The Student Room Group

HELPP many issues at work

Hiya
I’m working at a company let’s call it X. So I work by my self for around 7 hours per shift with out any breaks and managers do not reply when I have any issues :frown:
There’s also a mouse infestation in the shop I work at and this is a food shop, the owner and manager all know this but don’t do anything about it. We’re still forced to work when it’s super hot without a fan and sometimes there are a few small metal pieces in the food so I don’t really think any of the items are alright to eat. I feel really bad every time I sell one to anyone . at the end of the night we’re told to throw the rest of the food in the bins and are at risk of getting fired if we give any to the homeless.

Not sure how much of this is normal or if I’m overreacting but I’d appreciate any piece of advice
I’ve been looking for a job for quite a long time but can’t find one. Even if I leave this company I’ll feel bad about the company selling food like that because someone will probably get really sick one day.
Thank you if you read all of this
Kind regards

A worker
I made a new account so my managers don’t know who it is and can’t fire me:tongue:
Reply 2
The mice/metal problem should be reported and can be done via this link - but be prepared to be out of work if the place is closed down (as it should be, from the sound of things :s-smilie:).

https://www.food.gov.uk/contactconsumersreport-problem/report-poor-hygiene-practices

I don't know if you will get very far with genuine complaints if it's just a small staff and no managers outside of the premises, but 'Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.' This is from:

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

There is no maximum working temperature as there would have to be lots of caveats for places where the temps are naturally high, eg steel works.

There are various schools of thought on feeding the homeless; there are charities that discourage it as it encourages people to stay on the streets and makes any money they are given available potentially to spend on drink and drugs rather than food. Also, if food hasn't been kept under hygenic conditions and you're giving it to people who might not eat it straight away, in this weather you're not doing them any favours.

Good luck getting it sorted out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending