Too scared to open my exam results on a level results day? Watch

alicesmith1628
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am ridiculously stressed for a level results day which is in 16 days. I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless. The only thing I’ve ever been good at is studying and exams. I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me but I know for a fact the stress and pressure got too much to handle and I won’t of done as well as I hoped, plus I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed. I’m terrified to actually open the results, can’t imagine me being able to do it. How do I calm my nerves and get out of the mindset that they’re the be all and end all because right now I am terrified for my mental health come results day, I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m disappointed?! I need help.
Aaryra
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't have much advice for the mental health issues, but possibly consider getting someone else to read it for you? A trusted friend, parent, sibling?
ibyghee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same bro, I randomly get my heart beating so fast just thinking about it. Like I can only imagine how fast my heart will be beating when I reload the webpage to see my results.
lollypenguin
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ibyghee)
Same bro, I randomly get my heart beating so fast just thinking about it. Like I can only imagine how fast my heart will be beating when I reload the webpage to see my results.
this is me 😭 idk whether to check ucas first or my results cause both are gonna make me feel **** if they're bad :/
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by alicesmith1628)
I am ridiculously stressed for a level results day which is in 16 days. I feel as though if I get lower grades than I want I’ll be so worthless. The only thing I’ve ever been good at is studying and exams. I’m awful at everything else- I’m ugly, I’m weird, not very sociable due to anxiety, I’m honestly overall just a mess. Grades are THE only thing I have going for me but I know for a fact the stress and pressure got too much to handle and I won’t of done as well as I hoped, plus I’ve had countless dreams that I’ve failed. I’m terrified to actually open the results, can’t imagine me being able to do it. How do I calm my nerves and get out of the mindset that they’re the be all and end all because right now I am terrified for my mental health come results day, I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m disappointed?! I need help.
I'm the same. My high grades have always been the only thing people know me for, and I feel like if I don't get what I'm hoping for I'll having nothing left going for me any more.

Try get someone else to come with you and open them.

Or, if you're worried about making a uni offer- you might hear news from the university by email before you get your results. This will at least mean the grades you open no longer have much weighting on your future, so you can look at them already knowing if you have your place or not
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 2 weeks ago
LaughterIsMyDrug
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I found it helped listening to my favourite music whilst opening my results - it really calmed my nerves and kept me in a 'happy' state during such a stressful environment
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I found having a list of clearing numbers etc and the courses I liked for various levels of how the grades went really helped with making it slightly less stressful, it meant I already had a plan for if things hadn’t gone well.

I would say try and get a decent night sleep before hand but I was up gaming till 2am so...

Depending on when you can collect your results from your school I found myself looking at ucas regularly from about 7:30 every time I completed a breakfast related task I would have a quick look, (eg drink done, food done etc, meant I wasn’t refreshing my constantly at least) but had the restriction of not looking whilst mum was driving me to the school as that would have been a bad idea I think!

I ended up having ucas update to unconditional just before leaving the house, which obviously made the while results collecting stage way less stressful, so I do think checking ucas can be helpful as if it updates that at least gives you an idea what to expect, although if it doesn’t update that doesn’t mean anything.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LaughterIsMyDrug)
I found it helped listening to my favourite music whilst opening my results - it really calmed my nerves and kept me in a 'happy' state during such a stressful environment
That seems reasonable indeed to calm yourself while opening them.

Although be aware that it could ruin the song for you. If your results are horrific and you miss your uni offer, your brain may forever associate that song with missing your grades
AmmarTa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
That seems reasonable indeed to calm yourself while opening them.

Although be aware that it could ruin the song for you. If your results are horrific and you miss your uni offer, your brain may forever associate that song with missing your grades
On the flip side, if they're good then listening to that song will associate it with success, alleviation of success, and a sense of accomplishment!
Nousername2431
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m waiting for my year 13 results so I know it’s Easier said than done but there is no need to make yourself ill over them. Being nervous and stressed is normal but there is no need for ridiculous amounts of it. Just think, they’re not the end of the world and whatever is written in those envelopes won’t change now because you’re stressing. You’ve got to brace yourself and get it over with. Good luck
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So i f'd up one of my A-levels and both my firm & insurance rejected me. Got to uni in clearing.

After getting to Uni the worst way possible, i had a great undergrad time & couldn't be happier where i ended up. After completing my degree i applied for masters and got accepted into every uni I applied to: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton. Chose one of these Unis and am now about to start a PhD.

A-level results day is 1 set of grades, hopefully you've got what u want, however if it doesn't, you can still progress onto whatever you want to in your future goals if you have the drive.

Good luck

A-level results day was one of my worst days, but Uni has still been the time of my life despite not going to my intended target (and yes I felt a great deal of embarrassment after missing my A-levels but now 5 years later, I couldn't give a **** anymore)
Last edited by mnot; 2 weeks ago
jbrdodd
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm bricking mine tbh, because I've been wanting to be a teacher for past 5 years, so if I don't manage to get into university I'm screwed
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jbrdodd)
I'm bricking mine tbh, because I've been wanting to be a teacher for past 5 years, so if I don't manage to get into university I'm screwed
Whatever your results there is always another way to achieve what you want.Definitely not worth making yourself ill over it.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you told your parents how you are feeling.Do you think they would be supportive?I am sure you would feel better if you could tell someone how you feel.Have you thought about talking to your GP as you seem to be quite anxious and your self esteem is quite low.Maybe you would benefit from some therapy or medication.
kkllookkkk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m having panic attacks and start to feel hot when I think about them , esp about edexcel maths
YlandDylan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
CBD Oil is cheap and I hear it works wonders on anxiety and stress.
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
same. except I'm not even good at studying or exams either😭😭😭😭

like the Nike brands says "Just do it"
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's good that you raised this issue, as obviously lots of people can relate! You've had lots of lovely supportive advice so I can't add to that really. Just wanted to say for all of you that are feeling ultra nervous of results day, it's not the end of the world even if your results are disappointing. Your Firm or Insurance uni may still accept you, and there will be loads of good unis in Clearing this year. Also, there will be lots of support from TSR on the day, so please try and remember that you won't be on your own and there will be people to help you if needed.
XHannahR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m getting my gcse results on the 22nd and I’ve also had dreams where I’ve failed..honestly, there’s nothing you can do about what happened in those exams and stressing won’t help. Try to do some activity to get your mind off it and talk to a parent (venting out really helps) All the best of luck!! You’ll do amazing!☺️
FutureZoologist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kkllookkkk)
I’m having panic attacks and start to feel hot when I think about them , esp about edexcel maths
Edexcel maths was a **** show. They really screwed us over. I’m so worried for my maths results where as before I thought maths would go well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads