Vegan vets?!?

Watch
Tori20023
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey
I just want to know peoples opinion on this topic. Why do people believe that vets have to be vegan/vegitarian?
Personally, i think eating meat is normal. Animals eat other animals, like people eat animal. The problem lies with the amout we eat which is very unsustainable and how the animals are treated. As for vets they believe in animal welfare, basically providing an animal with a good and healthy life they deserve. Of course as humans we are animals and it is okay to eat meat but the life an animal lives before its death should be natural and not full of torture as well as the death it must be a humane death without torture (like halal).
I just want to know why people are againts non vegan vet and think they're horrible people that dont care for animals (eventhough they chose to dedicate their life to a career that helps animal).
Tori20023
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yeah it is. People think non vegan vets dont love animal. Its ridiculous.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The notion that it's common for people to think that vets should be vegan seems to be completely made up.

I'm sure vets love animals and care about their welfare, I just personally think it's odd to directly fund an industry that exploits animals and unnecessarily kills them if you are in the position not to.

Yes, animal eating is fairly common in the animal kingdom. Not sure of how this is relevant.

While it is of course true that animals do eat other animals all the time in nature, basing our own ethics, as humans, on the actions of animals, can lead us to all sorts of problems. If we can justify something solely on the basis that animals do it, then we can justify the following: urinating in people's front gardens (dogs do it); sexually penetrating females without their consent (lions do it); smothering our babies to death (lions also do it); vomiting on people's food (flies do it); and so on. People only seem to be interested in justifying human behaviour on one thing that animals do, and that's eating animals.

I agree that people eat too much meat and this is unsustainable.

The words 'humane' and 'slaughter' put together, are what is known in the English language as an oxymoron, i.e. 2 words that contradict each other when put together. To use the term 'humane slaughter' is as nonsensical as to say 'humane rape', 'humane slavery', or 'humane holocaust'—regarding the latter point, some synonyms for 'slaughter' in the dictionary are 'bloodbath', 'massacre', and 'holocaust'... given that it does not make sense to use the term humane for any of those 3 words, neither can it make sense to say it for the word those synonyms derive from.

Ask yourself this question: is there a nice way to kill someone who doesn't want to die? Given that animals want to live, and value their lives as we value ours, there is no nice way to kill them.

In any case, anyone looking at the methods we use to kill farmed animals can see for themselves that it's not 'humane'. Whether the animal is stunned with a bolt gun or prongs, or whether it's by gas chamber, or whether they are killed via the Halal/Schechita method, these are not exactly methods we would use to euthanise even someone who did want to die.
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve never heard anyone say this, I’m not sure as to whether this is legit
JJ_1994
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm a committed vegan, and while having a strong passion for science I believe that humans do not need to eat meat anymore as we can sustain ourselves off an entirely plant based diet. Killing animals for food is primitive and instinctual for some species that are not as intelligent as humans, therefore we can choose which diet to consume based on ethics and morality. This is something animals cannot comprehend; I believe humans were placed on Earth to protect the animals and its climate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads