Too scared to open my exam results on a level results day? Watch

Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can give the sheet of results to a parent or a trusted friend if you find yourself genuinely too frozen to crack them open on the day.

The main thing to remember is that if you're applying for uni they often take students that miss the offer. Mine was an AAB, I got BBD and miraculously still got accepted into my first choice. If you get into uni, your A level grades become entirely irrelevant. Literally the only times I bring them up nowadays irl is to make self depreciating jokes.

if you don't get into uni, there's always resits and things, and you can make plan B, C and D now to ease the pressure off a bit. If you never plan on going to uni/decide not to, they quickly become irrelevant in most working contexts.

In conclusion: It'll feel bad at the time for sure and it's normal to be nervous, but if they go bad it is not world ending.
(Original post by Bulletzone)
Trust me, you'll look back on the day and realise how much you over-hyped it.

I've lost my A-level results and certificates tbh.
I went out with some mates the night my school gave the official certificates to us and they're still sat in some lad's flat I got hammered in to this very day.
_victoria
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
You can give the sheet of results to a parent or a trusted friend if you find yourself genuinely too frozen to crack them open on the day.

The main thing to remember is that if you're applying for uni they often take students that miss the offer. Mine was an AAB, I got BBD and miraculously still got accepted into my first choice. If you get into uni, your A level grades become entirely irrelevant. Literally the only times I bring them up nowadays irl is to make self depreciating jokes.

if you don't get into uni, there's always resits and things, and you can make plan B, C and D now to ease the pressure off a bit. If you never plan on going to uni/decide not to, they quickly become irrelevant in most working contexts.

In conclusion: It'll feel bad at the time for sure and it's normal to be nervous, but if they go bad it is not world ending.
I went out with some mates the night my school gave the official certificates to us and they're still sat in some lad's flat I got hammered in to this very day.
What year did you get accepted ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by _victoria)
What year did you get accepted ?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

What uni, what course?
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
What uni, what course?
Why am I being interrogated now? Philosophy at Uni of Glasgow
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why am I being interrogated now? Philosophy at Uni of Glasgow
Nope, i'm just curious tbh.
richageorge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DR.DOOM)
The reason why it puts us at a disadvantage is because those who got the leaked papers knew the questions and answers to paper 3 had they paid the money to see the whole thing. Edexcel claims its going to remove "compromised questions" yet the whole paper was leaked so those who managed to get the copy online knew all the answers which will give them a grade that will end up being far out of the standard deviation's mean test scores for the country since grade boundaries will be really low due to paper 1 and 2 being too difficult (from what my friends doing maths told me). So if you're taking, for example, psychology (like I did) then we sat our test fairly but what isn't fair is that some people taking EDexcel A-level maths got paper 3 as it leaked. If I get a B in psychology on results day and that guy who got the leaked paper gets an A or A*, the effect is apparent.

This will go on to affect university placements and applications. Since some of us have a conditional offer, I may be rejected from my first choice because I got AAB when I needed to get AAA whereas that individual taking maths got AAA by way of cheating, then the effect is still apparent.
loooool grade boundaries are set for each separate paper, maths grade boundaries will have no effect on psych.
if u get a B in psychology then thats because u got a B in psychology.

and as for unis, if u got AAB instead of AAA, chances are u will most likely still get in as most unis are okay with one grade below unless its a top top uni like imperial but even then u might still get in.
if someone needed to cheat to get an A in maths , i doubt they would be capable of getting A's in their other subjects.

bottom line is you're in no way disadvantaged if u dont even take maths lmao
rollandrock
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bulletzone)
Trust me, you'll look back on the day and realise how much you over-hyped it.

I've lost my A-level results and certificates tbh.
Haha me too! Once you've moved on to other things, literally no one cares about your school grades.
rollandrock
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm probably older than nearly everyone else on this thread. I messed up two of my A levels - one of which I needed an A in (before A*s were introduced) for my degree offer. I was lucky that my uni accepted me anyway, but several of my friends went through clearing and are all doing really well now. As lots of people have said, A levels are not the be-all and end-all.

That said, I'm sure you will do super well, but do try and get some support with your mental state because it doesn't sound healthy.

Sending you lots of good vibes.
Agiwghthtwtbey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DR.DOOM)
I don't know if anyone can relate to me but I don't really feel any stress on opening my results mainly because of the fact that I revised non stop day and night all of year 13. I took every single class test seriously, I took mocks really seriously (which I got A*, B, C on) and all of this hard work I put in doesn't make me stressed about it at all. Of course, I had breaks but I just don't feel stressed about opening my results because of the effort. If you didn't revise for your exams (as in only revising the night before the exam) then you should be stressed but if you put in a lot of work for them then you shouldn't be.

Also, stop surrounding yourself with trashy people who keep posting idiotic/unfunny memes about how they're going to fail or people that just keep being pessimistic about their exams. This is known as the Availability Heuristic where the common thought of something appears as if it will happen when it won't or is extremely unlikely to occur.

However, to those doing Edexcel maths, I really don't know what to say. Your exam board is an utter disgrace to the whole country as it also put us people who don't do maths at a disadvantage as well. I'm sure you won't fail because grade boundaries should be really low. What they did is an incredibly illogical move
Quick question - what happened with the edexcel maths papers and why does it put people who haven’t done maths as a disadvantage? I know the papers were leaked and they held the results of 78 students but how does that affect people who haven’t sat maths?
ajmartin8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just know that you really aren't alone; I have a friend who has had a pretty **** year despite being one of the most intelligent people I have ever met and hence feels as though she has missed her entry requirements for uni and she is pretty petrified. I'm not sure how much it will help, but a technique from Stoic philosophers called negative visualisation could help you come to terms with your results? You basically visualise yourself opening the results and it being the worst possible outcome, and then coming to terms with that and realising that not all is lost. Also, maybe try some of Headspace's meditation course/packs. They have free trials and, if you have a student Spotify subscription you get it free for a year. They have a fair few designed for students as well as ones for calming anxiety and they might be helpful to help calm your nerves in the run-up. I've been using Headspace for a month or two and have definitely seen an improvement.

If you don't get the grades you had hoped for, there is still something you can do. Make a results day plan for yourself if things go southward on Thursday; think about what you want to do and how you can get to where you need to be without going to the uni / doing the apprenticeship / job you have applied to / are applying to or whatever plan you currently have. Have phone numbers and emails ready for the day if you decide to go through clearing for a uni course or apprenticeship, and have a friend or family member who isn't going through the same stresses who you can talk to and who will be able to calm you down and comfort you and help you through the process of finding an alternate path if you need to.

Just know that your grades are very likely not the only thing going for you. As you say the only thing you have going for you is your grades, you must be a very intelligent person to have attained those. Hence, even if your final A level grades aren't representative of that, that doesn't diminish the intelligence and knowledge you have.
DR.DOOM
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was dam right about this, edexcel's grade boundaries are too low and are pretty much like the economy of Zimbabwe, dishing out the top marks to everyone whereas AQA's one are unnecessarily high. What is this madness?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.72%
Excited (151)
9.02%
Worried (303)
18.1%
Terrified (374)
22.34%
Meh (155)
9.26%
Confused (37)
2.21%