How to do a critical discourse analysis (CDA)

Watch this thread
purplesloth11
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am going to be writing my master's dissertation soon and want to complete a CDA in it to analyse political documents such as parliamentary debates alongside documents such as newspaper articles. I am finding it slightly difficult getting my head around how exactly to do this though. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on how to complete a CDA and identify discourses? Or point me towards some useful guides?
Thanks in advance!
InvisibleDuck
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I did a CDA of a policy document for my MA last year. One of the most useful references I used:

Fairclough, N. (2009) 'A dialectical-relational approach to critical discourse analysis in social research,' in Wodak, R. and Meyer, M. (eds), Methods of Critical Discourse Analysis. 2nd edn. London: SAGE. pp. 162-186.

Fairclough lays out a step-by-step process for CDA which I tweaked a bit for my particular needs. If you don't get on with his approach, one of the others in the book might work better for you.

For identifying discourses, the best thing is to familiarise yourself with the prevailing discursive representations of whichever topic or issue you're focusing on, by looking at previous scholarship. Then you know what you're looking for to some extent, and you'll also be more aware when you see things in the documents which *don't* fit neatly into previously-studied discourses.

Fairclough's 'Language and Power' is also a good general text to look at, as is 'Discourse is Data: A Guide for Analysis', edited by Wetherell et al, which if I remember correctly includes an example of Fairclough-style CDA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads