The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Should smacking children be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ibyghee
Those ways don't work on every child. Some children yes, they can be taught discipline without violence. Some can't, they are too stubborn.

If you use violence you have failed as a parent.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by ozzyoscy
I said you need to relax. 'Snowflake' doesn't even mean anything, it's just a safety word for internet arguers, doesn't hurt anyone. Chill, man.

I'm sorry for hurting ur feelings over the internet.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If you use violence you have failed as a parent.

Wow, nice. You said a point without any support.

If you like chocolate you have no life.
Original post by ibyghee
I'm sorry for hurting ur feelings over the internet.

I figured you're an internet arguer and last worder, so I'm gifting you the magical last word. Now prove me wrong by snatching at it:
Original post by ozzyoscy
I figured you're an internet arguer and last worder, so I'm gifting you the magical last word. Now prove me wrong by snatching at it:

I'm sorry for being an internet arguer and making you feel bad.
Original post by ibyghee
Wow, nice. You said a point without any support.

If you like chocolate you have no life.

We are taught throughout our lives that violence against each others is wrong, being violent to your child goes directly against this.
We are taught throughout our lives that violence against each others is wrong, being violent to your child goes directly against this.

Like I don't even realise why any of you are using logic. Go to someones house whos parents dont hit their children, and see how they behave, then go to one which is vice versa. I guarantee you 99% of the time, the one that gets hit is so much more respectful.
Original post by ibyghee
Like I don't even realise why any of you are using logic. Go to someones house whos parents dont hit their children, and see how they behave, then go to one which is vice versa. I guarantee you 99% of the time, the one that gets hit is so much more respectful.

I didn't get hit as a child unless my mother was being abusive for which she was reprimanded by the law. I have grown up to be perfectly decent person.

None of my friends came from violent homes and they are all well rounded people.
I didn't get hit as a child unless my mother was being abusive for which she was reprimanded by the law. I have grown up to be perfectly decent person.

None of my friends came from violent homes and they are all well rounded people.

You clearly haven't seen the respect that a person with strict parents gives.
Adults: protected from physical harm , but able to defend themselves
Children: not protected from harm, unable to defend themselves as the assailant is usually an adult, as well as a close relative, usually a parent. Also it’s usually a repeat process, as they can’t just decide to leave.

That makes no sense , does it? All the other adults I know who’ve been hit or beaten as kids suffer from mental trauma the rest of their lives. It breaks families apart, because once you’ve been abused you can’t look at that person without remembering that trauma. It does more harm than good. Children are also conditioned , brain wise, to think they are inferior to adults in every way , so they will think that they are rightly being beaten , instead of learning not to harm others. Kids who are beaten also go on to grow up and hit others , even their own kids. My family never used force, only sharp tongues, and I am certainly not a “spoiled” person because of this, rather it taught me the right values to use in my adult life. Harm is never ever the answer, in my opinion.
Original post by ibyghee
You clearly haven't seen the respect that a person with strict parents gives.

Don't confuse respect with fear.

Quick Reply

Latest