username4355882
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
I don't think animals have rights.

if you own it, you can treat it almost however you like because it's your property. so if you want to kill your cats and feed it to your dog, go ahead. or if you want to do circus acts on your bear for entertainment, go ahead.

if you kill someone elses animal, you should give them yours

if your animal killed their animal, you should sell your animal and split the money between yourselves.

if your animal kills a person, you should kill the animal.

reason: Bible
At first, I was like "Ha! Sarcasm"

But then I read the following posts and now I'm just confused. Are you continuing the joke or are you serious? If you are serious. I guess kudos for not being afraid to say what most people think. However, please for the sake of all, don't ever own a pet. And I hope to the God (you worship and I don't believe in) that you learn better in near future :sigh:
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by batter mix)
At first, I was like "Ha! Sarcasm"

But then I read the following posts and now I'm just confused. Are you continuing the joke or are you serious? If you are serious. I guess kudos for not being afraid to say what most people think. However, please for the sake of all, don't ever own a pet. And I hope to the God (you worship and I don't believe in) that you learn better in near future :sigh:
I am serious

just because I said that doesn't mean I encourage that. if I'm not going to torture my dog just for fun because I can. I don't want to torture/kill animals for no reason. the Bible teaches that the righteous man cares for his animals.

i'm just saying if someone else wants to be doing that, they can go ahead and do so and it shouldn't be illegal. but I wouldn't do it.
Tori20023
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've been told. none taken. like I said, because it's your property, same way you could break your phone for no reason. I see someone pointed out a flaw in my argument though when it comes to slavery and ownership of people, I however don't think that's the same since humans are a lot more important than an animal are are not something to be mistreated like some were in 19th century America.

I don't think that's the same because children are humans and animals are not. I don't think children are a parents property.
okay but you do know that humans are animals. Right? So saying that animals are less important than humans eventhough humans are animals doesnt make sense. Why do you think humans are so superior and have the right to own other creatures.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tori20023)
okay but you do know that humans are animals. Right? So saying that animals are less important than humans eventhough humans are animals doesnt make sense. Why do you think humans are so superior and have the right to own other creatures.
I don't agree with that. the Bible teaches that humans are far more important than animals. and that humans are to have dominion over all the animals, it also presents animal as property in the Bible.
liam.ro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
We really just need to take care of the life that this planet has to offer, animals clearly inclusive.
Tori20023
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
what, to you, is the difference?
https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/...nimal-welfare/
Theres a link if you want to know the difference in more detail. Basically animal rights is where people should leave animals alone and not interfere with their life however animal welfare is helping animals have a better life and trying to co exist peacefully. I believe in welfare as well as certain aspects of animal rights (like we should experiment on animals) however i believe as humans weve had to much negative impact on animals therefore we should help them rather then let them fend for themselves in a world dominated by civilisation and people were animals dont stand a chance.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tori20023)
https://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/...nimal-welfare/
Theres a link if you want to know the difference in more detail. Basically animal rights is where people should leave animals alone and not interfere with their life however animal welfare is helping animals have a better life and trying to co exist peacefully. I believe in welfare as well as certain aspects of animal rights (like we should experiment on animals) however i believe as humans weve had to much negative impact on animals therefore we should help them rather then let them fend for themselves in a world dominated by civilisation and people were animals dont stand a chance.
thanks
Tori20023
Rep:
?
i dont know whats in the Bible as im not religious. How can it be okay to kill another creature that has its own mind and deserves to be treated with respect. Animals are living creatures like humans and shouldnt be treated like objects. I really disagree with this as i cannot imagine a normal person thinking it is okay to kill another creature for no reaason.
Tori20023
Rep:
?
your welcome
FutureZoologist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I believe that eating and using animals is part of the natural circle of life - (thus I am not vegan) - however, we should minimise all suffering to ensure quick death and no suffering during life. This is why I strongly oppose factory farms, I believe all farm animals should be properly free range and grass-fed, left to their own devices as much as possible. I believe dairy cows should not have their calves taken away (1/3 of their milk thus being used to feed the calves).
Zoos should only be used for conservation housing only endangered species and should have massive spaces recreating as much as possible the animal’s native habitat with enrichment etc.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FutureZoologist)
I believe that eating and using animals is part of the natural circle of life - (thus I am not vegan)
I agree, although I'm not sure why this would imply a person is a non-vegan
JessBlaker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't think animals have rights.

if you own it, you can treat it almost however you like because it's your property. so if you want to kill your cats and feed it to your dog, go ahead. or if you want to do circus acts on your bear for entertainment, go ahead.

if you kill someone elses animal, you should give them yours

if your animal killed their animal, you should sell your animal and split the money between yourselves.

if your animal kills a person, you should kill the animal.

reason: Bible
If you really believe this then you're a pretty bad person
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JessBlaker)
If you really believe this then you're a pretty bad person
I disagree but okay.🙂
Last edited by Leviathan1611; 2 months ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not sure that snimals have rights but I do think that we have relatively strong obligations toward them.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
true, except they're humans, and have a lot more worth than an animal, so I don't think you could treat any human however you like just because they're your property.
That's begging the question. The idea that humans have more inherent worth than animals is essentially what we're attempting to support or refute here - we should not just assume that it is the case. Why do you think humans are inherently worth more, or more worthy, than other animals?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FutureZoologist)
I believe that eating and using animals is part of the natural circle of life - (thus I am not vegan) - however, we should minimise all suffering to ensure quick death and no suffering during life. This is why I strongly oppose factory farms, I believe all farm animals should be properly free range and grass-fed, left to their own devices as much as possible. I believe dairy cows should not have their calves taken away (1/3 of their milk thus being used to feed the calves).
Zoos should only be used for conservation housing only endangered species and should have massive spaces recreating as much as possible the animal’s native habitat with enrichment etc.
Dying horribly of smallpox is also part of the natural circle of human life. We avoid doing that, but continue to consume animal products, purely because one is more convenient and delicious than the other; naturalness doesn't really factor into it.
pinesandapples2001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
why should that be the question?🙂
I've been told. none taken. like I said, because it's your property, same way you could break your phone for no reason. I see someone pointed out a flaw in my argument though when it comes to slavery and ownership of people, I however don't think that's the same since humans are a lot more important than an animal are are not something to be mistreated like some were in 19th century America.

I don't think that's the same because children are humans and animals are not. I don't think children are a parents property.
Why are humans more important?

Anyway, I advice you to read Sapiens, it's a super interesting read on the history of mankind. Also, I would look at a few YouTube videos of Yuval Noah Harari it's interesting and informative, and could give you a lot of insights and explanations to why a lot of people are vegan.This goes to everyone reading this
FutureZoologist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Dying horribly of smallpox is also part of the natural circle of human life. We avoid doing that, but continue to consume animal products, purely because one is more convenient and delicious than the other; naturalness doesn't really factor into it.
Dying of a disease goes against our survival... of course we would want to eliminate it from our ‘natural circle’ as it goes against the survival of our species.
Eating animals/using animal products enhances our lives. You can’t compare a disease to eating meat, they are two very different things.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
That's begging the question. The idea that humans have more inherent worth than animals is essentially what we're attempting to support or refute here - we should not just assume that it is the case. Why do you think humans are inherently worth more, or more worthy, than other animals?
the because that's what the Bible teaches. a human is worth more than an animal.
Last edited by Leviathan1611; 2 months ago
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pinesandapples2001)
Why are humans more important?

Anyway, I advice you to read Sapiens, it's a super interesting read on the history of mankind. Also, I would look at a few YouTube videos of Yuval Noah Harari it's interesting and informative, and could give you a lot of insights and explanations to why a lot of people are vegan.This goes to everyone reading this
because that's what the Bible teaches. a human is more important than an animal.

I understand why people are vegan. my friend is one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads