Apprenticeship Watch

Tazbo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi Guys,

I'm 38 father of 2 and was wondering how much time a part time apprenticeship takes from home life? I am looking at doing a 4 year apprenticeship and it is 1 day a week in uni the rest is all work based. I currently work in IT and only have 2 A-levels to my name, I want to make myself more employable and learn more so this opportunity came along. It allows me to stay in my current job, so I won't have to take a pay cut whilst doing a degree in Digital & Technology Solutions.

Would love your feedback.

Thank you

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/apprenticeshi...ogy-solutions/
Last edited by Tazbo; 3 weeks ago
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tazbo)
Hi Guys,

I'm 38 father of 2 and was wondering how much time a part time apprenticeship takes from home life? I am looking at doing a 4 year apprenticeship and it is 1 day a week in uni the rest is all work based. I currently work in IT and only have 2 A-levels to my name, I want to make myself more employable and learn more so this opportunity came along. It allows me to stay in my current job, so I won't have to take a pay cut whilst doing a degree in Digital & Technology Solutions.

Thank you

This sounds like a good idea, not many people are willing to get back into education at 30+ with kids, this will definitely be something that can prove determination and commitment in an interview. Furthermore, a degree will boost your career and pay.

This is not to say however that it won't be detrimental to your family life, it will obviously take up time and the pay cut may result in you living on a tight budget with little-no outings for a while.

But in the long run, this will pay off. When you get a high paying job with your degree, you will be able to treat your kids more as well as helping them out with going to uni or whatever you choose to spend your money on.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tazbo)
Hi Guys,

Thank you

Currently 21 and doing an Engineering Apprenticeship. From my experience, I will take some time out of your home life, especially the assignments you'll have to complete to meet the course. Of course, this depends on what level of qualification you're doing. But overall its worth it and whatever time you need to set aside for course requirements will pay off in the end.

Good Luck I hope this was helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%