no. you're sweaxy.

oo still sexy though
Oldspeak
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RoadWarrior)
I don't mind the pay. I mean it's not bad, and I would hate to be an IBer anyway :p:
IBer or ASer, I'm gonna become a barrister to comfort my soul, not to get paid.
though I wouldn't mind a million pounds
Ilyusha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by I can't remember and can't be bothered to check)
ok, Vivek/anyone who's heard the coldplay album: which one do you like better- Viva La Vida or Violet Hill?
I'm not sure.... maybe viva la vida because I got violet hill first and listened to it loads and got rather bored of it. Not sure tho.

(Original post by piece_by_piece)
They don't even get paid that much. Unlike you IBers
Tons of GPs earn 100,000+ - that's not as much as an ultra ib-er, but hardly any aspiring bankers get an ultra job (eg goldmans). There are tons more who fail and end up in the back office/have a nervous breakdown, whereas most intelligent people who want to do medicine will manage it (not as cut-throat as the city). Plus doctors have 100x more job security than bankers - traders etc can get fired any day if they/their department don't do well (or just general economic problems eg credit crunch) with no warning.
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Lawyers get paid loadsssssssss and you know it is not as soul-cleansing as you think...
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lawyers get paid loadsssssssss and you know it is not as soul-cleansing as you think...

It's really depressing actually. I shadowed a barrister and she took me to a prison where we met a hardcore druggie who had schizophrenia and was clinically depressed because his mum died.

For me it's soul cleansing in a beautifully tragic way.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by anna_c_100)
Tons of GPs earn 100,000+ - that's not as much as an ultra ib-er, but hardly any aspiring bankers get an ultra job (eg goldmans). There are tons more who fail and end up in the back office/have a nervous breakdown, whereas most intelligent people who want to do medicine will manage it (not as cut-throat as the city). Plus doctors have 100x more job security than bankers - traders etc can get fired any day if they/their department don't do well (or just general economic problems eg credit crunch) with no warning.
I don't wanna be a GP though- very boring job IMO. I completely agree though about job security, and I suppose job satisfaction as a doctor is far higher than an IBer.
trance addict
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not sure.... maybe viva la vida because I got violet hill first and listened to it loads and got rather bored of it. Not sure tho.

hmm bit of a rogue post there eh

tech salaries (i know for goldmans) cap out at 80-100k, while its back office it's a bit easier to get into than medicine i'd say (goldman recruiting straight from imperial and all that, and tech jobs are at a 5:1 ratio with traders)
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldspeak)
It's really depressing actually. I shadowed a barrister and she took me to a prison where we met a hardcore druggie who had schizophrenia and was clinically depressed because his mum died.

For me it's soul cleansing in a beautifully tragic way.
Yeah, but what if you're defending someone who has commited the crime? You are getting paid to lie...How soul-cleansing is that?
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't wanna be a GP though- very boring job IMO. I completely agree though about job security, and I suppose job satisfaction as a doctor is far higher than an IBer.
how so? thats complete opinion, id find myself more satisfied and happy writing software than saving lifes

(then again my mum always says ive been a moron from birth)
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
I don't mind being a GP, but a surgeon or something is better IMO
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, but what if you're defending someone who has commited the crime? You are getting paid to lie...How soul-cleansing is that?

I would never defend a liar if I knew he/she was lying to me.
edit: no matter how much money I'd be paid for it.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
so what...

MONIES

:teeth:

id do law but my grades will be teh sux =[
Ilyusha
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't wanna be a GP though- very boring job IMO.
Ah - everyone says that at first! Apparently it's really easy to be tempted away from being in a proper hospital with the good pay + nice hours + part-time possibilities (good for mums) that GPs get.

And job satisfaction isn't necessarily higher - my dad (trader) loves his job - very intellecually stimulating. Plus it's quite cool coming home and telling your family that you made £2 million that day (his highest ever, his bank's really profiting from the credit crunch).

If you were a doctor and you kept being unable to save patients then that would be far more soul-destroying than a banker's faliure (losing money, you can always make some more).
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by trance addict)
how so? thats complete opinion, id find myself more satisfied and happy writing software than saving lifes

I've been hyper since birth :proud:
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago

There's your answer

Joke, obviously.

Writing software makes no immense difference to people's lives, whereas as a doctor someone may be rushed into casualty at 3am having been shot in the heart and your knowledge and practice of the subject saves their life. What could possibly be more rewarding than that?
RoadWarrior
Rep:
?
I have read and seen enough crime movies :p:

The crim tells you that he commited the crime, and you have to invent a story which either lets him get away with it, or reduces the punishment. That would be your job. You would have to lie to the judge and jury...still soul-cleansing?
Ilyusha
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You think that now, but if you're a criminal defence lawyer then you'll have to defend guilty people - not every case can be preventing a miscarriage of justice for the simple fact that most people charged with a crime are guilty.
trance addict
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There's your answer

Joke, obviously.

Writing software makes no immense difference to people's lives, whereas as a doctor someone may be rushed into casualty at 3am having been shot in the heart and your knowledge and practice of the subject saves their life. What could possibly be more rewarding than that?
that software could improve trading which generates more money for the bank, how is that not satisfying?
Oldspeak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You think that now, but if you're a criminal defence lawyer then you'll have to defend guilty people - not every case can be preventing a miscarriage of justice for the simple fact that most people charged with a crime are guilty.

But guilty people are still entitled to be defended and fairly trialled, that I agree with.
billet-doux
Report 11 years ago
that software could improve trading which generates more money for the bank, how is that not satisfying?
It simply doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. It wouldn't evoke any kind of emotion within me, neither happiness nor sadness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads