How much time Watch

Tazbo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi Guys,

I'm 38 father of 2 and was wondering how much time a part time apprenticeship takes from home life? I am looking at doing a 4 year apprenticeship and it is 1 day a week in uni the rest is all work based. I currently work in IT and only have 2 A-levels to my name, I want to make myself more employable and learn more so this opportunity came along. It allows me to stay in my current job, so I won't have to take a pay cut whilst doing a degree in Digital & Technology Solutions.

Would love your feedback.

Thank you
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tazbo)
Hi Guys,

I'm 38 father of 2 and was wondering how much time a part time apprenticeship takes from home life? I am looking at doing a 4 year apprenticeship and it is 1 day a week in uni the rest is all work based. I currently work in IT and only have 2 A-levels to my name, I want to make myself more employable and learn more so this opportunity came along. It allows me to stay in my current job, so I won't have to take a pay cut whilst doing a degree in Digital & Technology Solutions.

Thank you
Hi, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

A part-time apprenticeship is a minimum of 16 hours, I believe - I don't know what the maximum would be, but I'd assume around 30 hours!
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Tazbo)
Hi Guys,

Thank you
Hi there,

Apologies you've not had many responses but hopefully this isn't too late.

There will be quite a bit to juggle on a part time apprenticeship, even if your physical 'in the office hours' are less than a full time role. I think the university aspect will take up a considerable amount of your time, however you should have more time to fit this around work given your shorter working hours.

When you say you're keeping your current job, does that mean you'll be working 2 jobs, essentially? I think that might be a lot on your plate, but you know your ability to handle it better than I do

(For a bit of context, I'm an engineering apprentice but not studying for a degree, only a HNC, but on a full time apprenticeship. There's a lot to balance and the workload can be peaks and troughs i.e. college assignments, NVQ/apprenticeship qualification deadlines and work deadlines all at once but it can definitely be done!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%