Do I have social anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I feel like there are alot of signs that I do have social anxiety but I dont want label it that, because if it's not then that might just devalue the experience someone actually with it is going through. A couple of the main reasons I think I might include when ever I go out with my friends I will actively and consciously avoid speaking to anyone I dont already know, the other day we went out and I bought people chips from the local fish and chips, but I had to give it to my friend and ask him to go into the shop and order it. Like usual I played it up as a joke to my friends. Of course I'm horrifically socially awkward and I feel like people are watching me constantly and judging me, but I think alot of people feel that way, right? There are some other things but i cant remember alot of them. A bigger one that made me realise i might have a problem was from a couple nights ago, i was talking to one of my closest friends about something else and he was telling me that he thinks I should see a doctor but i refused, after some back and forth I realised I wouldn't because I'd rather potentially become ill rather than possibly waste a doctors time. This is when I thought it might be a problem as previously it effected my personal life, as it made it harder for me to come out to my family, and I only have a few people in my life that I feel comfortable talking to about anything, but now I realise it's at the point where it could potentially damage my health.
Sorry if this is too long, I havnt done this before, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Luckystars500
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lots of people do get anxious in life, however there is a point for some people where it can stop them from living normally. This is when help should be seeked for a happier, healthier life. If you would like my advice, I would recommend getting some help. Help doesn't need to be from a doctor, it can be regular talks from family and friends, or maybe a help app that can speak through some of your anxieties, I personally find woebot is good. There's also helplines available to talk or email, like childline or time to talk which are completely confidential but will help you out without a doctor having to find out. However speaking to a doctor means they can refer you to cbt group or individual therapy sessions and prescribe some anxiety medication to help deal with some symptoms. It's your choice how you go about treating it, but if you don't you may never be able to order fish and chips yourself. Best of luck to you
Eat-sleep-repeat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly, don't feel bad that your anxiety may be less bad than others, mild/moderate anxiety exists and is every bit as valid. Secondly, do you feel like it affects your ability to live or enjoy your life? If it's making you unhappy then it's definitely something that needs to be addressed. But honestly, the absolute best advice I can give is to see a therapist and see what they say, it's the best way to know for sure and you can start working on ways to overcome it. Mental health services can be slow, but it'll definitely pay off in the long run. In the meantime, you could try visiting r/socialanxiety for more info, it's full of people discussing the effects of and recovering from SAD, so it's a great way to find people who relate and feel less alone. I really hope this helps and I wish you the best!
Last edited by Eat-sleep-repeat; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Luckystars500)
Lots of people do get anxious in life, however there is a point for some people where it can stop them from living normally. This is when help should be seeked for a happier, healthier life. If you would like my advice, I would recommend getting some help. Help doesn't need to be from a doctor, it can be regular talks from family and friends, or maybe a help app that can speak through some of your anxieties, I personally find woebot is good. There's also helplines available to talk or email, like childline or time to talk which are completely confidential but will help you out without a doctor having to find out. However speaking to a doctor means they can refer you to cbt group or individual therapy sessions and prescribe some anxiety medication to help deal with some symptoms. It's your choice how you go about treating it, but if you don't you may never be able to order fish and chips yourself. Best of luck to you
I've been trying out Woebot, and I've been using it for about 30 mins. I'm planning on continuing to use this. Thank you for showing me this, hopefully, this will help me gradually. Whenever I would be very stressed or having some sort of episode I would talk to me closest friend and vent. It felt good having someone to share this with, but neither of us are therapists or psychiatrists so there was little we could do other than give our own opinion. While I think I will still talk him sometimes, hopefully Woebot will help with the more everyday lows. It already has shown me a type of meditation which previously I wouldn't have tried. Hopefully one day I'll speak to a professional, but the college I'm going to soon, does have people you can talk to about these kind of things, so maybe I will get around to talking to someone properly. Then maybe I can get those chips myself
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Eat-sleep-repeat)
Firstly, don't feel bad that your anxiety may be less bad than others, mild/moderate anxiety exists and is every bit as valid. Secondly, do you feel like it affects your ability to live or enjoy your life? If it's making you unhappy then it's definitely something that needs to be addressed. But honestly, the absolute best advice I can give is to see a therapist and see what they say, it's the best way to know for sure and you can start working on ways to overcome it. Mental health services can be slow, but it'll definitely pay off in the long run. In the meantime, you could try visiting r/socialanxiety for more info, it's full of people discussing the effects of and recovering from SAD, so it's a great way to find people who relate and feel less alone. I really hope this helps and I wish you the best!
Thank you for your reply. Not until writing out my first post had I realy thought of how it is affecting my life and happiness. I'm currently waiting for my GCSE results, but once I'm in college, they have people you can talk to there, and I will aim to talk to them, and see what they think I need, whether that will lead to a therapist or some kind of treatment I dont know, but it's better than nothing. Thank you for making me feel like it's okay to talk to someone, as that has probably been my biggest challenge and setback, my greatest anxiety is being a burden on people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads