc. which have 4000 character limits. How much did you write for these and what do you think would be considered an average? Do they want you to fill the box or will a paragraph suffice? Don't want to write too much so that I waffle to fill space or too little that it looks like I've not put the effort in.

Also, can you go to University after a Level 3 apprenticeship? Is it equivalent to 3 a-levels?

Thanks!
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow, you are me one year ago. I applied for several apprenticeships on the gov.uk website and managed to get a decent amount of interviews (including exxonmobil and I currently have an apprenticeship at Leonardo) so I think I can help you out here.

Firstly, only write to the extent of what is necessary - no employer wants to write 4000 words of nonsense, if you can summarise your strengths in one paragraph, go for it. (I did around 2-3 small paragraphs per big question).

Secondly - Yes you absolutely can go to uni after a level 3 apprenticeship (depending on the apprenticeship). You can get some apprenticeships that actually fund you to go on to a degree (ask about this in interviews), mine will fund a HNC (engineering) and subsidise a bachelors degree (this is subject to you doing well of course). A lot of uni's also accept BTECs including Nottingham (which is Russell group), you can also go on to do foundation degrees or HNCs if you want to do that before pursuing a higher degree.

If you have any more questions I am happy to help you out.
(Original post by Balackas)
Hi guys/girls/others,

For those of you who have applied for an apprenticeship through the gov.uk website I assume like me you will have had the basic questions e.g. what are your strengths, what you want to improve, hobbies and interests etc. which have 4000 character limits. How much did you write for these and what do you think would be considered an average? Do they want you to fill the box or will a paragraph suffice? Don't want to write too much so that I waffle to fill space or too little that it looks like I've not put the effort in.

Also, can you go to University after a Level 3 apprenticeship? Is it equivalent to 3 a-levels?

Thanks!
Balackas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gerbler)
Wow, you are me one year ago. I applied for several apprenticeships on the gov.uk website and managed to get a decent amount of interviews (including exxonmobil and I currently have an apprenticeship at Leonardo) so I think I can help you out here.

Firstly, only write to the extent of what is necessary - no employer wants to write 4000 words of nonsense, if you can summarise your strengths in one paragraph, go for it. (I did around 2-3 small paragraphs per big question).

Secondly - Yes you absolutely can go to uni after a level 3 apprenticeship (depending on the apprenticeship). You can get some apprenticeships that actually fund you to go on to a degree (ask about this in interviews), mine will fund a HNC (engineering) and subsidise a bachelors degree (this is subject to you doing well of course). A lot of uni's also accept BTECs including Nottingham (which is Russell group), you can also go on to do foundation degrees or HNCs if you want to do that before pursuing a higher degree.

If you have any more questions I am happy to help you out.
That's great help - thank you. Do you know how soon after the closing date they get in touch and will they phone, email or leave something on the gov.uk page? If you don't get selected I take it you just won't hear anything? Thanks!
Hoc est Bellum
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's great help - thank you. Do you know how soon after the closing date they get in touch and will they phone, email or leave something on the gov.uk page? If you don't get selected I take it you just won't hear anything? Thanks!
Due to the date being July-August, I assume most apprenticeships would be closed for September start. Some apprentices decide to drop out before the start of an apprenticeship so don't worry if you don't hear about it straight away, also most companies will have interviews just before their closing date and close applications before they have contacted an applicant.

I'm not sure when each company advertises on the gov.uk website, but I know that it's usually 2-6 months before the start of the actual apprenticeship. If you are worrying about not hearing back, you can always call them or send them an email to check the status of your application.
Balackas
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Due to the date being July-August, I assume most apprenticeships would be closed for September start. Some apprentices decide to drop out before the start of an apprenticeship so don't worry if you don't hear about it straight away, also most companies will have interviews just before their closing date and close applications before they have contacted an applicant.

I'm not sure when each company advertises on the gov.uk website, but I know that it's usually 2-6 months before the start of the actual apprenticeship. If you are worrying about not hearing back, you can always call them or send them an email to check the status of your application.
Great help thank you, I have heard back from them
Hoc est Bellum
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Great help thank you, I have heard back from them
Thats great! I wish you luck.
kizzz!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi, hopefully you can help me too!

I'm applying for a few apprenticeships on the gov.uk website too. Just wondered what the general process is? I understand that the agency/college may contact you via phone after the application for a screening? What does this normally involve? Is it an interview or just a kind of run through of your application etc? Then what does the interview process generally involve?

Grateful for any help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%