Is BA Politics w/ Business Management good for a Human Resources career

Watch
Balenciagas
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is BA Politics with Business Management at Queen Mary a good degree for a Human Resource and or diplomacy career?

It is not CIPD accredited for Human Resource, would this be a problem for employers?.
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Why dont you do an actual HR degree if you want to work in HR?
Most if not all HR jobs ask for you to have your CIPD level 5. Some even ask for level 7.
So yes, it will matter if you dont have it
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Balenciagas)
Is BA Politics with Business Management at Queen Mary a good degree for a Human Resource and or diplomacy career?

It is not CIPD accredited for Human Resource, would this be a problem for employers?.
The straight Business Management course at QMUL would be a better bet since at least it allows you to pick more modules in Human Resources. Another option would be to do a Masters in Human Resource Management after your degree, but as Breeee says, why don't you look at degrees that already have an HR component if that is the main career that interests you?
Last edited by harrysbar; 2 years ago
Balenciagas
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
With the BA Politics with Business Management I can choose modules in HRM as well. Unfortunately I do not hold an offer for the straight course to Bsc Business Management, (which is also not CIPD accredited).

I noticed that a lot of Business Management and Human Resources courses at good Uni's are not CIPD accredited, where as most Master degrees are. I'am really stuck right now, I don't see why I should spend 3 years on a course which is not accredited while most HR jobs ask for it.

What should I do?

(Original post by Breeee)
Why dont you do an actual HR degree if you want to work in HR?
Most if not all HR jobs ask for you to have your CIPD level 5. Some even ask for level 7.
So yes, it will matter if you dont have it
(Original post by harrysbar)
The straight Business Management course at QMUL would be a better bet since at least it allows you to pick modules in Human Resources. Another option would be to do a Masters in Human Resource Management after your degree, but as Breeee says, why don't you look at degrees that already have an HR component if that is the main career that interests you?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
With the BA Politics with Business Management I can choose modules in HRM as well. Unfortunately I do not hold an offer for the straight course to Bsc Business Management, (which is also not CIPD accredited).

I noticed that a lot of Business Management and Human Resources courses at good Uni's are not CIPD accredited, where as most Master degrees are. I'am really stuck right now, I don't see why I should spend 3 years on a course which is not accredited while most HR jobs ask for it.

What should I do?
Some of the straight Human Resouce Management BAs are accedited like the one at Leeds Uni, but maybe there are not enough HRM modules on joint degrees to get accreditation. I think you need to do more research into this if you are sure this is the career area you want to go into. Alternatively, lots of people would do a general degree for 3 years but follow it with a CIPD accredited Masters for one further year.
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

What should I do?
Yeah as harrysbar said, there are unis that do it. Im doing it lmao. And i know there are others too. Like i suggested, imo if you want a job in HR, do a degree in HR so you get your cipd. Youre at a major disadvantage if you dont. But thats that my personal opinion, its up to you what you want to do at the end of the day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads