What are your opinions on A level physics, maths and PSYCHOLOGY? Watch

Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, so for uni i wanted to study physics / engineering and ive always loved physics , therefore i was going to study maths,FM and physics at a level. However, im reallly scared about doing further maths and im not sure if im that interestedin it, but i still want to do physics and maths. Recently, I got really interested in psycology and I absolutely love the content, but i'm really bad at essay subjects ( eg english- im more of a maths person). I dont really know what i wanna do at uni anymore, but I wanted to study physics,maths and psycology. (btw i just finished my gcses)
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
degree level physics/engineering makes A level maths & physics feel like nursery or maybe reception/year 1 homework at the most. someone who can't cope with A level further maths shouldn't even bother doing a physics degree because they are guaranteed to drop out

psychology is a pointless subject, do something like chemistry or even economics if you want a softer non-soft subject
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
Hi, so for uni i wanted to study physics / engineering and ive always loved physics , therefore i was going to study maths,FM and physics at a level. However, im reallly scared about doing further maths and im not sure if im that interestedin it, but i still want to do physics and maths. Recently, I got really interested in psycology and I absolutely love the content, but i'm really bad at essay subjects ( eg english- im more of a maths person). I dont really know what i wanna do at uni anymore, but I wanted to study physics,maths and psycology. (btw i just finished my gcses)
lemmens
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!! I’m currently in year 12 and going into year 13 studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

If physics and engineering are what you want to pursue, perhaps further maths would be a good option, particularly if you’re thinking of applying to places like Oxbridge. Further is my favourite subject, it’s so interesting and I absolutely love it!! That being said, it is very challenging and requires quite a lot of hard work, so do only take it if you really really enjoy mathematics.

Maths is a great subject, and although quite difficult, the step up from GCSE isn’t too overwhelming or large in my opinion. Physics will compliment this really well and I’m sure you’ll enjoy them both!!

A-levels are hard, so it’s important you study what you’re genuinely interested in and passionate about. Maths and physics are definitely enough to study physics or engineering, although further maths would be helpful. So if you have any specific questions about any of those a-levels, I’d be more than happy to help where I can

And my three friends that study psychology absolutely love it, it’s their favourite subject!! Maybe you’ll really enjoy it and decide to study that at uni. These three a-levels will keep your options open, and are well respected whatever you decide to do.
Nicole14510
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
To add to what others are saying, if you do not enjoy maths enough to study FM, then consider whether you would enjoy physics at degree level. It is a very maths-heavy subject, so you would really have to love the maths too.
megga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! i've just applied for engineering doing maths, physics and geography and found hardly any require/ask for further maths (i can't speak for physics but it would probably help with that but there will definitely be some unis that don't need it.)
these would be my suggestions (but please ask at college because i'm sure it's different what you can do everywhere)
1-start with all 4, then drop one, at my college you could drop a subject until the end of first year when they have to register you for the exams - most people dropped down to 3 by christmas because the workload is so much more than gcse, and this means you could drop psychology if you hated the essay part or drop FM if it's too difficult (this might not be an option though as most colleges do alevel content in the first year and
FM in the second year, and if they do let you drop it you could find it boring bc you've done it before or helpful as a refresher in second year- depends how you see it. as well as this, you can talk about it on your personal statement when applying for uni.
2-do 3- this is a more manageable workload and if you are scared of FM/psyc essays it gives you more time in the day to work on it. although, bear in mind if you start on 3 you can't drop a subject even though you might be able to change subject for a short amount at the start of the year. if you do maths/physics/psyc and are strong at maths, ASFM might be offered (its a separate qualification with its own exams) in second year.
if you end up changing your mind about uni, any of your subject choices are strong as whatever you chose you're doing at least 2 STEM subjects which is required for a lot (most) of sciencey courses, it's okay not to know what you want to do yet! i only picked my uni course in the summer between y12 and 13, if you're still unsure it helps going to open days- they're usually september/june maybe it'd be worth going to one! good luck!
Geodesic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If your college allows it, it might be a good idea to start with Maths, FM, Physics and Psychology, especially if you feel you're bad at essay subjects as you have said, then decide which one to continue with and which one to drop, or do all four if you enjoy all of them? For physics and engineering FM would be quite useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (8)
61.54%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
23.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
15.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed