epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
For anyone who has done Edexcel history, how are you supposed to answer an Explain Why question, giving at least 3 paragraphs when the main textbook only gives a short exert on it. I understand that the job is to not just copy the textbook, but what I’ve done so far is just craft what it says in the textbook to “explain why”. Does anyone have any tips on how to answer questions where there isn’t enough detail in the first place.
Thanks
Olivia_blckbr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It’s A PEE paragraph. P-point E-evidence E-explain. Paragraphs on this should be only 3-4 lines. A paragraph doesn’t have to take up half a page and neither in the exam would you want to since it’s only worth a little marks for how much you initially write
epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thanks, but in order to explain at the end, you’d need sufficient content to write about. For example (in my last mock) it was something along the lines of ‘How far do you agree that destruction of land and property was the main consequence of the Harrying of the North’. I could write around 10 paragraphs on that consequence, but couldnt barely manage a few sentences of Danish invasion as a consequence. I know how to answer the question (as in how to structure it), but how do I answer the question. I’ve tried looking at exemplars from the textbook and revision guide which seem really inconsistent in quality. I know you said a paragraph should only be 3-4 lines, but how do you explain fully, linking back to the question, including relevant detail and connecting words in order to gain full marks.

For example, what I did for a paragraph for the question above was:
Historians agree that the loss of life and destruction of property was a substantial consequence of the Harrying Of The North. Without any crops to live on or livestock to slaughter and no chance of regrowing crops for next year as William had destroyed all seeds in an attempt to prevent survivors from rebuilding, as many as 100000 people died. This meant that people resorted to cannibalism in order to survive. The loss of life was so catastrophic that human corpses were left rotting in houses and streets. Another contributing factor to these deaths was the destruction of property. Homes were burned down by Williams men during the Harrying, which left many people homeless. This led to further people died as they froze to death during the cold Winter. Therefore one of the main consequences of the Harrying Of The North was loss of life and destruction of property

Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads