Lostx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it possible to get into uni to study veterinary medicine with ABC A-level grades?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Is it possible to get into uni to study veterinary medicine with ABC A-level grades?
Don't think so.

Do you want to do Vet instead of Med now?
Lostx
Rep:
?
I really have no idea. I am toying with veterinary medicine, working in a residential home, veterinary nurse, working as an artist or working in the mental health field.

I have absolutely no idea. I guess now while I have lots of time I should work out how to find my way around these careers.

I have given up on Medicine now
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a full time carer, as well as a part time artist and I'm starting vet school in October

My first advice is... Don't do art. If you're aiming to sell your own work (rather than work in the industry) you're not gonna earn much. It is extremely hard to get out there and get clients. Majority of my collegues who work full time, earn minimum wage (or less) and work crazy hours!
I've been doing art for years and I still struggle to get clients sometimes. You need to be extremely consistent with promoting your work.

Take a gap year, focus on your mental health, get lots of work experience and depending on what you decide to do, maybe resit your A-levels.
University can be extremely overwhelming, especially if you want to study vet/medicine.
I'm assuming medicine was your first choice?
In this case I would recommend looking for a job as a carer. All entry-level caring jobs train you and you will get a level 3 qualification after a few months (since it's now illegal to work for more than 3 months without it).
Working as a carer would give you some time and space to deal with your own mental health.
You would get a qualification while earning money, and if you decide to resit your A-levels and apply for medicine/nursing next year, you could list that job as a part of the required work experience.
I recommend getting in touch with Home Instead if there is one close to you, as their caring jobs focus more on companionship rather than personal care (It's still a part of the job, but to a lesser extent), which I think would suit you really well at this stage in your life

Saying that, get some work experience at vet practices as well and see how you feel. But don't feel pressured to make a decision now. Your mental health should be your priority so don't be afraid to take some time out of education.
Last edited by Nessie162; 1 year ago
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lostx)
To the standard 5 year course - I'd say not - however gateway programs do exist

RVC have a program for those disadvantaged wanting to get into veterinary - the A level offer is typically CCC but you must meet set criteria:
https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergra...panel-a-levels

Bristol similarly run a degree requiring BBC but criteria again must be met
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...inary-science/

Nottingham run a gateway requiring BBC - criteria must be met, one of the options is being a carer.
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...eway-year.aspx

Competition will obviously be higher for these courses as they take in far fewer applicants than the standard D100 5 year degree, but realistically without going postgrad I would argue these are your best chances to get into veterinary if that is what you wish. I would urge though that you stated you have given up on getting into medicine - it is FAR harder to get into veterinary medicine. There are only 7 UK vet schools (soon to be 8) opposed to around 30 medical schools (which typically take double a vet intake). Similarly you need lots of work experience (some of which is seasonal like lambing) to be considered realistically.
Lostx
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help

I am wondering whether it is possible to become a veterinary nurse with a FdSc qualification or do you need to do a degree?

Also are you allowed to retake A-levels?
Last edited by Lostx; 1 year ago
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lostx)

I am wondering whether it is possible to become a veterinary nurse with a FdSc qualification or do you need to do a degree?

You can be a veterinary nurse by doing a level 3 diploma, you don't have to do a degree. I think the diploma is a better route anyway and you don't have the debt attached to doing it.

Some universities (but not all e.g. Edinburgh, Glasgow) let you retake A levels. You are best looking at their websites for up to date information on this.
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by animalmagic)
You can be a veterinary nurse by doing a level 3 diploma, you don't have to do a degree. I think the diploma is a better route anyway and you don't have the debt attached to doing it.

Some universities (but not all e.g. Edinburgh, Glasgow) let you retake A levels. You are best looking at their websites for up to date information on this.
Ok, so I’m a bit confused. If I was to complete the FdSc I am qualified to be a vet nurse?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Ok, so I’m a bit confused. If I was to complete the FdSc I am qualified to be a vet nurse?
I'm afraid I don't know what the FdSC is. You can only be a qualified veterinary nurse by doing the level 3 diploma or the veterinary nursing degree. Have a look at this link https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/vet...aining-routes/
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lostx)

Just consider vet nursing and veterinary surgeon are VERY different roles . - If you wanted to be a vet then becoming a nurse will lead to high career dissatisfaction seeing the dream job everyday and not doing it. You'll work just as long hours, less money, admittedly a more caring role as vets tend to see and diagnose whereas nurses maintain animals within the practices care. But consider carefully what you wish to do before signing your life to something you are uncommitted to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.14%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (679)
41.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads