The Student Room Group

Passed first year but want to repeat the year

Hey all. I've just checked my results after worrying all summer i had failed. Turns out i passed and managed to fulfill the progression requirements. Thing is though i barely studied and dont feel confident with the knowledge i have now to help me succeed in year 2 so would much rather repeat if possible. The degree subject was also completely new to me fyi.

So if anyone knows if its possible or not, please let me know. Any advice will be appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Same but I you couldn’t always try harder next year x
I really don’t think you should start all over again. Study more for the coming year and focus rather than wasting a year when you’ve already passed it.
Just use the summer to go over the first year content. Universities will not allow a repeat year if you passed unless there’s exceptional circumstances (and that would need to be approved at the exam board meetings which will usually have happened by now)
Original post by tonythewangFR
Hey all. I've just checked my results after worrying all summer i had failed. Turns out i passed and managed to fulfill the progression requirements. Thing is though i barely studied and dont feel confident with the knowledge i have now to help me succeed in year 2 so would much rather repeat if possible. The degree subject was also completely new to me fyi.

So if anyone knows if its possible or not, please let me know. Any advice will be appreciated

Hello!

What I would suggest aside from revisiting the information from last year is to also contact your university about possible mentors or study help.

At Liverpool Hope we offer mentoring so if there are any students in a situation the same or similar to yours then we can help them with their studies and I'm sure your university will offer the same.

Best of luck for the following year :smile:

Patrick :lep:
Reply 5
Just revise first year topics in your spare time. It would be a waste of money to redo a year if you passed.
Also, despite thinking you don’t know the topics you clearly knew enough considering you passed in the first place...
It would be really unusual for a uni to allow this- and probably a waste of your time/money- so put that as an option out of your mind.

You've got the summer to go over your content from first year, and next year if there's anything you're really struggling with, I'm sure your lectures will be able to support you if you go to them and say something like "I struggled with this content last year and didn't fully understand it then- what can I do to prepare for this year's module?"

Imo yes, but only by quitting your degree and starting a new one, possibly elsewhere.
First year results count for very little, but you seem to have some poor study habits and poor understanding of your subject which might catch up with you in year 2. If you are going to do it then do it now and dont start year 2.

If you want to do it at the same uni then you need to ask and its up to them. Dont be surprised if they say no.

What were your grades btw or percentages?
I note im the only one who suggests it is possible and may be a viable choice. It depends.
(edited 4 years ago)
I wouldnt personally. You only get one gift year for retakes from SFE and first year doesnt count anyway. Just use summer to go over the material
Reply 9
Original post by CoolCavy
I wouldnt personally. You only get one gift year for retakes from SFE and first year doesnt count anyway. Just use summer to go over the material

And I believe that gift year cannot be used at a standard you have already passed...

I have been in a similar situation where I passed my first year only through retaking a couple of modules in the summer, and even that was just about. I didn't do exceptionally well in the rest of them either. I had considered retaking the year as my friend had done the same thing after completely failing his first year, and did a lot better simply through getting used to what was expected at university and getting his head down. The option wasn't really available to me however as, one, I had passed and, two, I didn't think it would have been a wise move for me to find a new university at that late stage. I now regret this, as I really felt like a fish out of water. My father had told me to even consider not joining in the first place as I had only just got the A level grades. I failed my second year and I now understand that it can be easier to start at a higher point to the requirements than a lower. Saying that, of course I regret other things even more, such as not trying harder, and not trying harder again during my retakes (this one especially), and then again during second year (although a lot of damage was already done, things could have been turned around). I felt as if the small fish in a big pond scenario could have helped me develop into a bigger fish.

Don't be so demotivated by my alternative example though. I began a new course at a new uni, and excelled in a small pond as a more experienced fish, which has indeed helped me develop into a big fish as I have just secured a grad job. Who knows now what would have happened if I quit earlier. Maybe I would have failed somewhere else. Or maybe I would have done better earlier.

I would say definitely go with the plan to improve over the summer (a month really!). Focus on going over the core modules, and building up key skills that are required for your course. Whether you want to look at the option of resitting at your current uni or elsewhere, you can research by speaking to your university and others. And seeing where you get to. But make it a plan, and set yourself the challenge of sticking to it. If you don't end up feeling as if you are at a good level, then I would question studying further. Yes resitting could be waste of time, as you do have the great opportunity (a month) to work your socks off to be in shape at the starting blocks for the counted portion of the course. But wasting second year could be even worse.

I know you pretty much already know that. And you are right in how you feel. You just have to prove yourself wrong.

You can't resit unless it's extenuating circumstances and this is more difficult especially after you've taken an exam. What's done is done you should use the rest of the summer to go over what you've learned so far as it will help with second year. Just use this experience to work harder next year to get the result you want!

First year is a joke mate, don’t need to learn anything. Just study in second.
At most universities first year doesn't count, or does not count much, towards your final classification. So the main issue is just, making sure you are comfortable with the content of the first year, at least as much as is used in latter years of the course. You don't need to repeat the year to do this, you just need to actually take responsibility for your own learning to study the material over the summer and during second year as and when necessary and possible.

University isn't like school; generally you can't retake things endlessly to try and get a better grade, and you are the one who is responsible for your learning and you need to be an active participant in that. Simply going to lectures and doing coursework etc, is not enough. However, universities are generally aware there is a shift from school to university level working, hence as above the first year usually doesn't count much if at all towards you final classification. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your approach to your work and develop strategies to improve that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending